Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 10:54 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,160,230 times

Advertisements

There’s a obvious casaul effect between soft on crime policies in courts and prisons and recidivism rate. Large Christian organizations with massive funding and resources that devote all their time effort resources etc to the perpetrators and nothing at all in place in their mission to in any way reach out to or help the victims the perpetrators leave behind

I guess free medical and mental healthcare, cable tv, yoga and meditation classes, access to any type of accommodation for any self proclaimed faith based need, art therapy, free educational courses and job training, etc is not enough coddling so some organizations feel it’s a good use of their time to solicit for money to use solely for advocating for and “helping” inmates more if that’s possible than they already are.

IMO they are really making a soft place to land for anyone who commits a crime and plays a part in the recidivism rate as the inmates figure it’s not all that bad in there and so if they feel the need or want to commit a future crime , oh well, it isn’t all that bad in there anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 02:24 AM

23,247 posts, read 29,098,666 times
The amenities in Prison today are there to make it easier on the prison guards. Take away a number of those amenities and it would be hell for the guards. Think of yourself working in one of these prisons and they took their TV's away! At the end of the week, you'd be looking for another job! All that constant banging on the walls, and prison bars, in protest, would get to you very quickly!

And let's not overlook a number of prisoners today who are innocent, railroaded into these places with plea bargains, inexperienced attorney's.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:25 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,489,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
There’s a obvious casaul effect between soft on crime policies in courts and prisons and recidivism rate. Large Christian organizations with massive funding and resources that devote all their time effort resources etc to the perpetrators and nothing at all in place in their mission to in any way reach out to or help the victims the perpetrators leave behind

I guess free medical and mental healthcare, cable tv, yoga and meditation classes, access to any type of accommodation for any self proclaimed faith based need, art therapy, free educational courses and job training, etc is not enough coddling so some organizations feel it’s a good use of their time to solicit for money to use solely for advocating for and “helping” inmates more if that’s possible than they already are.

IMO they are really making a soft place to land for anyone who commits a crime and plays a part in the recidivism rate as the inmates figure it’s not all that bad in there and so if they feel the need or want to commit a future crime , oh well, it isn’t all that bad in there anyway
I guess it's so obvious that you don't even have to demonstrate it. Right?

Let me give you an example of a 'soft on crime' organization: the state of Minnesota. I live here. We have no capital punishment (abolished in 1911) and we have the second-lowest incarceration rate in the United States (after Maine)*. Pretty 'soft on crime', no?

And yet, as FBI data shows, our violent crime rate is well below the national average.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-2

I suspect that digging deeper would show incarceration environments here that are far 'softer' than the usual suspects - you know, places like Louisiana and Texas and Florida. Or, places with high incarceration rates that also execute more people than most states. In fact, the 'tough on crime' states tend to be Southern states. The vast majority of executions take place there. They tend to focus on harsh incarceration rather than rehabilitation, treatment, education, etc.

By your assertion, these states should have really low crime rates.

But they don't. The region of the United States with the highest violent crime rate is the South, and it isn't even close.

You've got your dogma, and it insists that being 'tough on crime' would lower crime rates. But a comparative glance at the real world and a comparison between 'tough on crime' and 'soft on crime' places shows that your claims just don't jibe with reality.

*: Incarceration is expensive. We're not only safer, we spend fewer taxpayer dollars getting this way. You should try it. Or maybe you're happier throwing money at failed 'solutions' because the goal really isn't making your place safer, but just feeling good about how tough you are?

Old 03-30-2018, 06:56 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,640,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The amenities in Prison today are there to make it easier on the prison guards. Take away a number of those amenities and it would be hell for the guards. Think of yourself working in one of these prisons and they took their TV's away! At the end of the week, you'd be looking for another job! All that constant banging on the walls, and prison bars, in protest, would get to you very quickly!

And let's not overlook a number of prisoners today who are innocent, railroaded into these places with plea bargains, inexperienced attorney's.
Well, from what I heard, most jails do not allow inmates to smoke or buy cigarettes anymore...I cannot imagine the hell it must be in dealing with a bunch of people who are suddenly required to quit smoking!!

Although I think they still allow smoking at federal prisons, its just the state and county jails that banned it, even then, dealing with newly arrested smokers..sheesh!

Old 03-30-2018, 03:36 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,997,313 times
Quote:

I'm not getting the connection of christian groups doing things for people that are already incarcerated with being soft on crime. They are making prisons too nice? Lol

Old 04-01-2018, 12:04 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,703,741 times
Quote:
There’s a obvious casaul effect between soft on crime policies in courts and prisons and recidivism rate...
Not sure I can agree with your initial premise.

Crime rates (and recidivism rates) go up and down for lots and lots of reasons. Population density, gender, labeling, addiction, race, education, incapacitation, and occupation all have been the subjects of 'propensity' studies. I'm not sure how one could quantify 'soft-on-crime' policies for the purposes of such a study.

There is, however, an entire industry of criminologists trying to figure out why people offend and what society's response to offending should be.

One of the things they have figured out is that re-entry into society is very difficult for inmates who have no skill set to support themselves with after prison, which in turn can lead to recidivism. So several organizations work to provide inmates with those sorts of skill sets. Penology and rehabilitation rates aren't my particular niche, but my general understanding is that several such programs have been very successful over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates