Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 11:59 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
I have never encountered a situation with a cop in which I felt they were abusive of their power. In Boston, I was riding my bicycle and a guy cut me off in his car to get a parking space. I couldn't stop in time and slammed into the side of his car and broke the mirror off. He wanted the cops called, even though he was at fault. The cop threw my mangled bicycle in his trunk and drove me home, which was miles from the accident site. I did get thrown in jail as a kid with my best friend because we were playing pranks with cars, which were potentially dangerous. Our parents were called to pick us up. It was to teach us a lesson.

When you write "some idiot with a badge" it is obvious you have an anti-cop bias.
There are good cops and bad cops. Having one encounter with a good cop does NOT negate all the bad experiences and the bad cops. Nor does it negate the need to better train cops in how to de-escalate rather than take every opportunity as one for a "beat down".

How many "wellness checks" have we heard about lately that have turned into people getting killed? I've learned you can never call a cop to do something like that when they are obviously trained only to deal with people with guns...and apparently are trained to believe anything can be a gun.

Last edited by reneeh63; 09-01-2018 at 12:21 PM..

Old 09-01-2018, 12:17 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Walk in the cops shoes for a time, it will change your opinion.
It might change my opinion but it won't change the law. Police officers acting as the OP described should be prosecuted just as anyone else breaking the law.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:35 PM

631 posts, read 562,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
There are good cops and bad cops. Having one encounter with a good cop does NOT negate all the bad experiences and the bad cops.
The VAST majority of cops are principled professionals. They really are. Yes, of course, there are a few that stray as in any group. I know it's *hip* or *woke* or *socially conscious* or *I'm-showing-my-liberal-credentials* to bad-talk the police, but it is really hype. That doesn't excuse poor police behavior, which needs to be addressed/redressed/corrected whenever and wherever it arises. It's actually dangerous to over-talk how abusive the police are... it makes their job much harder, even deadly for them and the people they encounter as it unnecessarily raises tensions. There really are a lot of nut-jobs who belief the police are the biggest oppressors in the country.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:22 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,207,356 times
Everyone has a breaking point. I think we have to give officers a lot of credit that more of them don't flip out.

I can't imagine doing their job where they get pressure from their bosses, the public, the SJW's and politicians like Granny Warren calling them all racist and blaming them for the problems in society and then having to deal with the dregs of humanity on a daily basis.

You would have to have a strong sense of right and wrong with all that hanging over your head and then to have some loser in your face saying horrible things to you.

I'm surprised that more people don't get a beating from the cops and then cash in with a lawsuit and learn nothing in the process beyond that being a punk pays.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:43 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
What if I do what I'm told while calling him an a$$hole? Does he still get to beat the crap out of me? I sure couldn't even touch someone on that basis.
Maybe just use your right to remain silent if you're being arrested. Or not being an ******* yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Tough luck. They didn't know that before they signed up? That gives them a right to break the law themselves?

And by the way...do you even know the definition of "snowflake". Someone who stands up for themselves would not fit the definition.
Regardless of the definition of snowflake, rules still apply to everyone. Most cases of supposed police brutality are because people being arrested were escalating the situation by their own stupidity.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Maybe just use your right to remain silent if you're being arrested. Or not being an ******* yourself.

Regardless of the definition of snowflake, rules still apply to everyone. Most cases of supposed police brutality are because people being arrested were escalating the situation by their own stupidity.
These are some pretty strong arguments you've got here....impressive.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:30 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Time and time again you see videos where a person and a cop are arguing and despite the person not physically attacking them in anyway the cop eventually just grabs the person and arrests/beats them. Look, I can understand if someone throws a punch at a cop and especially goes after them with a knife and gun the cop taking the person down, but when it comes to a purely verbal altercation other than deciding to give a guy a ticket why arrest and get violent with someone that is purely verbally say cussing you out or whatever? It's completely absurd.

It just seems as if most cops think any kind of "disrespect" warrants an arrest/beating. Hell, as awful as it would be a person could say something like "I'm going to rape your wife and kids!" and they still have no right to arrest them.

Or commit assault and battery.

I've noticed, or it seems to me, these type cops have a huge ego, with them expecting everyone to follow everything they say or do like a lamb. Yes, we are supposed to follow commands but some times guys aren't going to do that. Or they misunderstand what the cops are saying...

When the cops feel disrespected, such as when person does not follow commands immediately, they get huffy and insulted and mad someone is not jumping to follow their commands fast enough to suit them. It seems then that the cop loses it, assaults etc.

A cop in my area was caught on tape beating a man in the head since he wasn't following commands to get on the ground.....this was on tape. He was forced to resign.

The guy's crime was jaywalking at night.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:46 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,014,802 times
Quote:
What if I do what I'm told while calling him an a$$hole? Does he still get to beat the crap out of me? I sure couldn't even touch someone on that basis.

You can call him an ***hole all you want while following his orders.

But if he tells you do something and you don't, he'll probably beat you anymore.

You don't refuse police orders. You comply, and if there's a problem that is what the courts are for later. Too many people would rather just act tough these days. Hint: They're not.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Everyone has a breaking point. I think we have to give officers a lot of credit that more of them don't flip out.

I can't imagine doing their job where they get pressure from their bosses, the public, the SJW's and politicians like Granny Warren calling them all racist and blaming them for the problems in society and then having to deal with the dregs of humanity on a daily basis.

You would have to have a strong sense of right and wrong with all that hanging over your head and then to have some loser in your face saying horrible things to you.

I'm surprised that more people don't get a beating from the cops and then cash in with a lawsuit and learn nothing in the process beyond that being a punk pays.
No other citizen can just "lose it" - doesn't matter if someone calls you a mofo who sux dddks , you can't touch them. If you start saying cops can then that's how you get a lot more people killed over nothing.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
You can call him an ***hole all you want while following his orders.

But if he tells you do something and you don't, he'll probably beat you anymore.

You don't refuse police orders. You comply, and if there's a problem that is what the courts are for later. Too many people would rather just act tough these days. Hint: They're not.
Yes, but that wasn't the OP's question and you could tell from my answer that I accounted for that anyway. Non-compliance is the EASY question to answer - speech is something else. Of course it's easy enough to lie and they could say you hesitated too long getting your ID out if they wanted to, so there's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates