Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 11:26 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,158,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
We plan on being cremated and neither of us will be embalmed. I think that's better for the planet than all those chemicals leaching into the soil. I still have my cat's ashes, two dogs and a pot belly pig. Who ever of us goes first will keep all of our ashes and add our current cat and dog when it's their time. After the last of us goes, all of our ashes will be put in a hole by this big tree. I'm never leaving this house
Sounds nice enough, frankly, not that you needed anyone's permission or even opinion.

My mom was cremated, my dad scattered her ashes various places in his travels and told me about it. I liked that. His, in-turn, have been scattered at 2/3 places he liked. I figure "no rush" on that third place, right? I'll get there. Two were small ceremonies with a friend or three. Last, who knows? That's between me and the old man. Spiritually, draw your own conclusions.

I had my beloved kitty scattered w/other pets here in town on some fallow land that will be recovered in some number of years; that seems nice enough. Could have kept them myself for another fifty bucks. I thought on it and said to myself, nah: to the Earth we each shall go. I have a memorial to her on my mantel, which is sufficient. She lived a long, long time (for a cat) and while sad she's departed, I don't dwell on it.

As for me, cremation, and I've "asked" to be scatted a couple places. Whether others do is their concern, but I do hope so frankly. So ends the sentiment.

I could give less of a **** what is "legal" or not, per OP's question. I didn't declared DoD's ashes (part II) at an airport and they caught them on carry-on, and we had a brief tussle, but they let me off with a "please declare beforehand next time." My bad. Guessing a neutron scanner or God knows what caught what it was as it went through. I should have thought that through better, but will next time if I don't check a bag.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:59 AM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Originally scattering came from atheists who wanted to make sure God couldn't ever find them again.....a ridiculous premise but it was their way of protesting I would guess. Over the centuries countless folks have been burned or drowned and gone to the bottom of the oceans.....God can deal with all of it.
I know you had to have just made this up because it is just too stupid for anybody to believe, and I think it is hilarious.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
I had an acquaintance who died from AIDS. His family wanted to scatter his ashes in the sea that he loved. Some questioned that, Aids and all. They were told it was okay since the remains were cremated and the burning took care of any disease.

I know a cemetery that has a scatter garden. Some people like it, some don't like the idea of their loved one's ashes scattered among many others. Some places don't allow on private property, no matter how large, some places do. National Parks...some like notice, a permit or something.
How is it possible that adult humans wouldn't know this?

Old 05-09-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Yes. Urns with somebody's ashes inside, kept in a living area like that is absolutely gross.

Some day, someone's gonna have one "holiday cheer" (drinkee) too many, fall against that table, and so & so's ashes will be all over the rug in the candy bowl, in the cushions, on people's clothes, etc.

You'll be visiting a hysterical MIL in the psych hospital after that morbid event.

Talk about "asking for it."
Not original. Didn't the Monty Python troupe work that into a skit where they put the supposed ashes of Graham Chapman on a coffee table and then one of them "accidentally" kicks it over and spills the contents?

Old 05-09-2019, 01:41 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,919,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How is it possible that adult humans wouldn't know this?
Right. It wasn't that long ago. You'd think they would know, right. He was such a great guy. And a wonderful family.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,191,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
We plan on being cremated and neither of us will be embalmed. I think that's better for the planet than all those chemicals leaching into the soil.

That doesn't happen. Some States require burial vaults. Your coffin goes into what is basically a cement tub with a cement lid on top. Even when States do not require burial vaults, many cemeteries do require it as a condition of burial. So, if you haven't pre-purchased a burial vault or your loved ones are too cheap and do not buy a burial vault, they may have to do the two-step to find a cemetery that will allow them to bury you without a vault.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:10 PM

599 posts, read 500,175 times
My step father's ashes ended up being involved in an interesting story. He wanted them to be spread in a very remote patch of state forest, at the top of a mountain, near where his hunting cabin was located. His best friend contacted a state forest ranger about making arrangements. The ranger sternly warned him that the whole idea was against state law, and strictly forbidden on state forest lands. The ranger then asks exactly where the caller proposed to have this small ceremony and scatter the ashes? The friend gives a very specific location and the ranger knew it well. The ranger then asks if there is an exact time for the event? He then tells the friend that there are a number of locked gates on various roads that would prevent access to this spot, unless all guests wanted to climb straight up the mountain to get there. The ranger ends the call by telling the friends that all gates will appear to be properly locked, but the locks will not be latched. He requested that all gates be closed and properly secured after the event, and reminded the caller that the conversation never happened.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:34 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,469,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Originally scattering came from atheists who wanted to make sure God couldn't ever find them again.
Source, please.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:11 PM

599 posts, read 500,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
First of all, you can't just scatter someone's ashes.

You can't stand on the beach and scatter Aunt Matilda's ashes into the ocean.

You have to be three miles offshore and in 1500 feet of water.

Same thing for scattering on land.

Look it up.
No need to look anything up.

I'll go with what actually happens in the real world. Every year, all over the world, countless numbers of humans do exactly what you propose "can't" be done to aunt Matilda. Every years countless millions more folks scatter ashes on land, into rivers, ponds, lakes, streams, volcanos, canyons, caves, out of planes, off the stern of boats, or while skydiving, skiing, hiking, visiting their favorite park, and a few dozen other places and ways you couldn't even imagine. Given that they are engaged in a sacred undertaking of ceremonially scattering a coarse sandy material composed of sterilized bone, it really is of no consequence to anybody not directly involved in this very personal event, and in reality nobody's else's business.

Pretty much take your, "first of all, you can't" comment, and contrast it to the fact that, at this moment there are hundreds of people, all around the planet doing exactly that. It may be 100% approved and accepted by local culture and custom, or it may be illegal, but in the scheme of it all, who cares. This is a private MYOB event.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:56 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,400,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Scattering is better than taking up prime land for cemeteries.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates