Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 11:06 PM

343 posts, read 306,931 times

Advertisements

Why do Americans say that in the US you have the freedom to live any type of life you want to live? Do you really think this is true? In my opinion only the wealthy in the US really get to live the way they want, everyone else is just trying to follow some script.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 11:15 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Movies and books like to say that....it helps sell movies and books. Same with getting rich quickly. There's no money in selling the idea of finding a job you sort of like and spending 45 years in it.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:16 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Well, to be honest, only the extremely wealthy by birth, luck, or homemakers can live any type of life, basically anyone living off the extreme wealth of another individual, and that is in any. Although not any country-you physically cannot have certain lifestyles in some countries.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:35 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
There was once what was called the American Dream but for all practical purposes it's died as the premise used to be that if you found a job opportunity where you worked hard and exceeded expectations that those talents would be recognized and rewarded as you climbed the career ladder. The incentive isn't there anymore for many as they watch their hard work and superior job performance exceeded by nepotism, corporate politics rewarding the lazy and/or devious as well as the younger and less skilled who willingly work for 2/3 the salary.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:13 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
I think the idea is that the system is set up to where you have the potential to become anything without having to be born into wealth or royalty. That has proven to be true in many cases, but those have failed or haven't achieved it yet often say the system is broken.
Working for somebody else's corporation or relying on government regulations and programs is NOT the way to live just any type of life you want to live.
Relying on those, you can have a good life. You can go on vacations. You can put a little away for retirement.
You can live that sort of American dream.
Half the battle there isn't the system, it's having enough personal responsibility to avoid materialism, excess, and houses that are unnecessarily big or in overpriced parts of the country.
Living however you want? Well, that's all on you and your ability to do so. If that involves money, it isn't easy and I'm not sure it should be. If we all won the equivalent of the powerball, human nature would get ugly, quickly.
As for me, I've yet to earn anything close to a six figure salary. I'm fine with that. I own a home, but I'd be just as happy in a van down by the river. More fishing, less mowing, and a much smaller roof to repair.

Last edited by sub; 03-01-2018 at 06:45 AM..

Old 03-01-2018, 09:51 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Or live wherever you want? I despise where I live and people typically say "if you don't like it, move" but that's not realistic unless you have a large amount of living expenses saved up and relatively little debt.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:27 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I think the idea centered around the notion that compared to many countries (especially prior to this century) the US had a very high degree of upward mobility and no legal barriers to lifestyle (with the notable exception of race based laws).

It didn't mean that anyone could manifest the lifestyle they wanted by sheer will. Hard work was considered part of the equation unless one was fortunate enough to be an heir to a fortune.

Of course, the US is not exceptional in this regard anymore. Slipped a few in the rankings, in fact. But it is still a country that many come to in order to convert their drive and effort into something greater than they could have accomplished in their home country.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:48 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Why do Americans say that in the US you have the freedom to live any type of life you want to live? Do you really think this is true? In my opinion only the wealthy in the US really get to live the way they want, everyone else is just trying to follow some script.
I agree with the concept with strong reservations.

Net worth will, as you indicate, make a difference as to whether or not you can be anything you want to be.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:50 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think the idea centered around the notion that compared to many countries (especially prior to this century) the US had a very high degree of upward mobility and no legal barriers to lifestyle (with the notable exception of race based laws).

It didn't mean that anyone could manifest the lifestyle they wanted by sheer will. Hard work was considered part of the equation unless one was fortunate enough to be an heir to a fortune.

Of course, the US is not exceptional in this regard anymore. Slipped a few in the rankings, in fact. But it is still a country that many come to in order to convert their drive and effort into something greater than they could have accomplished in their home country.
Well stated.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:54 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Is it not true?

Of course you might have to give up other things in the process

The so called starving artists choose their art over money for example
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates