Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 09:16 AM

88 posts, read 65,134 times

Advertisements

As opposed to too harsh or fair.This is something that is constantly repeated by many people in many countries.

I suppose one aspect is that there really is no "justice". In cases of theft and burglary, a financial compensation can sort things out but with murder that destroys a family, rape that leaves someone emotionally scarred and pregnant or an assault that leaves someone facially disfigured, no amount of money can relieve the trauma so when someone gets off with 10 years people believe the criminal should be killed/left to rot.

There's also the idea that prison is too soft but from the friends I talk to, prison ain't soft. It may be better than the hellholes in South America/SE Asia but it's terrifying. A "dog eat dog" world and if you show any signs of weakness, people will pick on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 10:42 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,210,090 times
I don't get that sense. I think there is a lot of disagreement on this in the US, with some thinking it is too harsh and some thinking it is too soft. I am one of many whose main complaint is that it is imbalanced and inconsistent. You see some people sentenced to relatively light sentences for serious crimes and others for harsh sentences for seemingly lesser crimes. There are a lot of reasons for that - different jurisdictions, different juries, different judges, and of course the fact that people with greater resources can afford a better legal defense and therefore often receive acquittals or lesser sentences. To me it is imbalanced, not lax as an overall condition.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:05 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
Why do (some) people in America think the criminal justice system is too lax?
Because those people tend to confuse 'justice' ...with vengeance (eg: capital punishment).

Old 07-18-2019, 11:16 AM

510 posts, read 447,705 times
Default System too lax

Because of the high crime rates consisting of both offenders and repeat offenders in addition to consistent disorders in society negatively affecting schools, workplaces, and neighborhoods.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:22 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,474 times
I think people that think that (too lax) are mainly concerned about recidivism rates.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:31 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I think people that think that (too lax) are mainly concerned about recidivism rates.
Yeah, that's definitely my problem, and no other city is a better example of that than Chicago. So many thugs and criminals get light sentences for murders, muggings, robberies, rapes etc.... then are released out again to do the same exact thing all over again.

Obviously if they're cool with committing more crimes and going back into jail time and time again, they must not have a serious problems with the conditions in jail.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:54 PM

88 posts, read 65,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Yeah, that's definitely my problem, and no other city is a better example of that than Chicago. So many thugs and criminals get light sentences for murders, muggings, robberies, rapes etc.... then are released out again to do the same exact thing all over again.

Obviously if they're cool with committing more crimes and going back into jail time and time again, they must not have a serious problems with the conditions in jail.
But that doesn't mean prison is a good place though? I suspect for the Average American saying that, they would crap their pants if they ever had to spend a few months in prison. Especially people who've never fought in their life.

And unless you want an incredibly difficult life of finding decent jobs, housing, a record sucks big time.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:10 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
But that doesn't mean prison is a good place though?

I suspect for the Average American saying that, they would crap their pants if they...
Prisons are a CEU program for criminals.
Some learn how to get out and out of the game but most learn new or better tricks.

If you know someone is a criminal (prosecuted, sentenced, etc)
the last thing you want to do is to move him in with other criminals.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-18-2019 at 01:22 PM..

Old 07-18-2019, 01:33 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
I am not American, but to me a killer has no more right to live. That person has crossed a line from which there is no way back. He or she will remain a pariah forever. It is irresponsible to release someone like that into society ever again. Like one of those mad dogs that rip apart children. They can never be trusted again. There is no cure for such brains. They should be put to sleep to protect society. I am a progressive, mind you, not conservative at all.

What I find really disturbing is how the legal system works these days:
For instance there is a case here where a daughter and her husband have brutally murdered her mother in order to inherit her stuff. The evidence is overwhelming, yet I heard the couple's lawyer argue on TV today that it is all invalid bla bla bla.
In other cases lawyers systematically try to set criminals free based on procedural errors.

In my view lawyers should only try to prevent someone from being falsely convicted, but as soon as lawyers themselves realize their clients are indeed guilty, they should no longer even try to set those criminals free, but merely make sure the penalty is not excessive relative to the crime.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:50 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I wouldn't say it's lax, but wildly inconsistent.

A 28 year old teacher, Brittany Zamora, recently got a twenty year sentence for having sex with a student. A local man where I'm from got a thirty day sentence for a fatal DUI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates