Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 12:48 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I wouldn't have to "Press 1 for English".
The truly conservative position would be, "Please press 1 for Latin, 2 for Greek, 3 for Hebrew, 4 for Aramaic, 5 for Gallic and 6 for Persian."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 01:19 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,965 times
What about the accents when they speak English ? You cant expect them to speak in Deep South Accent while flying from the first time to USA from Sri Lanka ?
They know English but immigrants also have a native language. They will speak that with their friends / family.

I can understand that people are perturbed over foreign language signs / instructions but there must be some strong reasons (commercial benefits) behind this.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:33 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The truly conservative position would be, "Please press 1 for Latin, 2 for Greek, 3 for Hebrew, 4 for Aramaic, 5 for Gallic and 6 for Persian."
By Latin you would mean an ANCIENT LANGUAGE. I took 4 years of Latin in HS, in addition to 3 years Spanish. I can remember one time I went to an ATM to get cash out after 9/11 in NY and English was not an option. With my HS Spanish, I got cash out using Spanish. Gallic? My Irish Ancestors from over 100 years spoke ENGLISH as their Native language. ATM with Gallic? ROFL I think you might be confused with GREEK.

You really need to educate yourself on languages.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:33 PM

813 posts, read 402,457 times
There is a certain percentage of Americans that hate immigrants.

I had a yard irrigation system installed. The white small business owner had all Mexican workers on the day of installation. One was designated foreman and he spoke very little English. Being like most Americans, I only know one language so really couldn't communicate with them. Anyway, it was a job well done and the owner came back in the afternoon to inspect and collect pay. As time goes by, I think all those workers will eventually know English as a second language which is saying a lot compared to the natives.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:49 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Do you really think that English is taught in all countries? And that everyone who might want to come to the U.S. has access to English speakers or books or tapes or whatever so they can become fluent BEFORE even getting here? Obviously you only want well-off educated people immigrating - that's what you're REALLY saying.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:49 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
By Latin you would mean an ANCIENT LANGUAGE. I took 4 years of Latin in HS, in addition to 3 years Spanish. I can remember one time I went to an ATM to get cash out after 9/11 in NY and English was not an option. With my HS Spanish, I got cash out using Spanish. Gallic? My Irish Ancestors from over 100 years spoke ENGLISH as their Native language. ATM with Gallic? ROFL I think you might be confused with GREEK.

You really need to educate yourself on languages.
I think you might be confusing Gallic for Gaelic. They're 2 different things. Also, good thing you learned some Spanish in high school or you'd never have been able to get your money.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:54 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,586,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When the millions of Irish immigrants arrived here, they were so desperate for work, they even took the jobs of emptying chamber pots in NYC, which the Blacks were doing. And, thus, they referred to them as White Negroes. When the Russian Jews arrived here, by the thousands, the more uppity Jews looked down upon them.

I believe, if my memory serves me right, when it came to a vote to mandate which language would be universal in the U.S., English won only by a hair.

The best way to embarrass lazy Latin immigrants is to speak to them in fluent Spanish. "Si puedo hablar Espanol, no puede hablar in Ingles? (If I can speak Spanish, you can't speak English?)

Pretty good for an Anglo. You only missed by two words, having that last line be grammatically correct.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:19 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times
Most immigrants these days come to Australia fluent in English because we have a points based immigration system which encourages this. Many are Indian and Chinese and from other Asian countries.

So then what happens is, in the recent elections, one of the politicians got himself into all sorts of trouble when speaking to a group of blue collar workers and saying that their jobs are being threatened by Chinese with PhDs. Did not go over well with some of the ethnic communities.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:41 AM

914 posts, read 642,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Most immigrants these days come to Australia fluent in English because we have a points based immigration system which encourages this. Many are Indian and Chinese and from other Asian countries.

So then what happens is, in the recent elections, one of the politicians got himself into all sorts of trouble when speaking to a group of blue collar workers and saying that their jobs are being threatened by Chinese with PhDs. Did not go over well with some of the ethnic communities.
I thought you didn't allow immigrants to vote there in Oz. Sorry for being blunt, but if that is still in fact the case, who cares about what the Chinese immigrants think if they cannot vote?

Old 05-26-2019, 04:39 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
I thought you didn't allow immigrants to vote there in Oz. Sorry for being blunt, but if that is still in fact the case, who cares about what the Chinese immigrants think if they cannot vote?
When the immigrants become citizens of course they can vote. Actually then they have to vote because voting here is compulsory.

This particular incident caused a lot of comment and was thought to be one of the many reasons that the opposition did not win the election last week even though it had been widely predicted to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates