Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 07:27 PM

42,080 posts, read 75,612,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Is this comedy? Is this what we now consider comedy or have they gone to far?
Satire as political commentary seems to be lost on you.

I suggest you watch the skit again and look harder for where the skit makes fun of the teens and teachers who were killed. And keep looking, because you won't find it.

Instead, you'll find that the skit is skewering Trump, Pence, the gun lobby, and the absurdity that is the current administration. All of which is fair game.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 03-04-2018 at 07:35 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 07:34 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,681,867 times
SNL should stick to lip syncing.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:35 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,093,012 times
OP, nope. If it is legal do as you like. You should see what I'd give you if I was I charge.

Don't like it, change the channel.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:46 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 21 days ago)

36,116 posts, read 18,388,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
People watch Saturday night live?
Um, yes. People do. Alec Baldwin's career has completely been resurrected with his spot on portrayal of Trump. I know Trump recently said "Alex" Baldwin's career is ruined, but in fact, he's completely resurfaced after his wildly popular Trump mimicry.

I admit I'm a TV and movie snob, and I think smart people who understand nuanced comedy and satire watch SNL, and understand the humor, although there were some down years after the original Not Ready For PrimeTime Players faded out.

I'm sorry, anyone who doesn't think Cathy Anne in this skit is funny, doesn't understand humor. This is funny, I don't care who you are. ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsa0ar443SI

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-04-2018 at 08:31 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 08:39 PM

9,390 posts, read 6,513,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Is this comedy? Is this what we now consider comedy or have they gone to far?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
People watch Saturday night live?
SNL --> NBC --> NBC/Universal is 100% owned by Comcast.

Don't just avoid watching the TV program, cancel any and all Comcast services entirely. Depriving Comcast of revenue is the only effective way to send a message that SNL has become tasteless and inappropriate. Make Comcast's shareholders feel some pain.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:43 PM

9,390 posts, read 6,513,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I thought the same thing. It was in very poor taste.

Poor taste is what the US entertainment industry has devolved into with Alec Baldwin and Harvey Weinstein leading the charge.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:56 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,683,309 times
I didn't watch the skit but I know that these shootings are occurring more frequently. With that said, people become desensitized to it. The more desensitize people are to these events, the more "jokes" that they'll crack about it. As I got older, I've seen more and more "jokes" about racism, rape, pedophilia, etc...

Old 03-05-2018, 02:08 AM

652 posts, read 343,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
No.... I think if Vlad told him to run in he would probably do it.

After all he has overlooked the Russian involvement in manipulating the election, disregarded the advice of all the U.S. intelligence agencies & led the wild accusations against the FBI, the premier domestic counter intelligence agency including celebrating his firing of its director with Russians & Russian media.

I just want to see that video they have on him when it finally gets leaked, must be a doozy!
You really are quite ignorant, aren’t you?

Old 03-05-2018, 07:01 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,540,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Imagine the next shooter being nudged by all this attention, thinking he may even make a skit on SNL. I wish these media types would stop giving so much attention.
The shottter got no atttention. Did you hear them say his name?

Oh there will be a next shooter and one after that and one after that.... And more idiots will get up and say we send our hope and prayers....

BUT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SNL.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:30 AM

24,804 posts, read 17,549,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I didn't watch the skit but I know that these shootings are occurring more frequently. With that said, people become desensitized to it. The more desensitize people are to these events, the more "jokes" that they'll crack about it. As I got older, I've seen more and more "jokes" about racism, rape, pedophilia, etc...

SNL is certainly desensitized to it. The only reason they had that opening sketch where they joked about guns and gun control is because we had another shooting. The shooting that left 17 people dead and has marked the survivors for life spurred the gun control debate and SNL made jokes about it.

I still think it was in extremely poor taste.

They could have just as easily poked fun at Trump over the Olympics where Pence had attended the opening and the favorite daughter was at the closing ceremonies but no.

By joking about gun control they are joking about a tragedy.

If a airplane crashed last week and 250 people lost their lives would they have Alec Baldwin as Trump joking about the FAA or the airline that the plane belonged to?

Connect the dots and the sketch was in really poor taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates