Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:33 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Well, I use my smartphone for:
<trim great list>
Star Map.
And if the shuttle had a couple of them they wouldn't have needed most of the other computers on board.
A few quotes from https://history.nasa.gov/computers/Ch4-3.html

Average speed for the machine is 480,000 instructions per second Your Samsung Galaxy S2 is capable of 85 megaflops.
Originally, 40K of core were in the CPU and 24K in the IOP.
by the first flight, the Shuttle computer memories were 104K words or 106,496 full words of 32 bits.
The CRTs hold 26 lines of 51 characters on a 5- by 7-inch screen.

So your phone has more power and memory that the entire shuttle fleet of six spacecraft.

Last edited by Crashj007; 03-09-2018 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: specific detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 03:39 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've noticed that I can't even relate to someone who doesn't use a computer or a phone. I don't know what to say to them. Yet many people (older than I am!) never got into computers and they are fine. They have full lives doing more than I do--things like art and reading actual books. They're out doing things while I'm sitting here looking at facebook or returning texts....
Twenty years working in a computer center, the last seven or so when computing was reaching the general public (and we were being shown the prototypes for today's digital must-haves), and I would be pressing my throat hard against a straight razor if I had end up like the above.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:42 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I smoked for 10 years and decided one day I didn't want to do it anymore. Whats your point? That smart phones are addicting? They are addicting and I find myself looking at that thing at times just because I have it, but in all honesty, there is nothing on a smartphone I need that a basic phone wouldn't provide me. They are more of a real life distraction than anything. Just my 2 cents.
Sheesh, maybe you should be asking what the F is wrong with your real life then if you need this distraction from it.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:06 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
I use my camera phone to photograph occasional newspaper and magazine articles at the public library, or bookstore. Including recipes. I use it to photograph posters on store windows or bulletin boards, about upcoming community events and entertainments. Occasionally paintings at art shows. And to photograph I.D. and insurance cards of the other driver when you have a collision.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:33 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Sheesh, maybe you should be asking what the F is wrong with your real life then if you need this distraction from it.
I don't need a distraction from my life but I find when I start looking at the thing for no reason it becomes one. Much like if I go out to eat and I see an entire family on their phones without any communication at all between them...again, those phones are a distraction. When I go on vacation I shut the thing off and leave it in the hotel room and its amazing how much more relaxing the vacation becomes. I become much more engaged with my surroundings, more social, less stressed, etc., and I am not even one of those people that have my nose buried in my phone all the time.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:46 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I don't need a distraction from my life but I find when I start looking at the thing for no reason it becomes one. Much like if I go out to eat and I see an entire family on their phones without any communication at all between them...again, those phones are a distraction. When I go on vacation I shut the thing off and leave it in the hotel room and its amazing how much more relaxing the vacation becomes. I become much more engaged with my surroundings, more social, less stressed, etc., and I am not even one of those people that have my nose buried in my phone all the time.
Bingo. It's not the device itself. It's the addictive nature of people who are obsessed with it. Weird, but I can manage to go through an entire dinner without once consulting my phone. I can sit through a concert, church service, or movie without whipping it out. I spend my entire Saturday out on a friend's boat without obsessing over my Facebook feed or text messages. That being said, I did consult it to see if it were about to rain.

In that sense, you might as well talk about television. There are people who watched (And, I guess, still do) eight hours of television a day. There are people who, when company comes over, keep the idiot box on. There are (were) families who ate dinner in the den while staring glassy-eyed at whatever was one. There are people who order(ed) their entire lives around what was broadcasting and when.

Television in itself was entirely neutral. It was either be a wonderful thing, creating a better world or destroying our sense of community. In that sense, that depended on both its user and its critic.

See how that works? So the criticism of smartphones per se has the same feel as the generation before complaining about the one-eyed monster. But in the end, it is only a tool, albeit a pretty damned good one.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:37 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
My only concern with cell phones in general is that it holds the "keys to the kingdom." If someone has your phone and can defeat whatever security measures the user has, they have access to nearly anything and the ability to change your password to various other services.

I'm fine with the reliance on them. And while the risk of loss can be mitigated, it is still there and it could be severe.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:00 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Originally Posted by in_newengland
I've noticed that I can't even relate to someone who doesn't use a computer or a phone. I don't know what to say to them. Yet many people (older than I am!) never got into computers and they are fine. They have full lives doing more than I do--things like art and reading actual books. They're out doing things while I'm sitting here looking at facebook or returning texts....

------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Twenty years working in a computer center, the last seven or so when computing was reaching the general public (and we were being shown the prototypes for today's digital must-haves), and I would be pressing my throat hard against a straight razor if I had end up like the above.
LOL, it was mostly tongue in cheek. I don't use a smart phone that much unless I'm on the road. I do like my laptop though. I take an art class and in the summer I love to garden and be outside.

I had someone in mind when referring to a person who doesn't use a computer. She is driving me mad! We've been trying to help her with her landline (landline is fine with me) but it's too high tech for her. Funny how people like her always want me to look up something on the internet (which they think is such a waste of time.)

Old 03-12-2018, 07:36 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
I am having to get a new, more modern smart phone to expand my home business. I don't WANT to, really I don't. I am not a person who is tethered to their phone, nor do I EVER want to be. I am a technology "hold out" I guess you would say. But, it has become a necessity, and I must adjust because that's where the money, and technology it.

That being said, people need to get a perspective on their use of their phones. I recently left a hairstylist I have used for years because the last few times I went to her, I have not gotten a good haircut because as was cutting my hair, she was stopping every few minutes to "look" at her smart phone, and I'm not having that. Cut the ******* thing off when you are being paid to cut a clients hair, or whatever service you are providing, or risk losing business.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:38 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
*is

I'll be glad when I can retire to the "woods" and shut the blessed thing off for good. Think I will just chuck whatever phone I have at that time over the nearest cliff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates