Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 10:46 AM

14,420 posts, read 14,344,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I know many people who had teen moms, myself included. There's always a bit of shock and disappointment when the pregnancy is announced, then families deal with it and celebrate the new baby. So, I'm a bit partial to not running off to the abortion clinic.

Is it okay for a teen to have an abortion without telling her parents? How is that a true choice? The family doesn't have the opportunity to discuss how they could or couldn't help raise the baby or give it up for adoption. A stranger at a clinic takes control of a minor's life and death decisions.
1. Choices belong to individuals not to families.

2. In a small number of families, getting pregnant might result in a teen getting a beating.

3. Most laws that allow a teenager to have an abortion require an appearance before a judge. Some scrutiny is given its just that the family cannot veto the decision.

4. Ultimately, the decision to parent is an enormous decision. Not taking care of your children can land you in serious trouble with the law. I can understand why some choose not to become parents.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:54 AM

17,616 posts, read 15,321,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I know many people who had teen moms, myself included. There's always a bit of shock and disappointment when the pregnancy is announced, then families deal with it and celebrate the new baby. So, I'm a bit partial to not running off to the abortion clinic.

Is it okay for a teen to have an abortion without telling her parents? How is that a true choice? The family doesn't have the opportunity to discuss how they could or couldn't help raise the baby or give it up for adoption. A stranger at a clinic takes control of a minor's life and death decisions.

My mother was adopted.. Thanks to 23andme and ancestry, I'm starting to reconnect with that side of the family.. So, yeah.. I certainly have an interest in seeing adoption be explained clearly as a valid choice.

Could a 17 year old get a tattoo? As for the 'morning after' pill.. Could they go to the doctor and be treated for an STD without parental knowledge?

I think the first answer is no and the second is yes. And.. I'd probably have the same stance. They shouldn't be able to get an abortion without parental knowledge, but.. I have to then make allowances for the RU-486 or whatever that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats an interesting stance to take...the young girl is pregnant due to a BAD choice she made...so when it comes to whether or not to terminate the pregnancy, 'her choice' should prevail?

Since she made a bad choice in getting pregnant, what makes you feel her choice to end it would be any better?
And, you could look at it as if she's forced to have the child, would she make good choices during the pregnancy to avoid fetal alcohol or other issues?

I'm no fan of abortion.. But it does have a place, unfortunately.. Don't like the idea of 'unrestricted', but.. I also sit back and don't have good ideas on restrictions that don't go too far, so..

I certainly don't agree with it being used in ways such as aborting a child with Down Syndrome or aborting a fetus because it's a girl when the parents want a boy. And certainly not after a specific timeframe (of which I'm no doctor so I'm not smart enough to answer what that timeframe is..)

Old 06-13-2019, 11:02 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,359,306 times
Quote:
Thats an interesting stance to take...the young girl is pregnant due to a BAD choice she made...so when it comes to whether or not to terminate the pregnancy, 'her choice' should prevail?

Since she made a bad choice in getting pregnant, what makes you feel her choice to end it would be any better?
Ending it if she doesn't want a kid will probably be a better choice than getting pregnant due to youthful carelessness because during most of the pregnancy the fetus has nothing to lose...which leads me to another understandable reason for abortions: it usually benefits the fetus.

According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists in the U.K. Fetuses likely won't have the equipment to experience pain before about 24 weeks, and likely won't feel it until the third trimester.

Some people wonder if pain can be felt in a meaningful way...a way that actually hurts, through more primitive parts of the body that develop earlier than the part of the brain those colleges believe is responsible for experiencing pain. However, the American one has, I've read, 58,000 members and appears to be a pretty respected organization.

If a fetus cannot feel pain, death is not a negative experience for it because it won't understand death enough to perceive it that way. It won't understand the future so death would not "steal" future goals away from it either. Death would, therefore, arguably, be either a neutral or positive experience for the fetus, due to allowing the fetus to avoid future harm at no cost to itself.

If the fetus had some kind of disorder, an early abortion essentially acts as a painless cure for that...because the mother could just have another child without the disorder later. She could have had one of two children, a child without a disorder, or a child with the disorder. In this scenario she had the child without the disorder and the child with the disorder never existed in any way that is really meaningful, so aborting the first fetus with the disorder isn't really different from curing the first fetus of the disorder then birthing it...except in the sense of what matters to the parents. We're not robots. Different people will have different, usually extremely influential, sorts of bonds to what they consider their "children" and a parent who wants to keep the fetus with Downe syndrome could very well love that kid enough that the kid could have a more wonderful life than most kids without Downe syndrome

But if a parent doesn't want to raise a kid with Downe syndrome and gets an early abortion, before the fetus can experience pain, the fetus isn't losing anything from that. However, if governments force mothers not to get abortions of fetuses with disorders before the fetuses can likely experience pain...that's basically the equivalent of the government injecting diseases into random children.

Even after fetuses can experience pain abortion is still more of a trade off than anything necessarily harmful. Most of the time when people get late abortions, when fetuses might experience pain, it's for some pretty large reasons that might effect the life of the fetus as much, or more, than most birth defects.
The abortion would essentially act as a cure for that with a side-effect of pain.

If we ignore all that though, really, a major reason why people say abortion is about a woman's rights over her own body is...I'm not sure we have any reason to believe abortion at any stage of pregnancy causes much more harm eating meat from factory farms. Both the fetus after achieving the ability to experience pain and meat animals have a lot of similarities. That's kind of an ugly thing to think about...but that's consistent with the way our society treats most forms of nonhuman life.

Humans are different from most animals because we can

A: have our future plans essentially "stolen" through death. Most animals don't understand the future well enough, or death well enough, to really lose things in that way.
B: fear death and
C: We are social organisms and each death of ours causes pain to people who knew us and
D: Human adults and older children, unlike fetuses, understand death enough to, more or less, know whether we want it or not. The concept of the future is totally beyond fetuses. They can't have opinions on it. Unlike humans, adults and at least older children, they lack the understanding to know they want to exist.
And finally E: Legalizing taking the lives of adult humans without their consent breaks the bonds of trust holding society together and collapses society. Allowing abortion doesn't do that, because it causes no one to fear their life ending unexpectedly.

Even 1 year old fetuses have many of those factors in common with fetuses. About the only difference is that they're able to experience pain and they've been awake and aware of their surroundings for considerably longer.

You could kind of argue, though, that maybe we should legalize the euthanasia of older children, for certain life-altering conditions, all the way up to the point where they are better, or as skilled, as than their parents at knowing whether they should exist or not. For far into their childhood they won't have a firm understanding of the nature of life either. You'd just see more negative ramifications building up the older you go...with kids getting scared of being euthanized because they're sick and having their dreams "stolen" by unexpected death.

The only definite age when taking human lives without our consent for our supposed benefit would clearly cause more harm than good would come when we're fairly old children who can clearly have a decent understanding of the difference between life and death, and understand enough to be made scared at the prospect of having their lives taken just for getting sufficiently sick.

That's the extreme branch of what the "pro-choice" movement might be, but never is. Nobody wants that sort of thing. But, as harsh-sounding as that is, at least it could, arguably, all be for the benefit of the child.

When people want to ban abortions before fetuses can feel pain though...I see that as worse than legalizing the euthanasia of three year olds with cancer, because banning abortions when fetuses can't feel pain definitely will harm the fetus in some instances, because the fetus wouldn't lose anything from death...whereas legalizing the euthanasia of three year olds with cancer would only harm them in a kind of debatable way, and will help them in another kind of debatable way.

Most people don't think about that though. I find it awe-inspiring just how motivated people are to run to their flimsy, fictional, imagined realities whenever they think of anything discomforting. People, usually, just pick whatever worldview feels best and totally ignore reality, even when their worldview dramatically skews that reality to the point of altering everything about their lives for basically no reason.

Pro-life mothers go through the pain of childbirth then give their kids up for adoption, when they could have had an early abortion, for basically no reason, just because it appeals to their imagined worldview. I've heard some pro-life mothers talk about how they nearly died from childbirth and still discourage abortion...not just late abortion. They talk about abortion in general. People maintaining their flimsy, fictional worldviews, oftentimes, appears to mean more to them than almost anything...more than what's best for their lives, or other people's lives too.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:30 AM

17,616 posts, read 15,321,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Pro-life mothers go through the pain of childbirth then give their kids up for adoption, when they could have had an early abortion, for basically no reason, just because it appeals to their imagined worldview. I've heard some pro-life mothers talk about how they nearly died from childbirth and still discourage abortion...not just late abortion. They talk about abortion in general. People maintaining their flimsy, fictional worldviews, oftentimes, appears to mean more to them than almost anything...more than what's best for their lives, or other people's lives too.

Calling their beliefs and values 'flimsy', 'fictional' and 'imagined'... Not necessarily the best way to convince them to change their minds.

That's no more helpful than the people who are writing the bad laws in Alabama, Georgia and other locations.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:53 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,465,713 times
Quote:

She is correcting her bad choice with a much smarter one, which will likely leave her much better off financially and career-wise: that's why it's better.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:37 PM

18,414 posts, read 19,053,577 times
Quote:

I wouldn’t force anyone to give birth nor would I force abortion or adoption. All are traumatic. I would do my best to counsel the best choice for the situation. The age of the child is also a factor

Old 06-13-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Calling their beliefs and values 'flimsy', 'fictional' and 'imagined'... Not necessarily the best way to convince them to change their minds.

That's no more helpful than the people who are writing the bad laws in Alabama, Georgia and other locations.
Nah...it's helpful. I explained why those beliefs are flimsy. I wasn't talking about religion...only the specific beliefs I described, and why. So far as I can tell, I was thinking from the Christian perspective, the atheist perspective, and all other perspectives.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
My mother was adopted.. Thanks to 23andme and ancestry, I'm starting to reconnect with that side of the family.. So, yeah.. I certainly have an interest in seeing adoption be explained clearly as a valid choice.

Could a 17 year old get a tattoo? As for the 'morning after' pill.. Could they go to the doctor and be treated for an STD without parental knowledge?

I think the first answer is no and the second is yes. And.. I'd probably have the same stance. They shouldn't be able to get an abortion without parental knowledge, but.. I have to then make allowances for the RU-486 or whatever that is.

And, you could look at it as if she's forced to have the child, would she make good choices during the pregnancy to avoid fetal alcohol or other issues?

I'm no fan of abortion.. But it does have a place, unfortunately.. Don't like the idea of 'unrestricted', but.. I also sit back and don't have good ideas on restrictions that don't go too far, so..

I certainly don't agree with it being used in ways such as aborting a child with Down Syndrome or aborting a fetus because it's a girl when the parents want a boy. And certainly not after a specific timeframe (of which I'm no doctor so I'm not smart enough to answer what that timeframe is..)
Then, unless you're just talking about what's best for you, you're wrong. As I've explained, abortions that take place before it's possible to experience pain essentially act as painless cures for Downe syndrome. There is no obvious reason why a kid would be better off with Downe syndrome I'm aware of...unless the parent just has a preference to not get an abortion, which not all parents have. Downe syndrome is often associated with birth defects, particularly heart problems. Sometimes it'll produce children who have trouble caring for themselves who will likely outlive their parents. There are perfectly sensible reasons to abort fetuses with Downe syndrome. It isn't at all like aborting fetuses due to gender.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I consider myself more pro-life.. However. The only place I disagree with you here is that I would prefer that all the options be laid out to make sure that she knows that there are potentially viable other options. Lots of people who are waiting to adopt in this country.

But, I come back to you at the end of the day.. If she ultimately decides to go through with it.. Then it should be available to her. So, while I might not approve of the decision.. I would support the decision to be hers to make.

The concern I have, and it's not something that should be legislated.. People who use abortion as a method of birth control. Is that a big problem? I don't know.. I wouldn't want it to become a big problem. I don't like it.. 'advertised' for lack of a better term as "unrestricted" simply because I don't like the implications of the term. I worry that putting it out there like that does encourage people to use abortion as birth control, which.. Obviously I am very much against.

I believe our differences would be far more easily overcome than differences between religion and the 'unrestricted' crowd.
Yeah...I tend to lean more towards the unrestricted crowd. In some ways I'm less encouraging of unrestricted abortion access than the people who think any abortion limits are "slavery." I wouldn't describe it that way...but I think they have something pretty close to a point.

I'm not just pro-choice. In our society, I'd either like a neutral attitude, or an attitude that actually encourages it.

I actually like the idea of abortion used a emergency birth control. Two-thirds of abortions occur in the first 8 weeks of pregnancy when the fetus is an inch or under long. I'd rather not have people hesitating to do that, and I definitely see that as more ideal than having a kid that wasn't planned for enough that the parents don't want.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:35 PM

249 posts, read 196,764 times
If a young woman is considered old enough to raise a child, why does our society not trust her to make a decision about abortion? Again, it seems to go back to the lack of value we place on females unwilling to reproduce at our whims in this society.

I believe that ALL females should have access to safe and legal abortion, no matter their age (or reason). If 'you' don't want that young lady making your medical or family decisions, what gives 'you' the right to make hers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates