Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 03:30 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times

Advertisements

I am pro-SNAP, but against pet food.
I am also against SNAP covering fast food (soda, chips, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 04:41 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Most butcher shops, even those inside the big chain grocery stores, will still sell or almost give away, the scraps of meat they cant sell, those that no one wants. Its just not as convenient as packaged dog food.

No, not always, at least for the larger/chain supermarkets.

Just as they will not "give away" food to the homeless or whatever in need, ditto goes for bones or scraps from the meat department. It comes down to issues of liability

Old 01-29-2018, 07:39 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
As a taxpayer I do not want to pay for the pet food of millions of people.
Yeah. Make them eat the dog before they apply for foodstamps. That way, before they're on the dole, you know they've actually exhausted all possible means to feed themselves.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:57 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
People can have pets & then become sick or disabled, I don't think they should have to give up a beloved pet because they had the misfortune fo becoming disabled or whatever circumstance led to SNAP. They may as well people buy pet food, becasue, lets face it, if they are really short of money but have food stamps, they are going to buy things like canned tuna or ground meats to feed the animals anyhow.
Yup.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I am pro-SNAP, but against pet food.
I am also against SNAP covering fast food (soda, chips, etc).
Well, you can't stop them from buying chicken/eggs, and rice or potatoes to feed their dog, or tuna to feed the cat. If they want to budget part of the same money to feed animals it's no skin off your nose.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:14 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
I'm 100% for pet food for SNAP benefits, with one caveat.

If we're going to treat dogs with the same benefits as humans, I want both recipients spade and neutered.

Don't get me wrong. I like this program as is. There's too many hungry children.

I also like dogs, and know that they're good companions for some of the worst off.

But this ask...is wrong.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:34 PM

There is no way they are going to increase the amount given to allow for pet food. The question is only can people use part of their allowance on pet food.

PS, please give pet food to the food bank if to you animals and their hoomins are important to you. They WILL get it this way.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:54 AM

274 posts, read 294,468 times
Wow, sounds like some crazy petition. Sometimes pet stores and local shelter groups or other organizations can help with pet food costs in emergency situations.

SNAP benefits generally aren't even used responsibly by people in the first place. Not saying this is the case for all families by any means, and unfortunately, many on SNAP aren't choosing to buy healthy foods for their families after the many studies they've done. I've also seen some people with SNAP benefits that waste it on all instant foods, sodas, chips, and unhealthy foods. I am totally for people being able to get nutritional assistance to feed their families for the time they actually need it (and they're actively trying to find a better situation in which they don't need this assistance anymore). Totally for SNAP, against junk food SNAP users, and against people using their SNAP benefits for pet food.

Quote:
Pet food is not overly expensive
I have to disagree with this. I mean, I suppose it depends what you buy as there are these days bulk options. However, if you want good quality, or even stuff that's considered "better quality/organic/grain free/GMO free/etc." that it will cost you a lot more. I remember for food for two cats, any old dry food was probably about $12 - $25 for a huge bag and that would generally last about 3-4 months. So, no, not bad. Although, when we discovered they did not handle a cheap dry food and we ended up getting a better quality one, it ended up being about $40 - $45 for a large bulk bag for 3-4 months. When they stopped being able to handle that dry food as they aged (not like dry food is good for our felines or canines anyway), our pet food cost went up to $20/month for a lower quality moist canned variety. If we had gone for a higher quality or one of those natural, organic "real food varieties" like they should be having, that could've easily been over $40/month. If you feed your pets meats and canned fish from the store and prepare them at home, you can still spend about $20 - $40/month depending. It adds up quickly and that would've been an extra $20 or $40 that a family could've spent on groceries for themselves.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:33 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
You know, after reading the ASPCA article, and thinking about how much my tax dollars are wasted in other areas, I have no problem allowing $20 - $40 a month for a family pet. The guy in Mississippi is right, pets are family, and you shouldn't break the family up just because it needs assistance.

We pretend to be a humane society. As someone else said, there is nothing preventing someone on SNAP from buying eggs and rice etc to feed them anyway. For some elderly and disabled people, their pet is the most social interaction they have.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:50 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
There are some pet food banks for people who need it. I find it interesting that the ASPCA wants the gubmint to pay for the pet food, instead of the ASPCA paying for it or sending out vouchers to people who need it. What do they do with all their money besides paying lawyer bills for the lawsuits they lost?

What's next, Medicaid to cover vet bills?

I think it is great that we have SNAP benefits for people but let's keep it at that. For people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates