Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 08:15 AM

24,650 posts, read 10,980,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There are twice as many students studying in English all day in India, as in the US, and their syllabus is more demanding. There is no evidence that British grammar and vocabulary is different from American and certainly none that it is inferior. A majority of educated English speakers in thw world are in India, and your failure to understand that majority is an issue or your ear, not their tongue.

I recall a British intern almost going into shock when she complained about not having enough blankets at her stay and I offered her one of my comforters.

My ears are fine. Thank you. And I have the decorative item you hang on the wall saying that I am somewhat up to speed in English language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 02:35 PM

286 posts, read 211,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was thinking about this at a Spanish class I was taking, and one woman very angrily said that no one should be allowed into the country unless they can speak English.

Well, I happened to work for 17 years in a nursing facility with Asians who couldn't emigrate to the U.S. unless they were fluent in English (I think you know whom I'm referring to) and, armed with the English language, they were the most aggressive, go-getters I've ever encountered. Nurses working 6-7 12 hour shifts a week, nursing aides working a 40 hour week at one place, and then roll right over to another facility to work 40 hours and grab extra hours or shifts on weekends. A mere slice of the American Pie is not enough for these people, and if they have to destroy their health in the process, they want a ice luxury car and a home in a gated community. Thank-you for forcing us to learn the English language!

Now! If the Latino's, in particular, came here as fluent in English, would more higher paying jobs then be lost to these immigrants? Or would have been lost? Would there then be even more anger with these immigrants?
No jobs would be lost because the economy would grow.
And the country need immigrants because someone has to support aging baby boomers.

The issue with immigration is the fact that theoretically we can bring the best and the brightest who would start contributing right away (which implies knowing English). On our terms and in manageable quantities depending on current needs. But instead we accept anyone (legal and illegal) majority of whom don't contribute anything and need to receive all kinds of support. Some of them are illiterate even in their native languages.

So this is a valid question: why should we let anyone in and why not to select the best? And the best would mean highly educated people (which implies they know English good enough).

Old 06-11-2019, 08:00 PM

830 posts, read 1,731,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Do you really think that English is taught in all countries? And that everyone who might want to come to the U.S. has access to English speakers or books or tapes or whatever so they can become fluent BEFORE even getting here? Obviously you only want well-off educated people immigrating - that's what you're REALLY saying.
Lol, the funny thing about this thread is that if we only took well educated immigrants fluent in English, they would be far more intelligent than the anti-immigrant complainers in this thread.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:38 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,190,015 times
Then people would find something else to complain about rather than getting their own lives together...

Old 06-23-2019, 03:04 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,505,417 times
Quote:
Now! If the Latino's, in particular, came here as fluent in English, would more higher paying jobs then be lost to these immigrants? Or would have been lost? Would there then be even more anger with these immigrants?
Not speaking English perfectly doesn't prevent them from getting high paying construction jobs. Also they seem good at starting small businesses and hiring other Hispanics. Where I live I've never seen a homeless Hispanic but have seen many Hispanic small business owners.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:26 PM

120 posts, read 65,491 times
We would have a bunch of people that speak multiple languages, but that wont solve any of our consumption problems.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:25 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,512,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
My test was to translate the phrase "do you speak English".
Lol...mine was something simple as well... something about Abraham Lincoln...not to translate, but write a sentence down...
I spelled Lincoln wrong.....

Old 07-02-2019, 09:47 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,559,002 times
Quote:
I was thinking about this at a Spanish class I was taking, and one woman very angrily said that no one should be allowed into the country unless they can speak English.

Well, I happened to work for 17 years in a nursing facility with Asians who couldn't emigrate to the U.S. unless they were fluent in English (I think you know whom I'm referring to) and, armed with the English language, they were the most aggressive, go-getters I've ever encountered. Nurses working 6-7 12 hour shifts a week, nursing aides working a 40 hour week at one place, and then roll right over to another facility to work 40 hours and grab extra hours or shifts on weekends. A mere slice of the American Pie is not enough for these people, and if they have to destroy their health in the process, they want a ice luxury car and a home in a gated community. Thank-you for forcing us to learn the English language!

My parents emigrated from Mexico. My dad made sure to learn English. My mom to some degree also. They taught us that to make it in this country, we needed to learn its language. At the same time, they taught us our ethnic roots also but did not encourage us to try impose our Hispanic culture and values on others in the community. We learn to share them with those around us though, just as others shared theirs with us.

When I teach management, HR, and business classes, we talk about this point since we live in border town. Some of my students complain how they Hispanics are marginalized. Also, they complain how Koreans have taken over many of the businesses in the downtown area. Koreans this, Koreans, that, on and on and on.
I compare the Koreans with the Mexicans in our city. I ask them how long have their parents have been living in the U.S. Some have been living 20+ years and yet they have not cared to learn English. At the same time they complain about the low pay jobs they have. From there I tell them to go to the Korean stores. Notice that this group made sure to learn English. On top of that, they learn Spanish to communicate with the high volume of Hispanic clients that cross the border to come and buy things! That is smart business!

I do not believe we should force or expect people to learn English. However, if anybody comes to this country, it would be wise to do so. If not, don't expect for people to cater to you. Don't bring an entitlement mentality. Japanese, Chinese, and other ethnic groups tend to flock together in communities so they can live close to their ethnic values. At the same time, they learn English to go higher in the economic ladder. That is smart. Actually, Asians, I believe, have the highest academic achievement levels than any other group, including whites. I am talking percentage wise.

The two groups that I admire for their work ethics over Hispanics, women, and blacks, are Jews and Asians. They have been discriminated but as they bring-up their issues, they keep climbing the economic ladder. They don't spend their time mopping around about how bad they had it and how they are discriminated.

In my family, my wife and I made sure our daughters spoke Spanish at home. We watched Mexican TV channels as much as English ones. So our daughters grew-up bilingual. When I was stationed in Germany, I tried to learn the language enough to go places. People tend to be more receptive and appreciative of us trying to learn their culture and language. When I was stationed in Korea, the same. That attitude opened up so many doors and opportunities along great and pleasant memories wherever we have been. My oldest daughter stayed in Germany when the family transferred back to the states. She stayed their for about 15 years. She learned German and now that she is back in the state, she has become a valuable asset to the organization that she works for because they send her to Germany for business trips. Sometimes the boss takes her with her so they can navigate in the country.

So, in my opinion, if all immigrant came to this country were fluent in English, they would have higher standard of living and they would be a less burden to society.
You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 07-05-2019, 03:49 AM

37,152 posts, read 42,269,129 times
It would be much better if they did. I'm not worrying about loosing higher paying jobs, I would expect legal immigrants would be skilled in all types of things the country needs since it's not in our interest to just take in low skilled workers.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:19 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,409,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
They use British grammar and vocabulary and often mix it with their native syntax and voice structure. Generally hard to understand for Americans.
Practical exercise - contact an ATT/Kohl's/.... 800 number with a customer service issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There are twice as many students studying in English all day in India, as in the US, and their syllabus is more demanding. There is no evidence that British grammar and vocabulary is different from American and certainly none that it is inferior. A majority of educated English speakers in thw world are in India, and your failure to understand that majority is an issue or your ear, not their tongue.
..."knowing English" is just a sliding scale test that some Americans just don't want anyone else to pass. Yeah, next thing is to have a Tennessee accent on top of it all and know their specific dialect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates