Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2018, 05:56 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times

Advertisements

Well, in the current political-climate, I would remain-silent and insist my lawyer is present before answering any questions with regards to any allegations of sexual-misconduct.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:55 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
What's weird is...more and more of my friends are going nuts about this outcome. I thought the whole #MeToo movement was...about giving a victims an opportunity come forward. In the case of Ford, she was given a chance to come forward and put the now Supreme Court Judge to trail.

There had been quite a few MeToo situations where the courts did judge Bill Cosby and Weinstein guilty, however, not EVERY single of the accused will wind up guilty obviously. They ALL can't be winners, right?

But...I thought the whole purpose of the movement was to have women come forward, have their say, and put bring them on board for an appropriate hearing/process. Sometimes the outcomes will not be a "Guilty" verdict every time right?

Funny thing, I have women friends that posted praises, welcoming Kavanagh to the Supreme Court. That they were glad he was proven innocent.

In actuality, people are more concerned about THEIR side winning, than what really matters. But that's an entirely diff. convo. altogether.

Well, I think that is always the story, the situation of not realizing that a trial can have multiple outcomes.

As I often say, for many many years, if we know they are guilty, then why bother having a trial in the first place? (because that is the way we do things and we don't know they are guilty).

Old 10-10-2018, 10:48 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,283 times
I am surprised and saddened that there are actually enough ignorant people to argue against due process where sex crimes are concerned

ANYONE can make up a story...and it happens all the time...women are very good liars...

Old 10-10-2018, 03:12 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
These sorts of crimes are often he said/she said situations where it's hard to really prove if anything actually happened. Because of this they are notoriously difficult to prosecute, and guilty perpetrators are often set free. It's been said that it's better to let a thousand guilty people go free than let one innocent person be punished, but that leaves a lot of victims without justice in sex related crimes. Should the presumption of innocence apply to sex crimes, or in the interests of justice for victims should the onus be placed on the alleged perpetrator to prove their innocence?
A sex crime is just like any other physical assault. You have to prove it happened, you can’t just assert it. So no, no special treatment for sex crimes. Nobody gets to be automatically “believed”. Due process and presumption of innocence is correct. Many sex crimes can often be avoided by choosing rational behaviors. Don’t drink to excess, watch where you go, watch how you dress, watch how you comport yourself, make yourself able to physically defend yourself from assault, etc. Physical self-defense should be taught in grade school and maintained in middle and high school. Delete dodgeball or basketball, introduce karate and judo. Sex crimes would be unheard of if physical defense capabilities were prevalent in the citizenry.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:47 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
A sex crime is just like any other physical assault. You have to prove it happened, you can’t just assert it. So no, no special treatment for sex crimes. Nobody gets to be automatically “believed”. Due process and presumption of innocence is correct. Many sex crimes can often be avoided by choosing rational behaviors. Don’t drink to excess, watch where you go, watch how you dress, watch how you comport yourself, make yourself able to physically defend yourself from assault, etc. Physical self-defense should be taught in grade school and maintained in middle and high school. Delete dodgeball or basketball, introduce karate and judo. Sex crimes would be unheard of if physical defense capabilities were prevalent in the citizenry.
Agreed but they will paint this as "victim blaming".

Old 10-10-2018, 05:28 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Agreed but they will paint this as "victim blaming".

It's both. You'll notice that he put the total onus on the female.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:27 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

Having done extensive unarmed combat and ballet, let me just say that cross training is very important in being proficient in one's prowess.

Ie, "There is my goal but a group of men in various positions are in my way. How do I get from here to there, how do I get past them?".

That can be basketball or avoiding gang rape.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:43 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
I am surprised and saddened that there are actually enough ignorant people to argue against due process where sex crimes are concerned

ANYONE can make up a story...and it happens all the time...women are very good liars...
Seriously, dude?

Old 10-11-2018, 08:46 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
People accused of sex crimes are already presumed guilty. The jury is not thinking "that man is innocent, unless they prove him guilty." They assume "He must have done something, or he wouldn't be on trial".

Old 10-11-2018, 10:09 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Seriously, dude?
dead serious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates