Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:58 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I vote that we just discontinue playing the anthem at sports events. Nothing "patriotic" about sports anyway.........
But why. We have to stop doing something traditional (might want to read up on how it started) because a few stirred up controversy using it as an avenue to air their personal political agendas?
Should we just discontinue every tradition because a couple people show themselves during its observation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 08:38 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
The American collective of new age patriots is mistaking freedom as something akin to iconic allegiance. Symbolic allegiance comes from a long history of despotic regimes which have dictated the terms of national compliance, but this is America-- let them sit down, lie down, roll around on the ground, or walk off the field, after all they have contracted to play, not pledge their allegiance....

Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,473 times
It's "democracy" alright, but that other word is spelled differently.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:07 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
I vote that we just discontinue playing the anthem at sports events. Nothing "patriotic" about sports anyway.........
Well that won't solve anything. The players are now making their TD celebrations political.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:25 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
The American collective of new age patriots is mistaking freedom as something akin to iconic allegiance. Symbolic allegiance comes from a long history of despotic regimes which have dictated the terms of national compliance, but this is America-- let them sit down, lie down, roll around on the ground, or walk off the field, after all they have contracted to play, not pledge their allegiance....
You are reading way to much into taking a minute to stand for the NA in a show of respect and act of unity as fellow Americans.

Your right the players have contracted to play not protest, not make political stands. They are free to sit out the NA in the locker room. They are free to protest yet their choice may come with consequences. The people are free to voice their disapproval, verbally and with their wallets.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not at their job when they are "on the clock". You were once a principle, do you think its ok for yourself or your teachers to bring their political agenda into the classroom? For your teachers during a student program where parents and family have come to see their child preform to take a knee or otherwise show protest for their unrelated political agendas? I know this would not be tolerated in the school system. It wouldn't be tolerated in my job.
There are other avenues to bring about change. The media is a big one. Lobbying your representatives. Community meetings, permitted protests, marches, speeches on college campuses, town halls, a variety of venues.
Sure its OK, this is how they were able to reach so many people and get everyone talking about it, if they did it 'off the clock' or at home, I doubt it would have gotten the coverage it has.

Being totally subservient and obedient while protesting is not really effective, real change usually only comes from the total opposite.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:41 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Not at their job when they are "on the clock". You were once a principle, do you think its ok for yourself or your teachers to bring their political agenda into the classroom? For your teachers during a student program where parents and family have come to see their child preform to take a knee or otherwise show protest for their unrelated political agendas? I know this would not be tolerated in the school system. It wouldn't be tolerated in my job.
There are other avenues to bring about change. The media is a big one. Lobbying your representatives. Community meetings, permitted protests, marches, speeches on college campuses, town halls, a variety of venues.
First of all, will you please learn the difference between a principle and a principal.

No, it would not have been okay for a teacher to bring their politics into the classroom in any overt way. And the rules about that were clear and set forth and enforced. In the NFL, at least in the past, it's been a different story. The players were required to be on the field, and the rule told them what they "should" do, not what they "must" do. And, the owners -- you know...the bosses -- didn't enforce any mis-written rule.

And the two key words here are "must" and "should", and legally there's a heluva lot of difference between those two words.

Last edited by phetaroi; 10-17-2017 at 10:19 AM..

Old 10-17-2017, 09:42 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
We should really not be showing any honor to or respecting the tyrannical govt that currently exists either.

Its perfectly fine and patriotic to honor what this country was founded on, its original principles, but cannot show this same respect to what it has morphed into.

I think the founding fathers would be highly disappointed 'taking a knee' is all thats going on! The people were given the right (and duty) to throw off such govts if they ever gained power.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I agree. It's a petty, though popular pastime. I see no connection at all between playing football and honoring country.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
You seem to have overlooked: People are arguing the players have a right to protest and people have a right not to stand for the anthem. I totally agree.

As well I have stated my personal issue is that they chose to PROTEST ON THE JOB, at a ball game and in my personal opinion that is not acceptable. Many agree, many dont.

Standing for the anthem during ball games is a near 100 year old tradition. I know a lot of folks especially younger folks dont give a rats hairy behind but many, many people do care about American traditions.
People also care about our individual rights for which the flag represents. But here is the thing, along with rights comes responsibility. We still have a procedure or code or rules that apply for exercising those rights even if they are unspoken or unwritten as it would be.
While they have every right to protest, it is bad form to do it during the NA at their place of employment and a place people come NOT to see your political agenda. If they just dont want to stand for the anthem they are permitted to stay off the field until its over. No one disputes that right.

So there is no disconnect here.
Oh, so in one post you were preaching what the players were required to do on the job, while now you're saying it's a tradition.

And "unspoken or unwritten" and "rules" are two very different concepts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates