Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 07:51 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
They are upset because teens are dying.

So they should take on a cause that would actually make a true difference. Teens commit suicide every day. Teens are killed in car crashes every day.

If you average out the number of school shootings with the number of schoolchildren, kids have a 1 in 600 million chance of being shot and killed by a mass shooter while at school.

Which makes a difference to MORE teens?

But they are focused on gun control. Why? Because they are PAWNS in a POLITICAL game.

Complicated stuff, I know. You have to be able to think logically and do math. Can you say math? Are you afraid of math? Afraid of logic? Afraid of true statistics? Afraid of people who can think critically? Afraid to think critically for yourself?

You must be scared all the live long day.
There are about 330 million Americans. You may not be afraid of math, but maybe that's because you haven't been introduced.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:16 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:

So they should take on a cause that would actually make a true difference. Teens commit suicide every day. Teens are killed in car crashes every day.

If you average out the number of school shootings with the number of schoolchildren, kids have a 1 in 600 million chance of being shot and killed by a mass shooter while at school.

But they are focused on gun control. Why? Because they are PAWNS in a POLITICAL game.

Complicated stuff, I know. You have to be able to think logically and do math. Can you say math? Are you afraid of math? Afraid of logic? Afraid of true statistics? Afraid of people who can think critically? Afraid to think critically for yourself?

Ha! So that's it! In your arrogance you somehow believe you have the right to decide for others what cause they should adopt. You don't get to decide for anyone but yourself what makes "a true difference." Tell you what - You go to your church, I'll go to mine and high school students everywhere can decide for themselves where they put their efforts.

The Parkland students didn't ask to play your "POLITICAL" games - they were thrust into it by watching their friends bleed to death and you believe that you have a say in what they should do about it. And yes, their say has already made a big impact. We're beyond the "thoughts and prayers" intransigence; the likes of Nikolas Cruz will have to work harder to get their hands on a weapon.

It's not at all complicated, except, it appears, for you. I'm not scared at all; if I was; I'd probably be locked in my house all day looking over my shoulder to see who was coming to take away my beloved guns and I'd be attacking young people for their rallying cries.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:23 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Parkland shooting survivors turned activists just got the cover of TIME magazine.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/school-sh...110036741.html

I think it is cool that these kids are standing up for something they believe in but they should not be so eager to throw away their constitutional rights. If they choose to not own a gun then that is Ok but they should not dictate to the rest of the country. They should instead work to police their own and setup programs for troubled peers. Time and again we have seen bullied kids either take their own life while other kids that have been tossed aside and left behind due to awkward peer pressure and the inability to fit in which manifests into discipline issues take up a gun "to get back at the world that hates them".

I do think something should be done to curb gun violence and school shootings such as raising the age to 21 to legally purchase a semi automatic rifle but guns like the AR15 should not be outright banned.

What do you think about these new activists getting the cover of TIME magazine and what do you think about their message?
They are not protesting to take away your guns. Just the ARs (which are, BTW, not constitutionally protected....no particular gun is constitutionally protected).

They are not protesting to say they don't want to ever own a gun. Don't know where you got that idea, but it wasn't from them.

Bullied kids are not mass killers, as a rule, in this country. One common denominator is: white, male, likes guns that kill numbers of people quickly, angry or a cause.

If you think mental illness is responsible, then I guess you think Muslim jihadists are mentally ill, and we don't need to take away their weapons...just work to get them some mental health treatment, and don't bully them?

Stop it with the "they're mentally ill!" meme. That's not true. It paints those with mental health issues as violent, and that is NOT true, as a rule. Most of the mass shooters in America have never been certified mentally ill. That's not the problem.

Removing weapons of war from the general populace is the only proven method to cut down on mass shootings. The ONLY proven method. We can't predict who among us will become a mass shooter. But we do know the common things: white, male, has or likes guns, uses guns, buys a killing gun at some point, angry. That's about it. There are some differences. A couple have had a cause (like jihadists). A couple had particular anger at particular people.

These young people have proven the new generation about to turn 18 are better than some of the generations before them. They are serious, well informed, articulate, passionate, and willing to work for change. They are, as they said, the first mass shooting generation. Baby Boomers, Generation X, Generation Y, Millenials, the Mass Shooting Generation. They don't just look at their smartphones all the time, which is the joke. They've apparently been using their brains. Who knew?

Old 03-27-2018, 10:23 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
One of the student recruiters is Sen. Lauren Book(FL) ...

Students travel to Tallahassee to lobby for change – The Eagle Eye

... who had a bill she sponsored regarding firearm penalties die in May of 2017 & is also on the Committee of Rules, which has 3 firearms related bills in the works, two of which were submitted on 3/9/2018, the week prior to the school shooting.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Committees/...?Tab=CommBills

* correction: the bills were approved on 3/9, which was 3 weeks after the shooting.

Last edited by coschristi; 03-27-2018 at 10:46 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 10:31 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:

"1 in 600 million chance" - neat trick, since there are only 325 million total people in the country. (Did you read that in the NRA manual of snappy comebacks, aka "How to respond with totally false stats and then ramble on about other things, before others think to respond to the false stats"?)

Since when does it matter what the chance is, if it's unnecessary and can be lessened, so that young innocent lives are saved?

Since there are few serial killers, should we focus on other types of crime where more people get killed, and not try to solve the serial killer problem? (For instance, far more people get killed in mass shootings than by serial killers.)

Since there aren't many abortions, should pro-lifers then drop their cause and focus on miscarriages, since there are far more of those than there are abortions?

Or maybe we should disregard murders altogether and focus on something that CAN save more lives, like car accidents, since far more people die or are injured in car accidents?

Since there are speeders on the interstate going 85 in a 65, should law enforcement focus on that and not those going 75 in a 65, since going 85 is far more dangerous?

You are not a logical person, my man. You never took a logic course and you were never on a debate team. You have not done your math, either. You are not a problem solver. You are part of the problem.

Since you don't want to participate in solving the problem with common sense solutions, then step aside and let the adults do it.

ENOUGH.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:18 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Can you prove to me that YOU aren't a pawn? The majority of people subject to some sort of manipulation or propaganda are not mindful enough to see themselves. There is no credible evidence that they are pawns, only propaganda in which you have chosen to believe.
There is credible evidence. National wide, gun laws are still getting shot down (pun unintended) with the quickness by politically active constituents. It clearly demonstrates the empty gesture these rallies/protests always were and the ignorance these kids have with how political activism works.

"But one day they'll vote!" Sorry, that vote is happening right now.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:22 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
When I was a kid I remember plenty of talk about our enemies not wanting to come to war here in the United States. The reason for this was too many people have guns. I think that I read 42% of the population have a gun in the home here in the United States.

One statistic said that 9 million Americans own more than one gun. Another said about 3% of the population owned 45% of all of the guns in the nation if I remember correctly

The NRA alone has over 5 million members. Most of them are skilled at using a gun.

the Gun Owners of America have 1,500,000 members. Many of these may also be members of the NRA.

That is a lot of gun owners.

The US has 1.4 million active duty and 800,000 reserve in the military.

We also have all those people that own guns. There are enough guns in the US for all of us to be armed.

Russia has less than 1 million people in the military.

China has 2 million people in the military

Neither nation has the amount of gun owners that the US has.

Take the guns away and you level the playing field. You allow either Russia or China to have the ability to come in here and take over the place.
Wow, you sure did your homework, but my mouth hangs open and I'm shaking my head in confusion with those last two irrelevant and ridiculous sentences.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:32 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Parkland shooting survivors turned activists just got the cover of TIME magazine.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/school-sh...110036741.html

I think it is cool that these kids are standing up for something they believe in but they should not be so eager to throw away their constitutional rights. If they choose to not own a gun then that is Ok but they should not dictate to the rest of the country. They should instead work to police their own and setup programs for troubled peers. Time and again we have seen bullied kids either take their own life while other kids that have been tossed aside and left behind due to awkward peer pressure and the inability to fit in which manifests into discipline issues take up a gun "to get back at the world that hates them".

I do think something should be done to curb gun violence and school shootings such as raising the age to 21 to legally purchase a semi automatic rifle but guns like the AR15 should not be outright banned.

What do you think about these new activists getting the cover of TIME magazine and what do you think about their message?

I noticed that they did not publish the photos of the students at parkland that were against further gun control legislation. nothing like furthering your agenda at the cost of students lives.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:37 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Anyone who believes a handful of teens from a HS organized all this is nutty.

The Woman's March had toolkits, form letters, how to stage a walkout info posted on its website 2 days after the shooting.

But yeah, the handful of teens did it. What a conspiracy nut you are. Ha.
Oh and why am I supposed to care? Do you just want to be special because you "see through them" and are so much smarter than everyone else?

Yeah - I'm all for gun control for decades now - so THEY didn't convince me. If they push a few people over the line giving essentially the same arguments as many before them, great. If they can get publicity that others have not, I'm glad - but otherwise, their arguments aren't new so I don't view it as propaganda at all.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:38 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I noticed that they did not publish the photos of the students at parkland that were against further gun control legislation. nothing like furthering your agenda at the cost of students lives.
Maybe THOSE kids should organize? That is their right...if they are passive, then the OTHER side wins - that's how it is supposed to work. If you care more, and do more, word gets out. Is this some surprise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates