Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 01:47 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
So, you're going to start a revolution and guillotine taxpayers because we don't want to buy you cat food? Sounds brilliant.
Lol, considering that neither myself nor any members of my known family have ever made use of any of these safety nets, don't expect to see me at the head of the revolution.

I'm just trying to give you a heads-up if things deteriorate for the disadvantaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 01:50 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Read a story where there's a petition to allow SNAP benefits (Food Stamps) to be used to purchase pet food.

Thought it was an interesting question to pose as to whether it should.

I can come up with reasons both to allow it and not allow it. Pet food is not overly expensive, however, someone who can't afford to feed themselves shouldn't have pets that they need to take care of.. If they can't pay to feed the pets, how will they afford other things pets need, like vaccinations and the like?

But, I think one of the biggest concerns that i'd have.. If pet food is allowed.. Would you wind up having people eating pet food? I remember reading stories back in the day where some elderly people would do that because it was all that they could afford.
Had a conversation with my good friend in Russia about this years ago. When we first met he and his wife were dirt poor but they had a cat and a medium sized terrier dog. The pets ate what they ate and were happy for it. Neither pet was fussy.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:46 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
As a taxpayer I do not want to pay for the pet food of millions of people.
But you'd rather pay for the already-full shelters to expand services, when these folks are forced to give up their pets? And don't worry, you probably aren't paying more than like 2 pennies a year for this. Also, I highly doubt MILLIONS of pet owners would be using this program... perhaps you're confusing the number of total pet owners with those on SNAP/welfare?

Now to answer the OP's question, as I just said, it's better than having people give up their beloved pets! And saying "they shouldn't have them in the first place" is moot, because one can fall on hard times AFTER acquiring their pets. I've had my cat Cyrus for 17 years, and my situation has changed many times during these years. I was a college student when I got him, then a retail worker, then a grad student, then a struggling part-timer in the recession; and now I'm a 41 year-old with a great full-time job. But I take my pet ownership responsibilities seriously, and never once considered giving him (or my other pets) up - even if it meant using my own grocery food for them instead. I've never been on SNAP or welfare, btw.

So if this helps people to keep the pets they've loved and cared for over xx years, I'm all for it. Better than the alternative, no? People have these same arguments over SNAP and other benefits for human children, but again, you have no idea what their situation was when the kids were born. Ever heard of divorce, widowing, job loss, illness/injury?? Things can change very quickly, and there's not much you can do if the children are already alive. This is why such programs were invented, as no child in our country should go hungry - even if their parents did make poor decisions at some point.

Tip for anyone who is struggling: When I was having a hard time with buying pet food, I'd go to the independent stores (e.g. NOT Petsmart or Petco), and ask if they had any free samples. This one store would LOAD ME UP with like a dozen small bags every time, which saved me a lot of money on dry food. And it's no skin off their backs, since the companies give them to stores for the sole reason of advertising/distributing them to potential customers. And hey, if my cats really liked a certain brand in there, I'd be more likely to buy a large bag when I had the money.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-30-2018 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-30-2018, 02:53 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Pets are not humans, in case you didn't know. If you don't have a problem, the you can give up your money, instead of prying money from the hands of hard working people.
In case I didn't know? Saying I don't have a problem would indicate that I AM a hard working person that no one would have to pry the money out of my hands, in case YOU didn't know.

Every missile our government has been bombarding another country with cost us tax payers $1 million, in case you didn't know. Just holding back what? 10 little missiles? would feed every pet in America, and quite a few of their owners too.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Life is all about making difficult decisions. Giving up a pet, because you cannot afford it is just one more difficult decision.
One that will cost you/me even more, since the shelters are usually city or county funded. Where do you think they get their money to care for the animals people surrender? It's not just from donations.

Quote:
Note that if a person cannot afford food for a pet, they cannot also afford proper veterinary care, such as getting rabies booster shots every three years.
That's why they have low-cost clinics (like VIP Petcare), shelter vet services, etc. And if you're in a really tough but temporary situation, skipping a vet appointment here & there isn't the end of the world. I actually CAN afford it, and often just forget or can't get them there for a few months after due dates. I do keep up with their rabies shots, though; and you can do those for $12 at the VIP clinics.

Also, even people with low credit scores and incomes can qualify for CareCredit - which is like a credit card you can use at the vet, in case of emergencies or other expenses you might not be able to afford that day. Of course it still needs to be paid back, but at least that offers some breathing room.

Quote:
Pets are not humans, in case you didn't know. If you don't have a problem, the you can give up your money, instead of prying money from the hands of hard working people.
No, that's not how things work. But as a hard-working tax-paying citizen myself, I would GLADLY give more money to this program, over half of what my money otherwise goes towards. Hell, I'd even add a few pennies (all this would really cost) to my annual taxes for this. So please; you don't speak for all of us "hard working people." Do you even know what your taxes pay for every year? Much of it goes against my very principles, and costs WAY more than some pet food allowances ever could. But yeah, let's keep silent about all that, while whining about a few bags of cat/dog food. This is what's wrong with 'Murica.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:02 PM

166 posts, read 116,838 times
Comfort pets are a dirt chea form of therapy for those who are down and out.
To kick them while they are down not providing a means for them to keep the only dedicated family. member they have is hard to digest.

This is such a small cost which reaps huge benefits. It's surprising SNAP hasn't already offered a type of pet food. Even if that is in the form of picking it up in cans/bags at the welfare office or delivery.

Much bigger fish to fry that result in a measurable savings than this type of thing that keeps people mentally healthy and their spirits up. Pretty much a requirement to getting paid employment

Old 01-30-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I am pro-SNAP, but against pet food.
I am also against SNAP covering fast food (soda, chips, etc).
This is the Great Debates forum - you're supposed to explain WHY, and not just do a "drive-by" opinion.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:16 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
Companion animals are completely innocent. They are "stuck" with the person who happens to own them. They didn't make bad choices or do drugs or fail to work hard or become disabled or any of the things that lead people on to the SNAP program. They're just hungry. I have NO problem allowing SNAP to cover pet food. I actually wouldn't mind it too much if they fed the pets FIRST.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:22 PM

166 posts, read 116,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Companion animals are completely innocent. They are "stuck" with the person who happens to own them. They didn't make bad choices or do drugs or fail to work hard or become disabled or any of the things that lead people on to the SNAP program. They're just hungry. I have NO problem allowing SNAP to cover pet food. I actually wouldn't mind it too much if they fed the pets FIRST.
Excellent point. There are plenty of non-profit organizations which provide pet food for pets at no cost. Yet those with owners who are just as down and out shouldn't be descriminated against. They have a right to eat too

Old 01-30-2018, 03:25 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
No, unemployment insurance is insurance. The workers who are receiving those benefits have paid into a specific program and are now receiving the promised benefits. Let me know if you need me to explain how insurance works. You can use the money to buy food, fix he car, or even buy lottery tickets. There are no strings attached.

Social Security is a benefit that workers have paid into. So again, people drawing Social Security are drawing on money that they have paid into the system. Again, let me know if you need me to explain how Social Security works. The money belongs to the workers who are drawing it.

I think someone needs to explain to you how Unemployment insurance works. Haven't you ever read any of those big posters at work that explain the the cost of UE is paid 100% by the employer?

I suppose another problem, after reading through some of the opinions here.. If you expand the benefit, which I was not talking about.. How does the government tell how many pets someone has? They fill out a form and say they have 20 dogs?

The people who say let recipients spend the money as they see fit.. Lord almighty what a bad idea. Myself, as a single male, I'm reasonably certain that even if I was out of work, I probably wouldn't qualify for SNAP.. The main focus of the program is to protect kids. You give parents money to feed the kids but don't put restrictions on where it can be spent. Those kids are still going to go hungry.

I suppose my view on most social programs.. I really don't have issues with them existing.. But I don't want to be treated as a chump by those using them. I would hope that most people have that attitude. "Neighbor, you need a hand? Here.".. But when that hand is bitten by the neighbor taking the assistance and buying drugs or a brand new car.. Or people who just live off the handouts and generosity of others. That ticks people off. Take a handout when you need it, but work to NOT need it so that the next group who needs it will have it there for them. Not stay on the dole and think that I should pay out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates