Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 11:37 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times

Advertisements

Controversy over colonial American flag got me thinking: which society in the world has history with best history of treating ethnic minorities / women / different sexual orientations well?

I can understand non White hetero people being uncomfortable about colonial era America but every other society I know of also has problems. I think slavery was practiced in every nation in the Americas except Canada. Every democracy I know if at some point didn't allow women voting. Homo / bi sexuality has been common and accepted in some ancient societies, treated brutally in others. Income inequality has been major problem universally except in primitive cultures.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:53 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Controversy over colonial American flag got me thinking: which society in the world has history with best history of treating ethnic minorities / women / different sexual orientations well?

I can understand non White hetero people being uncomfortable about colonial era America but every other society I know of also has problems. I think slavery was practiced in every nation in the Americas except Canada. Every democracy I know if at some point didn't allow women voting. Homo / bi sexuality has been common and accepted in some ancient societies, treated brutally in others. Income inequality has been major problem universally except in primitive cultures.
First, there is equality of outcome when compared to equality of opportunity. There are those cultures that have had it relatively easy with minimal diversity. Anyway, there are several countries in the West that today, in the 21st century, have come very close to treating all of their citizens as equals given I am talking about an equality of opportunity. Also, it should be understood that societies consist of humans, and humans will always be flawed. So, if you consider where it began with primitive cultures, it has been a long process.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:09 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,185,305 times
People can be given all the opportunity and inclusiveness in the world, still doesn't make it worthwhile in the long run. The need for greed plus the overly zealous efforts to be fair and inclusive destroyed the progress of a society as a whole.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:21 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
the Mongol Empire was permissive for a time and for its time.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:51 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Inclusive across the board is a tall order, but Iceland has a long history of women having agency.

Matronymic last names, no stigma to having kids out of wedlock, return of dowry on divorce (and women could initiate divorce), widows would inherit their spouse's estate etc. The sagas are loaded with strong women wielding power in different ways. Not to say there weren't gender roles, of course.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:07 PM

725 posts, read 805,991 times
A lot of societies have been but they have all been racially and ethnically homogenous. You can’t have an inclusive country without a genetic group of people with shared culture, language and borders. Otherwise you have division, chaos and resentment and everyone will always be at odds. It’s nature and natural. Japan is an inclusive country, so is China (not talking politically), so is Iceland and so is Austria. Countries like Brazil and the U.S. with certain groups committing a disproportionate amount of violence, crime, perpetuating poverty and demanding more government handouts at the expense of productive people wears thin.

Even India had to be split in two with the creation of Pakistan because religious differences were too hard to overcome. Even today violence still plagues India because before the British, India didn’t exist as one country but 500 plus kingdoms with different groups and ways of life.

Last edited by john620; 07-03-2019 at 05:29 PM..

Old 07-03-2019, 04:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Not quite. Even though this happened before Canada was a country, it still happened on what is now Canadian soil.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....ck-enslavement

Old 07-03-2019, 06:35 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Red China. Very inclusive.

BTW, OP, the "controversy about the colonial flag" is a created crisis to give empty talking points to empty skulls.

Slavery has been practiced all over the globe. It is still practiced extensively. Ditto human trafficking and sex slavery. See the Mexico-USA border for details.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:36 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
It is more important for the people of today that the country recognizes it's past shortfalls and does its best to redress past wrongs. We might not be seeing a current wrong doing that will be recognized as a wrong doing 100 years from now but we should recognize our wrong doings from 100 years ago, ensure that we are not repeating them and redress, even if it's only in the form of an apology and admission of those past errors.

Any society that cannot or will not reflect at its past mistakes and wrong doings and acknowledge those errors will be subject to n9t become more inclusive.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:21 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
People can be given all the opportunity and inclusiveness in the world, still doesn't make it worthwhile in the long run. The need for greed plus the overly zealous efforts to be fair and inclusive destroyed the progress of a society as a whole.

What in the name of all that's holy are you babbling about?

Back to the original question. Equality and inclusion are very modern concepts. There is not a country or society on the planet in its recent history that operated in a way that's acceptable today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.