Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 09:12 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

I was the last generation (early millennials) to grow up before social media changed everything. Forums we're still a thing but forums have been replaced by Facebook groups, Tumblr replies and Sub-Reddits. Even news websites and local stations get more activity on Facebook replies. Side-bar, do people even blog outside of Tumblr anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 06:28 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Forums are a dying breed to the younger generations who only post to social media. For more experienced folk, forums are still actively used. There will still be a market for good forums in the future.
This is precisely why I still frequent City-Data, as I'm 41 years old and well-educated... I've tried having conversations or debates (with strangers) on social media like Facebook or BuzzFeed, and quickly realize I'm dealing with young and/or stupid people. They're also more geared towards SHORT replies, whereas a forum like this allows for longer posts.

I recently tried to discuss an issue (relating to sexual identity) on another platform, and a girl called me "granny" in response. Really? I don't even have kids, but if I did, being a grandma by 41 would require some seriously short generations. I'm not a hillbilly, lol. But yeah, that just reminded me why I prefer to discuss things with other ADULTS. Or at least people who know how to act like mature adults.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:47 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
Forums are like anything on the internet - you have to use a little common sense and understand that anyone may be a paid poster, a troll, lying, etc. Having said that I enjoy forums like C-D even though I understand that sort of thing goes on. But would I use a home remedy on my dog that was suggested here? Not without checking into it a little on my own unless it is something that clearly could do no harm.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:11 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
How would you feel if one of the websites you frequented was occupied by paid patrons whose sole purpose was to create a perception of an active community? While some of the patrons may be average Joes looking for advice or entertainment, a contingent of the membership consisted of professionals who are paid to participate and stir up participation among the genuine membership. It'd be like a real life, albeit virtual, version of the Truman Show.

How would you feel if you found that out? Would you feel that your trust had been violated? Would/could you still participate in a community knowing this?
If they bring up some good topics for discussion, I don't care if they're paid or not. Sometimes these forums can get a little stagnant.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:49 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
This is precisely why I still frequent City-Data, as I'm 41 years old and well-educated... I've tried having conversations or debates (with strangers) on social media like Facebook or BuzzFeed, and quickly realize I'm dealing with young and/or stupid people. They're also more geared towards SHORT replies, whereas a forum like this allows for longer posts.

I recently tried to discuss an issue (relating to sexual identity) on another platform, and a girl called me "granny" in response. Really? I don't even have kids, but if I did, being a grandma by 41 would require some seriously short generations. I'm not a hillbilly, lol. But yeah, that just reminded me why I prefer to discuss things with other ADULTS. Or at least people who know how to act like mature adults.
I think it's "too each their own". While I agree that Facebook or Buzzfeed or Tumblr are generally not great places to have discussions, there are other platforms that other major platforms where the discussions can be very informed and thought-provoking.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:54 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
What sites are you thinking might be in this category? This one? Others?

Dish...we want to hear!
There are other major platforms who have admitted as much. Not of their own doing necessarily, but from groups who try to push a certain agenda.

That said, I do personally believe there are trolls and provocateurs who act on behalf of the admins to stir up controversy and activity for the sake of advertising revenue. Obviously, I'm not permitted to call out any individuals on these allegations. But I can still have my personal beliefs based on what I've observed. Others have spoken out to me about their own observations as well.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:53 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
They should pay me to post here.
I should also get paid for working out.
lol

Old 02-09-2018, 02:56 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
OP, match.com does something similar. It has people or robots who pose as real match.com users and interact with other users online to try to keep users interested and to make it seem like very good looking men or women are interested in you. These fake people or robots disappear online (for example, take their profile down, close their profile, etc) after making contact with you to make match.com seem like a better website than it is with more positive activity from good looking desirable users....

Old 02-11-2018, 12:45 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Well, I HAVE wondered about the plethora of first-time users being the majority of thread-starters. Usually it's a provocative, kind of simplistic one-liner with a similar "tone".

But, who cares! These generate some of the most interesting posts---getting many of us riled up, LOL.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:27 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
I wouldn’t care one way or the other ... as long as it was working!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates