Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 08:43 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,727,834 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, this is my first thread in 3 years. I was prohibited for starting an account under-age. I also circumvented under some other accounts.

Anyways, back to the topic. As a foreigner[Was born in Mexico, raised in Argentina as a newborn, in Mexico from ages 2 to 5, Texas since 2008, anyways]. My exposure to American culture has led me into thinking if we are the most socially divisive, tribalistic and greedy culture. Just look at the current political and social climate in our country to use as an example...

Old 01-16-2018, 09:18 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,412,689 times
Historically? You do realize that there was a time in this country when factions took up arms against one another, dividing communities or even families, resulting in 625,000 dead Americans, right? More Americans were killed in that conflict than were killed in both World Wars, Vietnam, and the Korean War combined.

Culturally? People across the globe have been slaughtering one another for being the wrong religion, race, tribe, etc. for eons. The Third Reich. The Balkans. "The Troubles" in Ireland. Rwanda. The West Bank. Myanmar. Darfur. That barely scratches the surface, and that's only over the last century or so. It's no better the farther back you go. The Russian Revolution. The Napoleonic Wars. The conquest of the Aztecs. The Qing conquests. The War of the Roses. Timur. Genghis Khan. The Crusades. The Lushan Rebellion. The Gallic Wars. The Punic Wars. On and on and on.

But things are bad now because people say mean things online to one another? Not everything is perfect, but there are no roving hordes of vandals on my lawn at the moment. It's been ages since I've seen a head impaled on a spike. I don't have to live in a walled city to protect myself from conquest.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:52 PM

I mean i could be overthinking it yes every country is like that, but especially here in the US. You will see not many of the social movements[Even the lgbt community is not that active in the outside world, Sweden is the only exception into this, just look at their education lol] operating in the foreign world.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:59 PM

12,906 posts, read 9,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I mean i could be overthinking it yes every country is like that, but especially here in the US. You will see not many of the social movements[Even the lgbt community is not that active in the outside world, Sweden is the only exception into this, just look at their education lol] operating in the foreign world.
That's because the rest of the world isn't accepting of other cultures. Gays get thrown off of buildings in some countries.

You need to push the reset button. Horrible start.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That's because the rest of the world isn't accepting of other cultures. Gays get thrown off of buildings in some countries.

You need to push the reset button. Horrible start.

I knew that already. I am mainly talking the western/developed world here.

But really I guess America is really a melting pot as most people say, the rich just try to control the media and pollute our brains with the social and political issues they indoctrinate into our atmosphere.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:31 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,413,079 times
OP -- If your premise were true this country would not sending all that foreign aid money to other countries. We would still have the Irish, Chinese and Polish not allowed to get a decent job or education.
You must have a very slanted view of Western culture.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:54 AM

9,396 posts, read 9,382,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
OP -- If your premise were true this country would not sending all that foreign aid money to other countries. We would still have the Irish, Chinese and Polish not allowed to get a decent job or education.
You must have a very slanted view of Western culture.
Likely a very young poster or not very aware of world history, politics, religion, etc.
The US has its problems, but this is still a very blessed country. Other parts of the world cannot say the same, and as another poster mentioned we are in a far more civilized place across the world than say 1000 years ago.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:38 AM

12,906 posts, read 9,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Likely a very young poster or not very aware of world history, politics, religion, etc.
The US has its problems, but this is still a very blessed country. Other parts of the world cannot say the same, and as another poster mentioned we are in a far more civilized place across the world than say 1000 years ago.
People are pushing their way in, not out of the US. Are we perfect? No. Do we have some jackasses in leadership. You bet. But, this is a great country overall. Hard work, works here.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I am starting to think critically on all of this.

I guess if I wanted to live on a more divisive society, the UK would be worse then...

Old 01-17-2018, 11:39 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,412,689 times
If you're starting to think critically on this, I would suggest you might start by considering that "worst ever" and "best ever" are a waste of time. No way the modern US is the most peaceful society on the planet or in history. No way does it even approach the most divided or most polarized. So far, the 21st century is a fairly safe place to live for most people on the planet, and that is especially true for Americans. There's more opportunity for more people than at most points in our history, and more than you'll find in many other parts of the world. But that doesn't make it perfect.

There's no binary choice here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates