Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 11:25 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,672,416 times

Advertisements

Though I enjoy C-D, I never related to the attraction of FB. Never been on it.

My sisters say it's to keep in touch with their kids who would not communicate enough with them, otherwise. I have no kids, so am not interested in the minutia of others'.

I have heard it's waning in popularity with the younger set, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 11:31 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,744,059 times
Social media is popular where people spend the most time of their lives at work. Places like Asia and America where people put in long hours of work is where it is most used. In places like Europe, most people get longer vacations and you don't see addiction to these services. I know a lot of Europeans they would tell us places they go and done. They don't post it on social media like Americans or Asians.

You see Asians where there's lots of introverts due to society, often posts on social media about their little adventures such as eating a cup of ice cream or posting about their tooth aches. Do I really care?

Americans have a ton of attention whores but wouldn't go out to make friends irl, on social media it's easy to rant about stuff or do something stupid which Americans are very good at doing. A lot of millennials risk their lives posting their adventures on social media just for the thrill of getting attention. You don't see many Europeans do it because they are out enjoying life or protesting. My colleagues in Europe most get 6 weeks of vacations and no job security worries. They often travel all over the world and occasionally post them but they believe in privacy that's why the EU is taking on Facebook, Google, etc about privacy. While the US government look the other way when it comes to penalizing companies that gather our private data without permissions.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:11 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,599,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
Social media has done more damage to mankind than anything I can think of. It could bring our complete and utter undoing.
Then why are you on here using it????

Old 09-22-2019, 08:21 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,284,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Social media is popular where people spend the most time of their lives at work. Places like Asia and America where people put in long hours of work is where it is most used. In places like Europe, most people get longer vacations and you don't see addiction to these services. I know a lot of Europeans they would tell us places they go and done. They don't post it on social media like Americans or Asians.

You see Asians where there's lots of introverts due to society, often posts on social media about their little adventures such as eating a cup of ice cream or posting about their tooth aches. Do I really care?

Americans have a ton of attention whores but wouldn't go out to make friends irl, on social media it's easy to rant about stuff or do something stupid which Americans are very good at doing. A lot of millennials risk their lives posting their adventures on social media just for the thrill of getting attention. You don't see many Europeans do it because they are out enjoying life or protesting. My colleagues in Europe most get 6 weeks of vacations and no job security worries. They often travel all over the world and occasionally post them but they believe in privacy that's why the EU is taking on Facebook, Google, etc about privacy. While the US government look the other way when it comes to penalizing companies that gather our private data without permissions.

Maybe europeans have to travel because they want to get away from living like sardines on top of each other or constantly hearing the roar of a billion cars/buses outside their windows?

In America, life is more diversified and idyllic which leads to ideas and creativity. In europe, there's a few big cities then a boring wasteland until you get to the next big city.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:31 AM

983 posts, read 997,064 times
Social media isn’t bad in itself, it’s just that now people can go through the most extraordinary lengths to avoid talking to each other. Throw up a screen in front of everyone you meet, that’s the way to have rich relationships now. I swear I don’t know how people have sex anymore, that would mean getting close and being away from the smartphone.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:17 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,324,628 times
LOL you can always tell which generation it is when these kind of posts pop up LOL. First and foremost, radio, TV, Newspapers are all tools of social media too. With that being said, social media isn't going anywhere, except up. It'll continue to evolve and grow, and people will invent new ways to utilize it. For those of you yearning for "the good ole days," those days are gone. Take off your nostalgic rose-tinted glasses and put them away for good. The Internet, and social media apps like Facebook may have some negatives, but there are also a lot of positives too. There's pros and cons with anything. The Internet has helped business around the world increase productivity. The Internet allows companies to start letting their employee work from home, which reduces our carbon footprint. Smartphones help us in the workforce, help to keep us more organized, and provide other ways to connect and entertain us. If you don't like it, don't use it. I am so grateful to have grown up in the 90's, which was hailed as the digital age. I loved tech/computers as a kid, and it's the reason why I am in IT now. I love my career, and love seeing technology advance as we keep perfecting and/or find new ways to improve what exists, or making something brand new. I love seeing it change the world. (For the good of course.)

Old 09-23-2019, 02:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,211,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatIfigured View Post
That's exactly right. Will women ever tire of being told they're beautiful, sexy, fun, smart, etc? Of course not. 30 "likes" is as strong as a shot of heroin. Until something more effective comes along to feed their addiction, social media is here to stay.
This is sexist in my opinion. Men don't like compliments?

And FB and the like are tools, to be used however the user wants to.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:48 PM

9,444 posts, read 11,198,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Though that's part of it, I mostly see two other goals: 1) vanity and trying to look like one has the perfect life (attempting to out-Jones the Joneses), and 2) stupid rantings about politics.

There really isn't much "for the world to see"; at least not much substance that really matters. It's like some strange mirror. They look into it, seeing themselves online, and get impression of celebrity or status, while the mirror only reflects a trivial life of unimportance. You could sample dozens of people, and basically find a similar bunch of clones.
When you tell everyone you're going here or going there or gone for the weekend or didn't leave the bar until 2am you're setting yourself up for predators and sickies, and there are plenty of them roaming the internet.

But yeah, I agree it's all about me-me-me and for people who get too stressed by email.

A cousin phoned recently to let me know a relative had died. We used to email but she slowly dropped off email when she want to facebook. She was wondering aloud, "How did we get out of touch? I think it was something about guns." I would never talk about guns with someone who has gun rabies. But never mind that.

She never stops talking and never starts listening, so she didn't hear that "You quit emailing us," she'd moved on to some other important points.

Maybe number of hits is important too, I have no idea.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:31 PM

1,056 posts, read 729,282 times
I do get tired of it sometimes. Why do I do it anyways, then?

Spoiler
1: To keep up and make plans with my friends (which often fails, unfortunately).
2: To keep my eyes peeled for disloyalty, activity and odd behavior.
3: To periodically check in, making sure my friends are OK.
4: To periodically make sure my friends still haven't met any potential boyfriends for me.
5: To communicate interesting facts.
BONUS: I doubt this could really be considered a "social media," but this is fun. Goes with #5.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:01 AM

513 posts, read 542,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
The telephone is social media.

Personal ads in the newspaper are social media.

Letters written and mailed are social media.

You just don't see it because those things are old hat and you're used to them. This isn't a thread about social media, it's a thread about new technology that you don't like because it's new technology.

And, no, people aren't going to 'get tired' of using recent technology to communicate.
People screaming at each other via FB/Twitter is hardly "communicating".

I certainly don't ever remember a phone conversation where the Hitler Ad Reductum was thrown at me because I dared had an individual thought that might diverge 1/10th of 1% from the zealous outrage du jour.

I know I'm a fuddy-duddy but quite frankly today - most people talk AT each other...not TO each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates