Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 05:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Not sure I follow you here. There are about 60 separate vaccines under development around the world, many of them already in human testing. Seems pretty likely, if not guaranteed, that by next spring there will be at least one solid vaccine in distribution.

It's hard to imagine that pharma companies manufacturing it would charge a prohibitive price. The market is going to be in the billions of doses. If it's incredibly expensive to manufacture, the governments will just subsidize it.

I'm not holding my breath. I had read that every man, woman and child on the planet would take the AIDS vaccine when it was produced. Right. A Covid vaccine will not be affordable to most of the world. I don't even want to hazard a guess at what it will cost without insurance. Chances are very, very good it will be something you need to re-up yearly, or else. I'm that jaded about how Big Pharma operates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 05:50 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'm not holding my breath. I had read that every man, woman and child on the planet would take the AIDS vaccine when it was produced. Right. A Covid vaccine will not be affordable to most of the world. I don't even want to hazard a guess at what it will cost without insurance. Chances are very, very good it will be something you need to re-up yearly, or else. I'm that jaded about how Big Pharma operates.
I'm pretty sure it'll be like flu vaccines -- either free or a co-pay.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:34 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
The graph means little. As it says right at the top "limited testing yada yada ...". But, yes, Sweden's outlier response means that they will have a higher number of deaths in the short term than their neighbors. Let's see how it plays out over the next year!

Besides, that graph only compared Sweden with close geographic neighbors and none have the kind of natural disaster death tolls of Spain and Italy. Why should they respond like Italy and Spain HAD TO? And the mere fact that they have not, and do not have 10's of thousands of deaths says that they are more right than we know.

We do not know that SARS-CoV-2 will be a stable virus that can be killed year over year with the same vaccine formula. I have saved thousands over the years by choosing to go without an annual Flu vaccine. I know people who get it anyway, even after being vaccinated. People die from the Flu, not like Covid, but they do die. We overreacted. Covid is nasty, no question. Nasty, nasty, nasty. We should have been ready with treatment regimens. You and I have argued before over the ever present "OMG we need a vaccine" whenever spit happens. How about a CURE?

Vaccinating billions of healthy people for a disease that may kill a million? $$$$$$ That's why they say they can't cure HIV. The money is in dragging out a retroviral regimen for the rest of a suffers life at $50k/yr. It will take time to get a Covid vaccine that works, but not too well. It won't happen for awhile. They bought themselves 18 mo. even though they already have plenty of viral material to work with from SARS-Cov1 and MERS as well as SARS-Cov2.

As ever, it comes down to what WE do on the ground. Masks, social distancing, hygiene, etc. these things can and must be done while carrying on natural processes of life. We run the very real risk, if we haven't done it already, of racking up more deaths of healthy people than from actual Covid-19 cases. I'm hanged if I can understand how that makes sense.
Yes, Sweden and neighbors with similar demographics.

Vaccines do not "kill" viruses. They prime the body's immune system to deal with and eliminate an infection with the virus.

Where are you that you have "saved thousands" by not taking the flu vaccine? The vaccine costs about $25 without insurance. It would take 40 years to "save" $1000.

The reason there is no HIV vaccine is because it has been very difficult to make one that works. There is no "they say". No one is deliberately refusing to find a vaccine or a cure for HIV in order to drag out "a retroviral regimen for the rest of a suffers life at $50k/yr."

How do you know a SARS-CoV-19 vaccine will work "not too well? "

Research with SARS-CoV-1 and MERS certainly provides a foundation for producing a vaccine for SARS-CoV-2, but "viral material" from the earlier viruses not so much.

How could we "be ready with treatment regimens" for a disease that did not even exist?

There are few viruses that can be cured, with hepatitis C being a rather spectacular exception. Why isn't preventing any disease better than treating it?

Quote:
We do not know whether a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine will need to be repeated or, if so, how often, or what it would cost. There is no way for you to categorically state that it "will not be affordable to most of the world".

Old 04-14-2020, 08:32 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
And, like a miracle, the virus is starting to disappear. New cases are in decline, deaths are in decline, and hospitals have plenty of empty beds. Trump acted promptly, the country was prepared, and the emergency played out pretty much as he predicted. Sorry that's so hard for you to take.
The US coronavirus death toll reached 25,757 on Tuesday evening, an increase of 2,129 deaths today -- the highest number of fatalities in a single day.

Quote:
We didn't get to be the apex predators at the top of the food chain by hiding in caves from scary things. There are states out there ... countries out there ... that are NOT hiding. While we are watching our economy wither and die they are not letting that happen. Know what happens to the playground bully when he finally has the worst day of his life? It isn't pretty.

The U.S. has thrown its weight around the world for much too long to just stop now. Know why there isn't a cure for AIDS? Because it isn't hard to not get it. We now know how not to get Coronavirus. It isn't like Anthrax or Measles. Vaccine? Did we nationalize Big Pharma and not tell me? There isn't going to be a vaccine for CV until Big Pharma is assured that it will return and they can charge whatever they want for it! So don't hold your breaths. Just because a vaccine is developed does not mean you (or I) will be able to afford it.
A report on CNN tonight said a vaccine will be ready for healthcare workers next fall, and a vaccine for worldwide distribution should be ready next spring.

Quote:
It will probably be about as expensive as your polio vaccine. How much did you pay for that.

I got shingles and pneumonia vaccines back in February. Both were covered by my insurance with no co-pay.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
We do not know whether a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine will need to be repeated or, if so, how often, or what it would cost. There is no way for you to categorically state that it "will not be affordable to most of the world".
We don't know much, do we. But we know this thing KILLS right? We are all afraid to go out of door because this thing is the scariest thing to have ever hit in our lifetimes. Can we AGREE on that?! When and if there is a vaccine for this monster it will not be free or a $25 co-pay

Old 04-14-2020, 09:38 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I disagree. Our actions have been uneven at best. And we are sitting at 25K deaths. Latest estimates are 60k deaths.

The original projections were simply way off. There should be hearings and trials for those who destroyed our economy based on flawed predictions.
Prosecute people for listening to public health experts whose job is to warn about worst-case scenarios and when things were hardly allowed to play out naturally?

Let me guess - you are not an economist. NYC is a disaster area, which is closer than many of the other predictions, and with places like that idle, the global economy cannot do well. Some lines of work in some part of the country can be allowed to resume soon, but that probably wouldn't lift the economy much even if most customers came back, which they won't.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:25 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Someone made a timely mention of measles, focusing on its extreme contagiousness and I would argue that COVID-19 might be more effective at spreading through an unprotected population, but this is the news.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/millions-...122534563.html

First-world countries have struggled to wipe out infectious diseases for which there are vaccines, and add inept governments in less-developed parts of the world, and it feels unrealistic to expect problem solved as soon as a coronavirus vaccine is widely available.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:50 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Prosecute people for listening to public health experts whose job is to warn about worst-case scenarios and when things were hardly allowed to play out naturally?

Let me guess - you are not an economist. NYC is a disaster area, which is closer than many of the other predictions, and with places like that idle, the global economy cannot do well. Some lines of work in some part of the country can be allowed to resume soon, but that probably wouldn't lift the economy much even if most customers came back, which they won't.
This is what many people do not seem to understand...they could be right that some of these places that re open will do fantastic business, almost right away...but I dont think it will matter because of all the places that are shutdown or ended up closing for good...the economy is still going to collapse, no matter how a few businesses do that were allowed to re open.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:02 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
We don't know much, do we. But we know this thing KILLS right? We are all afraid to go out of door because this thing is the scariest thing to have ever hit in our lifetimes. Can we AGREE on that?! When and if there is a vaccine for this monster it will not be free or a $25 co-pay
Information is accumulating on this virus at an amazing rate and is being shared worldwide.

As of right now, here is what searching for COVID-19 brings up at Pubmed:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=COVID-19

At ClinicalTrials.gov, 524 studies:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?cond=COVID-19

590 studies, WHO:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/who_table

You know what? It takes time to do those studies. It appears to me that you think we can learn everything to know about this virus in a matter of days. Sorry, scary as it is, that is just not possible.

No one knows what the cost of the vaccine will be or what copays insurance will charge because there is no vaccine yet.

Yes, for some people it will be free. It just will need to be added to this list in this link(item 14):

"All Marketplace health plans and many other plans must cover the following list of preventive services without charging you a copayment or coinsurance. This is true even if you haven’t met your yearly deductible."

https://www.healthcare.gov/preventive-care-adults/

Vaccines for Children program:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/vfc/index.html

"The Vaccines For Children (VFC) program is a federally funded program that provides vaccines at no cost to children who might not otherwise be vaccinated because of inability to pay. CDC buys vaccines at a discount and distributes them to grantees—i.e., state health departments and certain local and territorial public health agencies—which in turn distribute them at no charge to those private physicians’ offices and public health clinics registered as VFC providers."

Then there is this:

https://iffim.org/news/iffim-stands-...id-19-vaccines

Old 04-15-2020, 12:37 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
I'll be curious to learn more information about whether someone who has had the virus develops lifelong immunity, or whether it's just something that makes you immune for a year or two. It needs to be like the "big" vaccines that just prevent you from having major symptoms altogether, rather than the flu shot, which is to many people an absolute joke. I'm not an anti-vaxxer or something, but I'm certainly not going to get a shot every year for a 20% to 75% chance of not getting the flu. If you can't guarantee I won't get the flu, it's not compelling to me at all. WAY too many side effects and hassles, between usually feeling under the weather for 24-48 hours, arm soreness and muscle soreness (thus no working out) for 3 days, driving somewhere specifically to get a flu shot, and the shot itself which as someone who has sparred many times, even competitive, I've been kicked in the head a fair number of times -- I'd rather be kicked in the head than get a shot. I HATE shots. If it's a shot for something truly worthwhile like rabbles or tetanus, then I'm still happy to do it anyway, but if it's for the flu? No thanks. I'll take the 1 flu I get every 10 years over 10 shots and 10-20 days of feeling crappy just from shots, when those 10 shots may not even prevent a single flu over ten years. Whatever vaccine they develop, it has to be better than that if they expect everyone to get the vaccine. Otherwise, too many people will just take a pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates