Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 07:24 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,058,879 times

Advertisements

One thing always leads to another but this is nuts and unenforceable.

As an avid knife collector , I've carried a pocket knife (or a belt knife) of some type all my life, this idea is just flat not going to work. That is not unless it's further erosion of all citizens ability to care and defend themselves in a normal fashion.

Next thing is surrendering your kitchen knives............

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2018/0...ilure-gun-ban/

There's stupid...............then there is this!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 07:39 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,372,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post

As an avid knife collector , I've carried a pocket knife (or a belt knife) of some type all my life, this idea is just flat not going to work. That is not unless it's further erosion of all citizens ability to care and defend themselves in a normal fashion.

Not sure what point you are trying to make.

UK has very low gun homicide rates.

We seem to be making a big deal about London getting above NYC. That ignores the fact that NYC has the lowest homicide rates of any major US city.

Banning of certain knifes is a long established US tradition. When I was a teenager carrying a switch blade or anything with more than a 3.5 inch blade concealed was an infraction. That was 60 years ago. So nothing recent.

So what point are you making?

Old 04-10-2018, 07:48 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,058,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

We seem to be making a big deal about London getting above NYC. That ignores the fact that NYC has the lowest homicide rates of any major US city.

Banning of certain knifes is a long established US tradition. When I was a teenager carrying a switch blade or anything with more than a 3.5 inch blade concealed was an infraction. That was 60 years ago. So nothing recent.

Did you read the link??

"London’s Sadiq Khan, the first Muslim to assume a mayor’s role for a major Western city, thinks he’s found the cause of the uptick in stabbings his community’s seen in recent times — wayward knives. And as such, he’s banned the carrying of knives in the city. In the city where migration counts have escalated in recent times, by the way."

Another knee jerk reaction to a perceived problem by a politican making points to stay in office.

I'd love to see police take a Sikh's knife away from him since it's a part of their religion.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:50 PM

61,834 posts, read 87,292,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

∆∆∆ Noticed that this kind of threads are usually created by Americans? There is no point, just fundamental misunderstanding laws outside the USA.
What is allowed in his state (Illinois), or country, is not allowed overseas, and still homicide rates are very low.
The point many Americans just don't get is that other countries are not guns/weapons crazy, nor want ever to be.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:04 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,372,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
∆∆∆ Noticed that this kind of threads are usually created by Americans? There is no point, just fundamental misunderstanding laws outside the USA.
What is allowed in his state (Illinois), or country, is not allowed overseas, and still homicide rates are very low.
The point many Americans just don't get is that other countries are not guns/weapons crazy, nor want ever to be.
True but immaterial.

Many US states have had reasonably draconian laws against carrying knifes. It was the weapon of the young and the underclass. When I was a bad teenager...which I was...the standard weapon was some form of a quick deploy knife. Real gangsters had guns but they were too expensive and difficult for teenage gangsters.

I never carried a knife...but I wore a belt that could make a formidable weapon. .

Old 04-12-2018, 09:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,627,534 times
Quote:
America also went to war with England at one time, in order to be something different, to form a different kind of nation.

What was that for, if we ultimately end up just like them?

Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,571,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
America also went to war with England at one time, in order to be something different, to form a different kind of nation.

What was that for, if we ultimately end up just like them?
because the war was about who was in charge of themselves, not whether they were alike. In fact, the two countries were incredibly alike.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:52 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,571,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post

Mass shootings-wise, gun control in the UK has been by and large very successful. You can write an idiotic headline of "despite the failure of the gun ban" but when every honest person knows its been a success in the UK as compared to the mass-shooting rates in, for example the US, that just makes you come across as discredited and unreliable.

"Retired in Illinois" = more like "paid Russian troll in Vladivostok". Or perhaps just deliberately ignorant.

Its a good idea to slap your head like in your emojis - you might slap some sense into it.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:58 AM

34,249 posts, read 18,612,449 times
Quote:
Maybe because the vast majority of posters here are AMERICAN? The vast majority of law abiding citizens that own guns are not GUN CRAZY. That tells me you just irrationally hate guns, and their owners out of pure ignorance, and emotional zeal. People aren't gun crazy, they just want a means to defend themselves from harm, and death from criminals.

There are many countries with very restrictive gun laws, and bans that have high, or higher homicide rates than the U.S. You are just reinforcing the stereotype that some women are just overly emotional, and irrational.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:29 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,898,471 times
I think Brits (or any other law-abiding hard-working foreigner) who value gun ownership should have an easy path to citizenship. I think Americans who crave London low gun homicide rates should consider emigrating to London (or could go to any liberal place like NYC or Los Angeles). That way, when everyone lives along with same-minded people, there will be harmony.

But please, liberal comrades, don't rush to gun stores to buy guns when there's another riot and your cozy little world is shattered. Us, the gun crazies, accept the fact that only we are responsible for the well-being of ourselves and our dependents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates