Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 01:45 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,059 times

Advertisements

It's clear that as long as America remains a gun culture more must be done to protect our children while they are in school. Lots of Ideas float around but there is one that is plain to see but is ignored. Ready?? Here goes...........

Create a new modern day Citizens Militia to fill the job of armed school guard against all threats.

Militia members can be volunteers who have been trained in the military so serve. There is a huge pool of discharged or retired ex-military members who would serve in a heart beat by simply being assigned to this task.

The details of this type of service could be worked out on a state by state basis with limited or no federal involvement. (less red tape)

Old 02-24-2018, 02:26 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,403 times
I'm not apposed to this. Yet, what is wrong with trained teachers? There is no guarantee that even the hired/volunteer guards will save the day. If I had a child in school, I would prefer they be in a class where the teacher is armed and trained enough to protect a their classroom.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:43 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
It's clear that as long as America remains a gun culture more must be done to protect our children while they are in school. Lots of Ideas float around but there is one that is plain to see but is ignored. Ready?? Here goes...........

Create a new modern day Citizens Militia to fill the job of armed school guard against all threats.

Militia members can be volunteers who have been trained in the military so serve. There is a huge pool of discharged or retired ex-military members who would serve in a heart beat by simply being assigned to this task.

The details of this type of service could be worked out on a state by state basis with limited or no federal involvement. (less red tape)
We're already spending billions on wages for people that are staffing schools. Why not just use the existing personnel? Is there some reason why all those "front office" staff can't be people that are trained to use firearms instead of just overweight house-fraus that can type and answer a phone?

Or the teachers? Some of whom are surely capable of learning how to use a firearm. What about the janitorial staff?

I mean its crazy we're having THIS conversation when there were multiple armed LEOs assigned to that school and they didn't even ATTEMPT to intervene in this massacre.

Can we start there? Let's have a simultaneous national conversation about this crazy idea that the police can protect or should protect citizens or that it is reasonable for citizens to "outsource" their personal safety to the 911 dispatch system.

I'll start: the Supreme Court has ruled that the police have no duty to protect any person. They CAN, but they have no duty to do that. That leaves all of us responsible for making ALTERNATIVE ARRANGEMENTS.

The gun banners need to take that into consideration before they render their fellow citizens even more helpless than they already are.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:41 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
The majority of teachers don't want to carry guns! Front office staff probably makes little more than minimum wage, many of them young moms themselves who just wanted a job that would give them the same days off when their kids are out of school.

How are these people going to be so well-trained, so perfectly composed in a crisis, and able to take down a madman with an AR15 using just a handgun? I think that risking their lives playing cop is way outside of their job description. If you forced it to be part of their job, I would bet that most of them would quit.

And, in the case of a shooter and the school goes into lockdown, don't we need the teachers locked inside their classrooms keeping their students hidden, out of the line of fire, and trying to keep them calm?

Have you even asked a teacher about this idea? I have.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:04 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
There is a huge pool of discharged or retired ex-military members who would serve in a heart beat by simply being assigned to this task.
Assigned by who?
Have you served?
What kind of training will they get for dealing with children?
There are already what seems like an unlimited number of videos and accusations of police and teachers accused of misconduct, do you think that adding people not trained to deal with children, criminals or the rights of people would be a good idea?
What makes you think that military personnel are suited for this kind of duty?
Who pays their legal bills?

Old 02-24-2018, 04:53 PM

What bothers me about this thread and the general mindset of many liberals is that they dismiss citizens as inadequate to defend a classroom. This is complete nonsense. You do not have to be military or police to be highly skilled with guns and the ability to defend others with them. We are not expecting teachers to be cops or fight wars, just defend a classroom for Petes sake.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:00 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
What bothers me about this thread and the general mindset of many liberals is that they dismiss citizens as inadequate to defend a classroom. This is complete nonsense. You do not have to be military or police to be highly skilled with guns and the ability to defend others with them. We are not expecting teachers to be cops or fight wars, just defend a classroom for Petes sake.
What bothers me is your need to label some with what you feel is a derogatory name if they disagree with you. This is the real problem, not guns.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Who's paying these people? If we have to militarize every school in America, wouldn't home school be a better option for parents?

Old 02-24-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
What bothers me is your need to label some with what you feel is a derogatory name if they disagree with you. This is the real problem, not guns.
So, "liberal" is a derogatory name? Perhaps your skin is way to thin.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:12 PM

220 posts, read 145,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The majority of teachers don't want to carry guns! Front office staff probably makes little more than minimum wage, many of them young moms themselves who just wanted a job that would give them the same days off when their kids are out of school.

How are these people going to be so well-trained, so perfectly composed in a crisis, and able to take down a madman with an AR15 using just a handgun? I think that risking their lives playing cop is way outside of their job description. If you forced it to be part of their job, I would bet that most of them would quit.

And, in the case of a shooter and the school goes into lockdown, don't we need the teachers locked inside their classrooms keeping their students hidden, out of the line of fire, and trying to keep them calm?

Have you even asked a teacher about this idea? I have.
And your solution is?

BTW, I'm yet to hear of anyone suggesting forcing anyone to carry a gun. Lockdown? These things are either over or well into carnage before anyone has time to lock anything down. No offense, but think it over. When seconds count, help is only minutes away. And in this case, they just took a comfortable position and watched the show.

We owe it to our children to present workable alternatives to the status quo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates