Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 05:00 PM

614 posts, read 173,215 times

Advertisements

It strikes me as odd that an equally profitable need wasn't what Edison went with to begin with. Even if he wanted to do the light bulb element more, the oven element could have facilitated that. The oven element alone would have been reason enough to build an electrical grid. And, it would not have taken so many failed attempts, as the light bulb element did, to get it to market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 05:46 PM

14,323 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Apparently people weren't having trouble cooking with their available gas, coal, and wood stoves. They were having trouble seeing at night.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
Houses were dark and gloomy. Candles and gas lights are prone to starting fires. Besides God never said "Let there be an oven". Edison knew a good thing when he saw it.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:44 PM

6,028 posts, read 3,745,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Apparently people weren't having trouble cooking with their available gas, coal, and wood stoves. They were having trouble seeing at night.
BINGO!

Old 03-05-2020, 08:53 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
Plus he was in serious competition with Tesla and others, so that probably lit a fire under his butt...

War of The Currents
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_currents

Old 03-06-2020, 05:41 AM

614 posts, read 173,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Plus he was in serious competition with Tesla and others, so that probably lit a fire under his butt...

War of The Currents
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_currents
Ah, but that's the reason why I ask the question. It would have been so much easier to develop the oven element first. All of the burnt out filaments that didn't work in the bulb were proof of that. Nobody thought of it because it was derivative. But the trial and error process may well have pointed it out, if they were listening. I'm really asking why even smart people can have blinders on sometimes.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:49 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am I a Prophet View Post
Ah, but that's the reason why I ask the question. It would have been so much easier to develop the oven element first. All of the burnt out filaments that didn't work in the bulb were proof of that. Nobody thought of it because it was derivative. But the trial and error process may well have pointed it out, if they were listening. I'm really asking why even smart people can have blinders on sometimes.
For starters, Edison did not invent the light bulb...

Old 03-06-2020, 05:59 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,477,856 times
Quote:
Well that one's easy to answer. It's part of being human. I've seen countless examples of intelligent people who use their intellect as a means of articulately justifying their preconceived notions rather than dispassionately challenging them. You're commingling two separate character traits.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:20 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
Quote:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$

Old 03-06-2020, 09:10 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,158,016 times
Quote:
Ah, but that's the reason why I ask the question. It would have been so much easier to develop the oven element first.
But you're speaking out of pure hindsight. If that's even true, no one could have known that. It's easy to come along over a century later and feel like you would have known better.

That's like saying "Why didn't Columbus just sail due east? Obviously that would have been easier." We're talking about what was then totally uncharted territory, in both examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates