Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Actions speak louder than words, vs words speak louder than actions
Do actions speak louder than words 13 61.90%
Does words speak louder than actions 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 07:37 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,064,719 times

Advertisements

The reason why I say this is because of now we live in a world media, especially with social media. I remember a time in this country that people would ignore whatever comment one individual had made, or if that individual said something out of light. However if that person has done some good, or made a mark on his or her community, family and society. Such comments that individual made carries no weight, or never did because of the actions one has done. Also people are or were easily forgiven if someone said something out of line. If someone said something out of line, that person made up for their statements with actions.

In today's America things seem to be a bit different. With the advent of all day cable TV, Social Media, and online news. It seems that people are more fixated on what people say instead of what people have done or did, or plan to do. Today folks go through microgressions by listening out for what people say which may be deemed negative against an individual or the collective. People are easily triggered due to folks who are enabled to say whatever is on his or her mind. Or sometimes persons can be easily triggered by someone who said something that they did not mean, or if someone said something back to someone else in return because he or she was provoked.

Example, Black American man tells an African immigrant go back to your Sh!thole country, we don't need your kind here, African immigrant calls black man the N word. However society is upset at the immigrant for using the N word, and want to demonize him for it, even though he did not start the argument but he was just provoked. And those that be like SJW and pro black community want to destroy his livelihood for such comment and want to dox him. In this society we have people that do a lot of good actions for their jobs, communities and families, but because of comments, our wording, folks have to step down from positions, or are out right fired, have to leave communities, or even breakup with families and friends. Also in today's society it comes to my attention that persons can not handle truth regardless if its the individual, collective, white black, or left and right. And the truth can hurt.

It just seems to me that in many camps, from SJWs, Pro blacks, to even the right. Words speaks louder than action. I grew up with actions speak louder than words and that is the corner stone of my persona. I can do so much good, but due to what I say in the past, I can easily be demonized for it. An example of this is Cenk Uygur of the TYT who made comments in his early 30s, but he had to resigning from his Justice Democrat party position for things he said that might have been sexist and racist.

What do you all think about this topic or subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 12:50 PM

587 posts, read 225,694 times
Now WORDS DEF SPEAK LOUDER!!!!

Someone can just SAY SOMETHING someone deosnt like and they may get dealt with.... Thats why I think the internet is the best place if 1 is gonna speak out as no one knows who "Johnny B" is or whatever the handle is..... (Its the safest way also)

Old 02-03-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy221 View Post

Someone can just SAY SOMETHING someone deosnt like and they may get dealt with.... Thats why I think the internet is the best place if 1 is gonna speak out as no one knows who "Johnny B" is or whatever the handle is..... (Its the safest way also)
Yeah this is true. For plenty of liberals those on the right and these quasi groups like sjw pro blacks and such. Words do matter. Such folks I noticed these days don't care about a person's positive actions and only care about narrative.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:03 PM

24,521 posts, read 17,271,978 times
This is an interesting topic given todays political clime.

I think we have President Trump because of the Actions that spoke louder than words of the prior administration and millions of voters were not happy with these actual actions and words they deemed as lies.

Today and for the last year we have had a war of words that are speaking louder to many listeners that are accusing Trump of actions that he never took.

With mas media it is possible for the speed of words, true or not, to do great harm.

I think actions speaks louder than words but those words can be damning.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:23 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,321,642 times
Quote:

I don't know if it is the "best place" but it certainly is the safest place in light of the fact that it is always (minus the mods of course who will dish out appropriate 'action') anonymous.

Social media is a 'trapping' of our times and our technology, maybe because our 'voices' are no longer heard or valued.

Texts, twitters, Facebook, snapshot, online forums (this is the best one); anywhere one wants to go in this world without even leaving their home, car, school, wherever. So convenient but I also believe it has the potential to further contribute to a sense of 'not belonging' and isolation.

Just my 2 cents; meh, what do I know anyway?

Old 02-03-2018, 03:33 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,849,935 times
In our PC society, it seems like many are more concerned with how things sound or appear than what is right or true. When folks don't like the sound of something, they simply come-up with a new euphemism, rather than change anything: (ie; liberal/progressive, welfare/entitlement, intolerance/free speech, and hundreds of others).

Old 02-03-2018, 06:53 PM

Thank you all for your reponses. Topic like this should be discussed in college campuses. Also if someone says something wrong, folks should not be demonized. Sometimes people say things out of anger or emotion and not really hate. People should be given the chance to apologize. Sadly those on the left and the right believe in what you say is what you truly and really mean.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:55 PM

204 posts, read 181,960 times
In a PC society words are used like the sword

People Are offended for a word
People will shout you down if they don't like your message
Refuse to listen, I CAN'T HEAR YOU
Free speech is now hate speech.

If snowflakes could they would STAMP OUT the first amendment

I may not like what you have to say but will defend your right to say it

Old 02-03-2018, 09:07 PM

587 posts, read 225,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton
In our PC society, it seems like many are more concerned with how things sound or appear than what is right or true.
Well I guess what im saying is there is NO FREE SPEECH anymore..... Someone can get in big trouble FOR JUST JOKING ABOUT SOMETHING/SAYING SOMETHING OUT OF SPITE when it didnt used to be so.......

Old 02-04-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Well I guess what im saying is there is NO FREE SPEECH anymore..... Someone can get in big trouble FOR JUST JOKING ABOUT SOMETHING/SAYING SOMETHING OUT OF SPITE when it didnt used to be so.......
Free speech is pretty much on the decline. Some folks are saying hate speech is not free speech. Someone saying something hate full can be equal to someone yelling fire in a theater. Sadly you cant go to jail for hate speech, but those that be want to change that. The most that hate speech can do is get someone fired from his or her job or get them expelled from college. But I'm sure of the SJW left and the to a certain degree the conservative right had their way. They would love hate speech folks to go straight to prison and lock the key. If people say something hateful debate them, and let them apologize. Don't ruin their livelihoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates