Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 02:49 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
It's clear that as long as America remains a gun culture more must be done to protect our children while they are in school. Lots of Ideas float around but there is one that is plain to see but is ignored. Ready?? Here goes...........

Create a new modern day Citizens Militia to fill the job of armed school guard against all threats.

Militia members can be volunteers who have been trained in the military so serve. There is a huge pool of discharged or retired ex-military members who would serve in a heart beat by simply being assigned to this task.

The details of this type of service could be worked out on a state by state basis with limited or no federal involvement. (less red tape)
But schools are GUN FREE ZONES. Get rid of that and allow properly trained teachers, janitors, coaches etc to carry and watch school shootings go away.

This will never happen though because MANY in the anti gun crowd would be forced to admit that GUNS are not the problem but CRAZY people.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:47 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Exactly how would you like me to label those who are non-conservative? My assertion is accurate when I say there are those whom disrespect the non-military/non-police as incapable and untrustworthy of defending schools. These "people" are freakishly worshippers of government. I'm more than willing to discuss the issues with you, but I will not waste my time further hashing thru labels.
WHY do you have to label people? This is about the issue, not your politics. I am conservative, I do not have to label people that disagree with me....but I am actually interested in resolving the issue, not assuage my fragile ego. Gun views do not neatly follow party or political lines. That is a huge problem with your need to label. It shows you are not interested in the problem and resolution but your personal politics.
Quote:
IMO, states and school districts should deside their own policies.
As a veteran no state or local government has a Right to assign me to protect schools. As a matter of fact upon completion of my service it would even take an act of Congress to have me come back and serve in the military as that was part of the agreement.
LOL that you think your mayor or governor could assign me to duty.
[/quote]
[/quote] You conveniently skipped the "Have you served?" question in your rush to sign others up....
Quote:
They should be trained for a few scenarios that might occur and not be trained to be cops or soldiers.
Well they are going to need some kind of police training AT THE VERY LEAST. You may think watching Hillstreet Blues that it is all eating donuts and sleeping with your partners and their wives but police receive a lot of training BY NECESSITY.
Quote:
We are humans, yes, anyone is capable of mistakes or bad judgements. There is no perfect training or person for the job.
This actually does not even address the issue.
Quote:
Military are trained to encounter threats in different scenarios. I'm sure they would be great applicants for this job with school scenario training.
So we come back to the "Have you served?" question. I was not taught to be a police officer. A good amount of time was spent teaching me how to properly deal with prisoners of war. It is not the same as what would be required here. The other thing I was taught was how to kill mother****ers, and the way I was taught was quite different than how the police are taught. I can guarantee you that you would not want a little army of me's meeting a threat like this as there would probably be more children dead than if we were never there.....cause that is what my training was. The US Infantry is not a tiny scalpel of justice, it is a broad sword of destruction and unhappiness.
Quote:
As with police, their actions will be judged and defended if reasonable.
You signing people up for this from you Laz-E-Boy is so convenient for you.
Quote:
There is no perfect answer to dealing with chaos. Declaring gun free zones and no defense is not a reasonable way to defend schools.
I agree with this.
Quote:
Those who demand new gun regulations are not addressing the problem.
I neither agree or disagree with this. It depends on the legislation and what other solutions are brought to the table. Frankly I do not think there is a solution at this time.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
But schools are GUN FREE ZONES. Get rid of that and allow properly trained teachers, janitors, coaches etc to carry and watch school shootings go away.

This will never happen though because MANY in the anti gun crowd would be forced to admit that GUNS are not the problem but CRAZY people.
This kind of reminds me of prisons and company regulations against delivery people carrying guns. Why would I need to sneak a gun into prison when they bring them to me? If I am a criminal and want a gun it would be nice to know that I could order one delivered in 30 minutes or less and get a free pizza with it.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:40 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not talking about caliber, I was talking semi-auto pistol vs semi-auto rifle, under stress it's far easier to aim a rifle than a pistol because there is only one anchor point for the pistol, your hand(s) which will likely be shaking in a shooting situation.
There's truth to that and it's one of the reasons why I purchased an AR over a pistol for defense. Again though, I'd be surprised if the ranges we're talking about are anymore than 10 yards in most cases. These killers are getting in close to maximize casualties.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:54 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
So, cops and military practice on humans? Mental preparation helps when survival is necessary. By your mindset, it is best you duck under a table and pray.
Possibly.
https://www.alicetraining.com/

Old 02-25-2018, 07:59 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Employ 1 soldier, just 1 soldier from Army in every school. It doesn't matter if its AK or AR, M16 will take care of the rest. We ll go from reacting to an active shooter to prevention of an active shooter.

Just start a pilot with 1 school. Protecting the country and protecting the country s future are equally sacred.
Guard duty as an eight hour one person shift does not work. Guard duty for two guards per day leaves the school vulnerable to attack on days off and illness events.
"Personnel matters are complicated"

Old 02-25-2018, 08:00 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
WHY do you have to label people? This is about the issue, not your politics. I am conservative, I do not have to label people that disagree with me....but I am actually interested in resolving the issue, not assuage my fragile ego. Gun views do not neatly follow party or political lines. That is a huge problem with your need to label. It shows you are not interested in the problem and resolution but your personal politics.

As a veteran no state or local government has a Right to assign me to protect schools. As a matter of fact upon completion of my service it would even take an act of Congress to have me come back and serve in the military as that was part of the agreement.
LOL that you think your mayor or governor could assign me to duty.

You conveniently skipped the "Have you served?" question in your rush to sign others up.... Well they are going to need some kind of police training AT THE VERY LEAST. You may think watching Hillstreet Blues that it is all eating donuts and sleeping with your partners and their wives but police receive a lot of training BY NECESSITY. This actually does not even address the issue. So we come back to the "Have you served?" question. I was not taught to be a police officer. A good amount of time was spent teaching me how to properly deal with prisoners of war. It is not the same as what would be required here. The other thing I was taught was how to kill mother****ers, and the way I was taught was quite different than how the police are taught. I can guarantee you that you would not want a little army of me's meeting a threat like this as there would probably be more children dead than if we were never there.....cause that is what my training was. The US Infantry is not a tiny scalpel of justice, it is a broad sword of destruction and unhappiness. You signing people up for this from you Laz-E-Boy is so convenient for you. I agree with this.
I neither agree or disagree with this. It depends on the legislation and what other solutions are brought to the table. Frankly I do not think there is a solution at this time.

I never suggested that anyone, teacher or vet, be forced to serve.

Whether one has served or not is irrelevant to this discussion. Again, I never signed anyone up. I have only advocated for allowing teachers who want to be armed, do so with training.

Nonsense, I’ve supported the suggestion of training vets and retired police as guards, but my primary suggestion has been to allow teachers voluntarily be armed and trained to guard their classrooms. I have never suggested anyone pursue the shooter.

Again, I never signed anyone up for anything. Every gun holder in the school, teacher or guard, would be volunteers and trained for their scenarios. My position is primarily to end schools as gun free zones and allow willing teachers be armed and trained for “defense”.

Yes, there is no perfect solution for stopping criminals/shooters with guns. We can stay with the same gun free nonsense and accept consequences of these rare events or we can do the American thing and allow voluntary trained adults be armed to counter. This ain’t rocket science.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I never suggested that anyone, teacher or vet, be forced to serve.
The word assign has a definition.
Quote:
Whether one has served or not is irrelevant to this discussion. Again, I never signed anyone up. I have only advocated for allowing teachers who want to be armed, do so with training.
I think it does because you are making some major assumptions that are not true and stating them as fact.
Quote:
Nonsense, I’ve supported the suggestion of training vets and retired police as guards, but my primary suggestion has been to allow teachers voluntarily be armed and trained to guard their classrooms. I have never suggested anyone pursue the shooter.
I feel bringing more guns just increases the danger.
Quote:
Again, I never signed anyone up for anything. Every gun holder in the school, teacher or guard, would be volunteers and trained for their scenarios. My position is primarily to end schools as gun free zones and allow willing teachers be armed and trained for “defense”.
You see this as a good idea. I just see it as an easy way for people in emotional distress to get guns while in school.

https://nypost.com/2017/08/23/teen-beats-up-his-teacher-in-front-of-the-class/
High School Student Beats Up A Substitute Teacher After Getting Pushed To The Ground! | Video
Video shows a middle school student attacks his teacher in class | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Yes, there is no perfect solution for stopping criminals/shooters with guns. We can stay with the same gun free nonsense and accept consequences of these rare events or we can do the American thing and allow voluntary trained adults be armed to counter. This ain’t rocket science.
Yeah, lets just put more guns around our kids. That sounds great. Statistically a person is MUCH more likely to harm themselves or a loved one with their gun than to protect themselves.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:34 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
The word assign has a definition.

I think it does because you are making some major assumptions that are not true and stating them as fact.

I feel bringing more guns just increases the danger.
You see this as a good idea. I just see it as an easy way for people in emotional distress to get guns while in school.

https://nypost.com/2017/08/23/teen-beats-up-his-teacher-in-front-of-the-class/
High School Student Beats Up A Substitute Teacher After Getting Pushed To The Ground! | Video
Video shows a middle school student attacks his teacher in class | Daily Mail Online Yeah, lets just put more guns around our kids. That sounds great. Statistically a person is MUCH more likely to harm themselves or a loved one with their gun than to protect themselves.
Your concern is valid. While I dissagree that having guns in the schools is more dangerous than not, I agree that the possibility of a student trying to get these guns can exist. This may be addressed by thumb recognition boxes.

There is no perfect answer.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:37 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Guard duty as an eight hour one person shift does not work. Guard duty for two guards per day leaves the school vulnerable to attack on days off and illness events.
"Personnel matters are complicated"
yep, and it's generally accepted that in order to achieve any level of security with armed guards in schools you would need 1 guard per 1000 students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates