Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:17 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Envy largely centers around climate, IMO.

And what area of the U.S. has an ideal climate where you don't ever need the A/C or heat, and please don't anyone come along and list southern California! I've heard that lie/exaggeration too many times!

I've traveled enough of the world where I happened to travel to spots, where there was much poverty, and yet, these poor people will never have to turn on the A/C or heater any time of the year.

Guatemala City, Tegucigalpas Honduras, Medellin and Cali Colombia come to mind.

Imagine being poor FL and can't afford to use the A/C (or not A/C present) or being in MN with insufficient funds to heat your apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 07:45 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,818,241 times
I had an Indian co-worker who used to sneer that America was the only country where all the poor people were fat!
Whatever, ..but when we had a garage sale at my parents house we couldn't even GIVE the older big TVs away.
Of course we didn't live in a poor neighborhood, so there's that.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:06 PM

643 posts, read 329,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Envy largely centers around climate, IMO.

And what area of the U.S. has an ideal climate where you don't ever need the A/C or heat, and please don't anyone come along and list southern California! I've heard that lie/exaggeration too many times!

I've traveled enough of the world where I happened to travel to spots, where there was much poverty, and yet, these poor people will never have to turn on the A/C or heater any time of the year.

Guatemala City, Tegucigalpas Honduras, Medellin and Cali Colombia come to mind.

Imagine being poor FL and can't afford to use the A/C (or not A/C present) or being in MN with insufficient funds to heat your apartment.
(last sentence )

Minnesota has a law that your electricity can not be turned off by the power company in winter due to non-payment.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:02 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Wat.

I grew up poor.

We had no AC, inadequate heating in the winter, no non-waste indoor plumbing save for a single sink pumped from the well, our toilet was unusable because it was sinking into the floor, no bathtub (we used a horse troth), the foundation of our home was damaged, we had one working burner on our stove, the entire house had five electric lights total (we did use candles), we went many times without a single working car, we had no TV, we only got by for food because of church drives, and when we did have a PC it was rented. Sometimes we didn't have power at all. I barely had clothing, and often what I did own was full of holes.

I literally slept on a blue tarp on a hard wood floor with a garbage bag of old newspapers as a pillow for over a year. Not even an exaggeration.

All that and I grew up in a "rich state". New York. Imagine how much worse it is in the poorest parts of WV, KY or Mississippi.

Sure, I had a video game system. I had it because friends of ours gave it to me for free. That's how I got my Nintendo. In 1998.

That's just one place we lived. We had to move a lot because of jobs drying up or things going poorly in some way. I hopped trailer parks, motel rooms, and even lived with my family in a mini van.

What's this "the American poor have cars and AC and blah blah blah" crap? Those people aren't necessarily poor. Struggling, perhaps, maybe impoverished but have items through the charity of friends. Nevertheless, that is not what I consider the American poor. That's more like lower middle class.

Consider this too, if they have those things they may be up to the heavens in debt. Eventually that will crumble around them and they will lose those comforts.

Sure, my poor still wasn't as bad as Calcutta poor, but it sure as hell was not desirable.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
I had an Indian co-worker who used to sneer that America was the only country where all the poor people were fat!
They just don't understand why that is.

Cheap affordable food is extremely unhealthy. It takes a lot of money or a personal farm to eat right.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:56 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Poverty is relative to ones surroundings... if your very poor but live just round the corner from luxurious penthouses it must feel worse to sharing poverty with a large area.. people dont know any better sad as it is.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Poverty is relative to ones surroundings... if your very poor but live just round the corner from luxurious penthouses it must feel worse to sharing poverty with a large area.. people dont know any better sad as it is.
Growing up in NY the wealth disparity is extremely noticeable. I dare say you are judged more harshly here for being poor than you would be in more overall poor states.

It's an angle people in generally poor states don't often have to experience.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:45 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Agreed but I think the biggest difference in the very poor in the US (and the rest of the 1st world) vs. the poor in undeveloped countries is the amount of work done. The very poor (and their children) in the developing world are laboring around the clock to eek out a very basic sustenance. Failure often means death. There is little or no burden on anyone outside of their own communities. Its easy to sympathize with their plight.

The very poor in the first world are effectively wards of the state. They are guaranteed a basic sustenance and perform very little labor in exchange for it.
With TANF that was adopted under Bill Clinton, even “wards of the state” isn’t true unless you’re disabled or have dependent children. An able bodied single male can’t be a ward of the state. At best, they qualify for Medicaid and a tiny amount of food stamps. It’s why opiate addiction is so devistating. Not disabled, at least initially. Too drugged up to work. Begging and property crime are how they survive.

You want to be poor in a small first world country with a homogeneous population. It’s easier to politically support generous social services when everyone in your country is part of the same tribe.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:33 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
No I have never heard of poor Australians being in envy of poor Americans.

Everyone here, poor or rich, has access to universal health care. We have a national disability scheme, a non contributory old age pension which is asset and income tested, so poorer people are likely to get the full amount. Plus many other welfare benefits.

The size of a house is not really as important as its function. The Japanese and Singaporeans live in small efficient spaces without discomfort. Having a car is not relevant if a country has excellent public transport, as does Singapore.

Having recently been in San Francisco, I saw a type of poverty that I have never seen in any of the six continents where I have travelled.

I am sure the poor in the US and indeed my country are materially better off than in many countries, but not necessarily socially. But to assume that poor people in the whole world envy those in the US is quite off the mark, to put it politely.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:16 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Nice to hear from you again Charles Koch - its been a while.

"Quit whining, American poor people and refugees from the middle class. You’re actually part of the 1 percent.

That’s the laughably misleading claim in
a new ad from right-wing multibillionaire Charles Koch. The $200,000 ad campaign, now running in Kansas, starts off like one of those breathless infomercials: “Are you in the 1 percent?” a male voiceover asks. “Well, if you earn over $34,000 a year, you are one of the wealthiest one percent”—he pauses slightly before the kicker—“in the world.”

https://www.thenation.com/article/ch...nomic-freedom/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates