Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 03:12 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,486,208 times

Advertisements

This quote seems to appear all the time. I don't know if there is a known original author or not.

Strikes me as material for a "great debate"............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,847,092 times
An unfortunate byproduct of our evolutionary heritage, but not always true.

In fact, many of our highest human archetypes are described as people of tremendous personal power who use their power to confort, help and protect those weaker than themselves (the "hero" archetype for example, or religious figures, like Jesus), not dominate others.

Our evolution has taken us away from brute force and preying on the week to somewhere between a brutal chimp-style society and our highest aspirations of virture.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 AM

8,432 posts, read 7,446,811 times
If the strong have always preyed upon the week then animals would always eat their young.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:10 AM

78,618 posts, read 60,797,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
This quote seems to appear all the time. I don't know if there is a known original author or not.

It's easy to say that after the fact in any conflict....labeling the victor as "strong" and the vanquished as "weak".

I personally just think it is a trite saying with no depth and boiling the myriad causes of conflicts down to a simplistic saying is worthless.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:33 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
Its often the case that a fool is boen evryday. The strong wil always survive. That when their is somethigto be gained the frauds wil appear. That the poor will prey o the weak.here really are all sorts of examples but that does mean it is near always the case. The strong and able will tho always prosper better. That can mean that those who don't care to try will always be at the bottom but i alos seems that they wil try to get some of what is meant for the weak and disabled also.That is why there always is a difference between the diabled and the stron andhealth when they fail to survive well on their own.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:54 PM

34 posts, read 49,178 times
I connect this quote with acquiescence. It's something someone says to excuse anti-social behavior.

Important to remember that the "strongest" do not always prey on the weak. And that the weak will never prey on the strong, by definition, referring back to Mathguy.

The most exact description would be to say that physically, politically, or financially imposing bullies always pick on those who are smaller than themselves. And the people who witness such behavior and make the quoted observation are accessories.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:25 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,889,086 times
The strong has at times, helped the weak... and the weak has often times preyed on the strong... just search "parasites" and think about all the parasites in the world... being weak does not imply being harmless... and being strong does not imply as being harmful... although many will try to make you think that...

Old 04-09-2011, 06:23 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,212,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
If the strong have always preyed upon the week then animals would always eat their young.
Wow, such wisdom.

You are right.

It's the WEAK who prey upon the STRONG.

How stupid of everyone else in the universe not to see that.

Sheesh.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:24 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,212,645 times
Quote:

It is obvious and true. What is there to debate?

Old 04-09-2011, 07:13 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,170,623 times
Quote:

When the weak come together, look after each other, they become the strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates