Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 02:59 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,079,488 times

Advertisements

This was inspired by another similar thread. Trying to keep them separate. The other thread was intended for people who believe in pro life 100% of the time.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/great...e-100-a-4.html

The intention of this thread is to more understand different opinions on whether or not younger pregnancies should allow abortion not on the pregnancy, but on the expected situational outcome after the birth.

When I hear about "acceptable conditions for an abortion" the "big three" reasons are usually: rape, incest, and health/life/safety of the mother. What are your thoughts on just: young dumb kids having sex without protection, and getting pregnant. Years ago we lived next to a family that had an 8 year old who started having her period. Even 18 year olds aren't always smart enough to figure out some common sense things, but they get to make their own choices. Bodies, and brains are still developing. Maturity may or may not have started. At what point if any, is having a life more important than putting off a family as to when that child will have a better "foundation". I think the old thought process for teenage pregnancy was you can ruin one life or you can ruin three, (not trying to sound so cold). I think times have changed (because they have had to), some.

Obviously it matters whether or not you believe in any condition, in the main three common reasons, or if you think its completely pro-choice. I think it would help to better understand where an answer is coming from if you care to share.

Are there any conditions where it might matter (just to throw some out there): they are both stupid, both have single working parents who won't be able to help, both are young and already starting criminal behavior. Maybe they are both incredibly smart, already accepted to college, had a couple beers and the first time they had sex got pregnant.

For the sake of this thread, lets say that no matter how young of an age, there is no reason to believe any harm may happen to the mother or child due to PREGNANCY. Also that no matter the age, the sex was consensual, and a close age.

If there is another reason, that you feel it should be allowed or that's a close fourth, please share.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:13 PM

18,407 posts, read 19,036,217 times
I am pro choice. I have no problem with a you g girl having an abortion because she made a mistake. Perhaps she was pressured, maybe not, either way children shouldn’t have babies. I would however support any choice she made

Old 06-12-2019, 04:12 PM

17,605 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I am pro choice. I have no problem with a you g girl having an abortion because she made a mistake. Perhaps she was pressured, maybe not, either way children shouldn’t have babies. I would however support any choice she made

I consider myself more pro-life.. However. The only place I disagree with you here is that I would prefer that all the options be laid out to make sure that she knows that there are potentially viable other options. Lots of people who are waiting to adopt in this country.

But, I come back to you at the end of the day.. If she ultimately decides to go through with it.. Then it should be available to her. So, while I might not approve of the decision.. I would support the decision to be hers to make.

The concern I have, and it's not something that should be legislated.. People who use abortion as a method of birth control. Is that a big problem? I don't know.. I wouldn't want it to become a big problem. I don't like it.. 'advertised' for lack of a better term as "unrestricted" simply because I don't like the implications of the term. I worry that putting it out there like that does encourage people to use abortion as birth control, which.. Obviously I am very much against.

I believe our differences would be far more easily overcome than differences between religion and the 'unrestricted' crowd.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:58 PM

18,407 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I consider myself more pro-life.. However. The only place I disagree with you here is that I would prefer that all the options be laid out to make sure that she knows that there are potentially viable other options. Lots of people who are waiting to adopt in this country.

But, I come back to you at the end of the day.. If she ultimately decides to go through with it.. Then it should be available to her. So, while I might not approve of the decision.. I would support the decision to be hers to make.

The concern I have, and it's not something that should be legislated.. People who use abortion as a method of birth control. Is that a big problem? I don't know.. I wouldn't want it to become a big problem. I don't like it.. 'advertised' for lack of a better term as "unrestricted" simply because I don't like the implications of the term. I worry that putting it out there like that does encourage people to use abortion as birth control, which.. Obviously I am very much against.

I believe our differences would be far more easily overcome than differences between religion and the 'unrestricted' crowd.
We don’t disagree at all. The young girl’s choice is what should prevail and I would make sure she knew all her choices. Thankful I don’t have young girls to worry about. My feelings would be very different if the child was 10 or 12 vs a 16 yr old that Every case is unique to the individual that’s why I go the woman’s choice.

The idea of abortion for bc being a big problem depends on who you ask. I truly don’t think women are getting 10 abortions a year and literally using it as bc. I’m guessing, women having more than two abortions in her reproductive years is low number

Old 06-12-2019, 07:17 PM

7,782 posts, read 6,396,341 times
Dumb kids result from Sex Ed classes that practice social engineering instead of teaching kids what they need to know to stay out of trouble.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:47 AM

9,872 posts, read 7,747,075 times
I know many people who had teen moms, myself included. There's always a bit of shock and disappointment when the pregnancy is announced, then families deal with it and celebrate the new baby. So, I'm a bit partial to not running off to the abortion clinic.

Is it okay for a teen to have an abortion without telling her parents? How is that a true choice? The family doesn't have the opportunity to discuss how they could or couldn't help raise the baby or give it up for adoption. A stranger at a clinic takes control of a minor's life and death decisions.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:11 AM

50,865 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Dumb kids result from Sex Ed classes that practice social engineering instead of teaching kids what they need to know to stay out of trouble.
No. Everyone whoever got pregnant unintentionally wasn't dumb. And we all -- including you -- do "dumb" things occasionally.

And, what's in a sex ed program is usually due to pressure from the "community".

Old 06-13-2019, 08:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
We don’t disagree at all. The young girl’s choice is what should prevail and I would make sure she knew all her choices. Thankful I don’t have young girls to worry about. My feelings would be very different if the child was 10 or 12 vs a 16 yr old that Every case is unique to the individual that’s why I go the woman’s choice.

The idea of abortion for bc being a big problem depends on who you ask. I truly don’t think women are getting 10 abortions a year and literally using it as bc. I’m guessing, women having more than two abortions in her reproductive years is low number
Thats an interesting stance to take...the young girl is pregnant due to a BAD choice she made...so when it comes to whether or not to terminate the pregnancy, 'her choice' should prevail?

Since she made a bad choice in getting pregnant, what makes you feel her choice to end it would be any better?

Old 06-13-2019, 08:39 AM

606 posts, read 420,093 times
Those three reasons listed account for maybe 2-3% of abortions. Rest are because it is convenient. I personally think that women should be given a choice for almost any reason. However, I don't support late term abortions or anything after 16 weeks unless the baby has a severe deformity or has no chance of surviving and is not discovered until later. Pregnancy is not cheap nor easy on the body. At that point one should know if they really wanted that baby or not. Let's be real. If you do not come from a happy, 2 parent home in which one or both parents have a decent income and great health insurance pregnancy is a real financial burden. This should never be forced upon anyone who is not physically, financially or mentally ready. And I really think we could do with less people having babies just for the benefits. Children do not deserve that.

Aside from those reasons we need to consider there are far too many unwanted children here already with no families or anyone that wants them. Why add to that? Many of these children end up in an overburdened foster care system until they age out with no skills of their own. Some become homeless. But regardless of whether aged out children make it I think we can all agree that these adults have an uphill battle. If a child is not self motivated or does not have some kind of mentor they will fall through the cracks. At that point what use would their right to life be if they barely have one?

Old 06-13-2019, 10:36 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,110,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
Those three reasons listed account for maybe 2-3% of abortions. Rest are because it is convenient. I personally think that women should be given a choice for almost any reason.
As both my life & my posting history will attest; I am solidly pro-life. However, you just touched on my one nerve on the issue by using the phrase; 'given a choice'.

You know; as if I've ever once in my life sat around waiting for the benevolence of men to decide which choices they will allow me to have. Yeah, that one doesn't fly. Even the faith that I was raised in, that I have failed miserably in maintaining for my own household, would not presume that any entity; not God nor man; control my choices.

The wording is important to me. As a pro-lifer; I wouldn't even participate in a forum on this topic & I may not even vote, if the issue were stated as it is: Choosing to kill your baby. Of course, as a woman; I have the choice to kill or not to kill. The government's role will be to endorse or not endorse my killing.

It is what it is; call it Planned Genocide since they think an embryo or fetus is just a lump of cells. I mean; that's true. It's temporarily lumpy & it contains human genes & cells.

Women should own their choice to kill the same as men. Anything else is discrimination; what if a man were to kill an unborn baby? Understand that the government may also choose to deem you as indebted to society & I'll support your freedom of choice because I really have no choice in the matter, do I?

I'm not representative of the pro-life as a group & I'm okay with that. I've never 'asked to be given' a choice & I've suffered some consequences as a result. I'm okay with that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates