Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 07:27 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,568,768 times

Advertisements

Ok this is MY reasons why it should be legal well decimalized would be a better word. Not going to post any links to support my thoughts or ideas this is just MY feelings on the subject.

Pushing 50 in a couple of months and I've had ADHD for most of my life and it's getting worse of late.

Sleep is something that doesn't come easy for me not since I hit 30 something my mind is like an AM radio like your trying to pick up a decent station to listen too. All I hear in my head is static and sometimes my mind goes to some really strange places/thoughts mind you. And I wake up thinking what the hell was that? Sometimes it takes me over an hour to go to sleep or more. IF I have pushed myself physically then I have a better chance at getting a good nights rest, even still that doesn't mean I'll be able to sleep.

Big music lover here but once I get a song into my head it's there for days even when I'm trying to sleep,work have a conversion with someone even now on here I have three other windows opened because I can't stay focused enough on here long enough to finish this out without opening up another window. At this point I've been trying to type this out of some 15 mins. I haven't even got into talking about my OCD which is bad enough with having ADHD to go long with it. Trying to stay focused at work can be a real challenge as well.

Tried different meds before when I was younger and I found out that my tolerance for them is VERY high and my immune system is too strong so I don't bother with them, nor do I like the way they make me feel
and the side effects that come with them. Talked with a psychiatrist who worked for the military she asked me if I smoked and I told her yes and how meds just don't help me. She agreed and wished that she could prescribe medical marijuana to those who would benefit from it's use. While I live in a VERY liberal part of North Carolina some places still drug test and I can't risk losing my job, nor so I want to go out and find another one, not just yet.

It's been another 20 mins since I've stated this post. If you have seen my past post on any part of this forum you can see that some of them seem to be rushed or edited more then once. I'm sure I'm not alone in the way I feel here about it being decimalized.

Again this is MY reasons for wanting it decimalized and my reason alone. It's now been about an hr for me to type this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 07:34 AM

13,288 posts, read 8,488,520 times
You did well in expressing your view on decriminalizing this current law on controlled or mind alternating substance.
I politely disagree as I've witnessed the abuse of chemicals .

Old 09-17-2017, 08:22 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,497,953 times
Quote:
While I live in a VERY liberal part of North Carolina some places still drug test and I can't risk losing my job, nor so I want to go out and find another one, not just yet.
Just so you know, even in states where it is legal, companies still drug test.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

Just so you know, even in states where it is legal, companies still drug test.

I know. There are a lot of places here that don't drug test unless you get hurt they get that the majority of people here smoke. Get hurt and it's on you but those jobs are more lower paying then most.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:44 AM

10,505 posts, read 7,072,783 times
I don't partake, but here's my answer. It's really not the government's business. Historically, there are zero cases of death by marijuana overdose. Meanwhile, you can stroll into any liquor store, hand over your Visa, and buy enough hooch to kill drink yourself to death. What's the distinction?

Old 09-17-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

I don't partake, but here's my answer. It's really not the government's business. Historically, there are zero cases of death by marijuana overdose. Meanwhile, you can stroll into any liquor store, hand over your Visa, and buy enough hooch to kill drink yourself to death. What's the distinction?

That's an answer if you want to go down that road, but why would you?

Old 09-17-2017, 10:24 AM

34,131 posts, read 83,135,870 times
As a natural state AG product if should be fully legal by default.

Want to have control of sales so it isn't on the lunchroom menu at the local grade school?
OK... that's reasonable.

Beyond that... 'control' should be limited to USDA and County Extension Agents.
Keep the cops and courts and the judges and the jails and the MONEY out of it.
---

As a legal AG product there is no good reason for the producer value to be more than any similar produce.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:21 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,974,541 times
It's so obvious.
1. Prohibition didn't work for liquor or for marijuana. It just creates a black market that benefits criminals and the legal system.
2. Enforcement of drug laws costs money and ruins people's lives for no good reason.
3. Legal and illegal drugs have the same potential for doing good and harm. There's no difference between them.
4. In countries and states where drugs have been decriminalized there's no increase in crime or drug usage.
5. What you do in the privacy of your own home ought to be no one's business as long as you aren't hurting someone else.
6. Marijuana has been proven to be useful in alleviating pain, nausea, tremors for some medical conditions to a better extent than conventional drugs and with less side effects.
7. Many people use marijuana recreationally for decades and still fulfill all their responsibilites of work, home ownership, raising children, etc. They are no better or worse citizens or parents than those who have a drink or two after dinner. But they are subject to arrest, legal expenses, fines and imprisonment for no reason at all other than the drug has been declared illegal.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:38 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,025,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
You did well in expressing your view on decriminalizing this current law on controlled or mind alternating substance.
I politely disagree as I've witnessed the abuse of chemicals .
But....... cannabis isn't a chemical.

It's also not controlled in many states now (mine included), nor is it generally considered a "mind-altering drug." So really, all of your points are kind of moot. Not to mention, witnessing the abuse of anything doesn't constitute a solid reason to ban it from everyone else. I've witnessed my share of alcohol abuse, but still don't think alcohol should be prohibited. We tried that and it failed, lol.

I can really relate to the OP, having a combination of ADD and OCD myself - and cannabis is the ONLY thing that helps sometimes, without any side effects beyond maybe the munchies. My job doesn't drug test (plus I never partake before/during work), and it's now legal for both medical AND recreational use here. So why would I even consider chemical pharmaceuticals instead?

I've tried a number of meds over the years, including Ritalin, Prozac, Vyvanse, Wellbutrin, etc, and hated all but maybe the Vyvanse. The Ritalin straight-up made me feel SUICIDAL, which I have never felt in my life. I've been depressed here and there, but suicidal? Never. Thankfully I was old enough (late 30s) and self-aware enough to recognize the cause, and immediately stopped taking the stuff. So yeah, back to cannabis only and feeling better than I did on those man-made drugs. I'm thankful to live in California, where they recognize an adult's right to use this plant as needed.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-17-2017 at 01:51 PM..

Old 09-17-2017, 02:43 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,651,249 times
Yes, definitely needs to be legal, but it wont really change until its legal nationwide, its still going to be very expensive and heavily regulated if only legal in a handful of states.

People need to stand up and fight the DEA, all their efforts and laws just ensure the drug cartels get richer and richer. In fact I think thats why they have so much power to begin with, they have some DEEEEP pockets backing them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates