Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 07:21 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,470,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
How is adoption horrible. So based on this logic, we should just euthanize all of the unwanted children for convenience. What about the rights of the children. One of the main tenets of government is to protect it's citizens. Equal protection under the law. Why is it that a child must have it's rights violated to make it easier on society.

With next day birth control, there is absolutely no excuse for an unplanned pregnancy besides kidnapping/rape. We used to have common sense abortion laws in this country, if the fetus was viable outside of the womb, no abortion. Then the left had to come and mess it all up demanding abortion up to the day of birth. Now we have another drawn out battle that is going to be fought in the courts.

Any woman who can't make up her mind before the end of the first trimester should have to carry to term.

Most of the women in the article aborted for selfish reasons. My family and I can't wait to be able to purchase a bigger home so that we can adopt.
Where the heck do you see abortion up until last trimester day? Talk about mistating.

Its self worthy to make a decision . One that comes at a cost .

Glad you wish to adopt. Good on you. Wonder how easy and glib it is for the person choosing to go full term and then surrendering it to a stranger.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:47 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,068,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Where the heck do you see abortion up until last trimester day? Talk about mistating.

Its self worthy to make a decision . One that comes at a cost .

Glad you wish to adopt. Good on you. Wonder how easy and glib it is for the person choosing to go full term and then surrendering it to a stranger.
Thousands have given their babies up for adoption. I'm not saying its easy.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:08 PM

385 posts, read 324,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Abortions for convenience should not be the first choice.

Saying I was too busy so I got an abortion makes me sad.

At the end of the day I accept it's a woman's decision. But I hope women do it because of other health issues not *just* because they feel like it.

I am not talking about an embryo. I'm talking about something that could survive outside the womb.
There was a recent Frontline episode devoted to abortion, sort of an update of a previous episode about the topic that aired decades ago.

The show featured three different women who were getting abortions. None of them had cavalier attitudes about abortion -- in fact in two of the cases, their partners (one had a husband, the other a boyfriend) were very involved in the decision-making process.

Even if the woman makes the decision alone to have an abortion, she weighs the decision carefully.

How would you like it if women legislators passed laws prohibiting men from having vasectomies?

One poster above referred to abortions where the fetus could survive outside the womb. That has to be a late term abortion, which is extremely rare.

From wikipedia: Late-term abortions are rare with about 1.3% of abortions taking place after the 21st week of pregnancy, and less than 1% occuring after 24 weeks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_t...n_of_pregnancy

These late term abortions are usually performed when the mother's health is at serious risk or fetal abnormalities are detected.

The new abortion laws that are sweeping the southern states are seeking to ban abortion from conception, and in several states do not even admit exceptions for incest or rape.

Those laws are cruel and inhuman, IMO. Why would anybody insist that a twelve-year girl who is raped by her uncle cannot have an abortion?

Lastly, many abortions are medical, and only involve the taking of pills (abortifacients), and therefore don't even involve a procedure.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:53 PM

18,404 posts, read 19,042,623 times
Quote:
Thousands have given their babies up for adoption. I'm not saying its easy.
Adoption is a solution for some women for not wanting to parent. Abortion is for women who don’t want to be pregnant period. Let alone be a brood mare for others

Old 05-24-2019, 06:17 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,960,825 times
There is no such thing as a rare abortion.

20% of all pregnancies are aborted.
https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-shee...-united-states

Anyone who thinks that abortions rarely happen and happen only in bad situations is delusional.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:25 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,068,781 times
Townshend thanks for your post. I don't support these new abortion bills. I think there should still be access to abortion. I just hope that it is done for rape, incest, health of the mother or fetus.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:54 AM

1,281 posts, read 1,423,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
so...if the woman (mother) wants one, ok.
what if the donor (father) does not?
maybe two females marry but
then divorce and one is pregnant...
Her choice only? partner has no rights?
These situations are complicated but the answer is NOT forcing a woman who doesn't want to be pregnant to carry the baby to term. Life is unfair sometimes. The biological fact of being pregnant dictates that the person who is pregnant gets to make the decisions about her own body.

No, the partner has no rights when it comes to deciding what a woman does with her body. Should a partner have a legal say about whether she pierces her ears once or fifty times? Be able to compel her to give up a kidney to save someone else?

If a compromise between the partners can be reached, wonderful! But in the end only one person--the pregnant one--gets to decide whether she remains pregnant. Nature is funny that way. Partners can go to court if they feel a contract was breached, but it doesn't have anything to do with their parental "rights" until after the baby is born. Only after there is a CHILD involved can there be discussions about parental rights.

(And don't come at me with that third-trimester b.s. No doctor worthy of the name would ever terminate a pregnancy at a late stage without extremely good, medical reasons. Not wanting to be pregnant is not one of those reasons.)

There will always be situations that push the envelope, keeping medical ethicists busy. The law is a blunt instrument and not the right way to handle personal/family health issues.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:16 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,960,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
These situations are complicated but the answer is NOT forcing a woman who doesn't want to be pregnant to carry the baby to term. Life is unfair sometimes. The biological fact of being pregnant dictates that the person who is pregnant gets to make the decisions about her own body.

No, the partner has no rights when it comes to deciding what a woman does with her body. Should a partner have a legal say about whether she pierces her ears once or fifty times? Be able to compel her to give up a kidney to save someone else?

If a compromise between the partners can be reached, wonderful! But in the end only one person--the pregnant one--gets to decide whether she remains pregnant. Nature is funny that way. Partners can go to court if they feel a contract was breached, but it doesn't have anything to do with their parental "rights" until after the baby is born. Only after there is a CHILD involved can there be discussions about parental rights.

(And don't come at me with that third-trimester b.s. No doctor worthy of the name would ever terminate a pregnancy at a late stage without extremely good, medical reasons. Not wanting to be pregnant is not one of those reasons.)

There will always be situations that push the envelope, keeping medical ethicists busy. The law is a blunt instrument and not the right way to handle personal/family health issues.
The continued argument is that the mother has the ultimate decision whether to kill her own baby.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:31 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
I'm a liberal but this article by CNN make me less sympathetic, not more. One women gives a health reason. The others basically say, it wasn't the right time or it wans't convenient. Could they not have carried the baby to term and given it up for adoption?
Many women see giving a baby up for adoption as a far more painful choice. To have a child floating around in the world that you know nothing about; how they are being treated; are they being abused; etc.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:34 AM

1,074 posts, read 642,069 times
I am, on the whole, about as far to the left as you can be. However, abortion is a rather slippery slope.

Making the decision to rid the earth of any creature that God/Mother Nature decided to put here has to be wrong, right? However, the precedence was set for legalized abortion because women- grown women who were sisters, daughters, wives, and friends- were dying, or being emotionally ruined forever, because of an unwanted pregnancy, and trying to get rid of it themselves.

It is simply the lesser of the two evils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates