Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 10:56 PM

635 posts, read 784,205 times

Advertisements

For me its a freedom issue. People should be free to make a choice. Anyone think that the word hasn't gotten out about heroin being bad for you? Drinking and drunk driving. If people are functional it isn't so bad. When people are resorting to crime?Then it changes. For me, pot should be legal.It is like having a beer. I used to travel a lot and meth is what I call "a nation destroyer" That stuff is frying peoples brains everywhere. Maybe some compassion over jail time is what is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 12:39 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
To be honest, I’ve never understood the war on drugs. We don’t throw people in jail for selling or smoking cigarettes even though the associated health costs are staggering. We don’t throw people in jail for obesity even though heart disease is the number one killer. Why do we continue pumping much needed billions into a lost cause? Is it because it’s “the right thing to do?”. I just don’t get it.

Habitual drug users should be locked away so they can get clean and so they will not ruin their families and communities by stealing them blind to support their habit. Drug users do not belong in society because they are not contributors but takers.
We would but our prisons are already overcrowded.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Don't have enough $$$$$ to pay him or her off.
Its not about money...

Dont you think the pharma companies enjoyed the times when all the doctors were giving out opioid scripts left and right? Oxycodone was their number one best seller for a long time, they were raking in the money during these times, but then we are just supposed to believe they were totally fine with Govt coming and regulating these drugs to the point where they are almost impossible to get? YEAH RIGHT!

Govt/ DEA basically stole the profits away from the pharma industry and handed it over the drug cartels, now that all the pill addicts switched to heroin. Thats one reason why I believe DEA is in full collusion with the cartels, everything they do, ultimately benefits the illegal drug market.

In order to maintain a drug war...there must be a steady flow of drugs coming in, consistently. This is more about growing the police state versus anything else. Drug laws have NEVER been about protecting the health and safety of the public, that is a FACT.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:34 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Why the Hell is our government throwing so much money at a problem that is for the most part self induced? Isn't this money better spent on cancer, heart disease and other diseases that plague mankind?

If someone wants to kill him, or herself, that's their problem, not mine.

Thoughts?

I agree; unless somebody held a gun to their head and made them start using I have little sympathy for druggies and this comes from a mother whose son was an addict for 10 years. Like most teenagers he wanted to try it and was sure he wouldn't get addicted because he was stronger than everybody else.

Fortunately he has been clean for almost 7 years although he still doesn't have the same brain function he did before he started using.

The one thing I agree with Trump about is executing drug dealers. Not sure how effective it would be because there's always somebody else willing to do it for the money but it might be a start.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:40 AM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its not about money...

Dont you think the pharma companies enjoyed the times when all the doctors were giving out opioid scripts left and right? Oxycodone was their number one best seller for a long time, they were raking in the money during these times, but then we are just supposed to believe they were totally fine with Govt coming and regulating these drugs to the point where they are almost impossible to get? YEAH RIGHT!

Govt/ DEA basically stole the profits away from the pharma industry and handed it over the drug cartels, now that all the pill addicts switched to heroin. Thats one reason why I believe DEA is in full collusion with the cartels, everything they do, ultimately benefits the illegal drug market.

In order to maintain a drug war...there must be a steady flow of drugs coming in, consistently. This is more about growing the police state versus anything else. Drug laws have NEVER been about protecting the health and safety of the public, that is a FACT.
The "pharma industry" is not not smuggling drugs across the border or cooking it in backyard trailers.

The drug cricis" was here long before modern pain meds were legally produced.

That said, there is a strong movement to stop the over prescribers and dDr shopping "patients"

Old 03-24-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its not about money...

I call BS

Old 03-24-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I agree; unless somebody held a gun to their head and made them start using I have little sympathy for druggies and this comes from a mother whose son was an addict for 10 years. Like most teenagers he wanted to try it and was sure he wouldn't get addicted because he was stronger than everybody else.

Fortunately he has been clean for almost 7 years although he still doesn't have the same brain function he did before he started using.

The one thing I agree with Trump about is executing drug dealers. Not sure how effective it would be because there's always somebody else willing to do it for the money but it might be a start.
Well said. Glad your on is still clean

Old 03-24-2018, 01:01 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I call BS
If you think that lobbyists from a number of very large industries with virtually unlimited funds are not controlling our lawmakers then you either have your head buried in the sand or are an alien from another planet who does not understand human nature.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:16 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
You know how many people are locked up in this country? How many people are employed in that whole process from LEO to Guards to the whole Legal system/ How much money the whole systems generates? Now imagine drugs are legal, taxed, dispensed etc. How much crime is generated by the drug culture? The Fed's don't want to lose that. People who are prone to be addicts will be addicts just like drunks will be drunks. Frankly I think we'd be way better off with the Government being the only dealer in the hood....

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/reports/pie2018.html

Old 03-24-2018, 03:19 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You know how many people are locked up in this country? How many people are employed in that whole process from LEO to Guards to the whole Legal system/ How much money the whole systems generates? Now imagine drugs are legal, taxed, dispensed etc. How much crime is generated by the drug culture? The Fed's don't want to lose that. People who are prone to be addicts will be addicts just like drunks will be drunks. Frankly I think we'd be way better off with the Government being the only dealer in the hood....

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/reports/pie2018.html

Good point, and most LE and prison guards are unionized, and the unions are heavy lobbyists. I recall several years ago in California the prison guard union tried to sneak thru legislation that would have meant many more tossed in the clink. More jobs, dues paying members, and boosted seniority for existing members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates