Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 10:42 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times

Advertisements

If you or one of your loved ones is in the 150,000 yes
empathy is achieved when events get personal

When the draft ended in 1973 Much changed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 11:13 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Which is what I stated:

"There have been cases where previously infected people appear get the virus again but it is unknown whether they truly cleared the virus and it is a reactivation."

You will note I based my posts on expert opinion; not anecdotal accounts. I wish posters would do the same.
Yeah I get you. I have 'sourcing fatigue' from continually sourcing with recent peer reviewed/pubMed links on other threads regarding viral interference with COVID, only to be countered with older, non-coronavirus related articles.

It gets old & after forcing my point & sources I received an infraction, lol.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:31 AM

609 posts, read 349,214 times
that's a clown question bro!!!

Old 04-15-2020, 11:39 AM

3,141 posts, read 1,595,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Yeah I get you. I have 'sourcing fatigue' from continually sourcing with recent peer reviewed/pubMed links on other threads regarding viral interference with COVID, only to be countered with older, non-coronavirus related articles.

It gets old & after forcing my point & sources I received an infraction, lol.
I understand but it gets tiresome for me when I take the time to provide researched articles based on expert opinion and then another poster challenges or questions it merely based on personal assumptions and anecdotal information.

I welcome challenges as I may learn something but only if it is based on expert opinion.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:57 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

The reason there is no HIV vaccine is because it has been very difficult to make one that works. There is no "they say". No one is deliberately refusing to find a vaccine or a cure for HIV in order to drag out "a retroviral regimen for the rest of a suffers life at $50k/yr."
My late aunt's funding for the goat lentivirus HIV vaccine was suddenly pulled in 2000 with no warning.

https://grantome.com/grant/NIH/R21-AI045396-01

Purely anecdotal as I have no links to support this but my aunt was furious over the defunding & she was not the only one of her colleagues to have experienced this.

Her vaccine could reverse the progression of HIV into full-blown AIDS. It would have made the huge money making HIV 'cocktail' irrelevant. I can't imagine one would be so naive think that politics & greed have not worked against our best interests when it comes to advances in medical science.

She died in 2001 from an extremely rare & fast-moving form of cancer, holding 14 patents for this vaccine. In October it finally was refunded for development. Ridiculous.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:25 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
What if what if what if. What if New York shut down sooner rather than later? Would the carnage have been less severe and not overwhelmed the heath care system? What if nothing was done to mitigate this and every state had their healthcare system overwhelmed? How much collateral damage would there be with normal business as usual traumas, heart attacks, strokes not having a hospital bed or ventilator because all are taken up with Covid patients? What if there was zero PPE left? Would health care workers walk off the job? How about grocery stores? Would there be a food shortage? Unmitigated Covid? Unimaginable.

What if our pandemic response model mirrored Singapore's? As of April 14 Singapore reported 1,300 cases, 1,287 people were hospitalized in stable condition with 28 in critical condition, and only 10 deaths. Over 600 people have recovered. Singapore reported its first case on January 23rd. When was our first case reported? January 21st. What was our response? Lie and deny. We are still growing exponentially. Unfortunately Singapore is seeing an upswing in new cases because of imported cases. They have since closed schools and non essential businesses along with a stay at home order. I think what we are seeing is that an early aggressive response is what's needed vs lying and denying, deflecting and blaming others while it spreads like wild fire. Singapore took this very seriously and had an early and aggressive response. I think it probably saved a lot of lives. Singapore has a population of about 6 million people. That's still very low numbers. It will be interesting to see how they handle their second wave.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:51 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
"early and aggressive response" is one of the few things that everyone should agree on, except maybe in large areas that have had hardly any infection (with testing random people to make sure) and are prepared to act fast if that changes.

Beyond that, be skeptical of leaders, health experts, and the media (who might not accurately report what experts say). Credentials are nice, but if someone has no past experience with viral epidemic, it's not much better than what smart members of the public say. Credentials don't make someone objective or right. There is very little rock-solid information about COVID-19. The world needs to learn as much as possible and use that to minimize damage being done.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:02 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
It's very telling that it's Conservatives, many who call themselves "pro-life", who are most willing to sacrifice the lives of others on the altar of greed, to safeguard their investments and bottom line. The hypocrisy couldn't be more brazen.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:07 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,130 times
Quote:
If U.S. coronavirus deaths total less than 150,000, will the extreme measures taken have been worth it?
What a horribly materialistic way to look at things... This is a 'novel' virus. There was no textbook or manual that could tell you what to do. There was no way to predict with fine tooth precision how much to spend or how many lives could be saved with x amount of dollars.

The truth is you do the best with what you have. When the president said he wanted to let the virus wash over the country so the economy wasn't interrupted, Dr Fauci stepped up and said that was wrong. He predicted people would die, but minimizing the death and sparing lives was priority. I think most Americans would feel some form of common ground with the good doctor.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I would rather take my chances with COVID. I just want the antibody tests available, as I am fairly certain that is what my oldest daughter came home sick from Italy with in January.

We all proceeded to get sick, all from the first girl in her group who was hospitalized in Italy with difficulty breathing & a fever. Nausea & sore throats. Dad was hospitalized after recovering from the cough, only to pass out at the gym a week later with volatile tachycardia.

Whatever it was, I can attest to it being an extremely painful virus & both flu & strep throat were ruled out. I would shop for you but I will never again vaccinate for you or the herd. I know what happens when things go wrong & the herd goes on about their lives leaving me with the devastation.

How many people who die from the flu are vaccinated against the flu? Why is the thought of a COVID vax even comforting?
Covid-19 maybe the flu in that it comes back year after year. That said, the flu vaccine is based around what is expected to be the common strain. We don't know if Covid-19 is a single virus or strains of of the Covid-19 with slight mutations. What I am thinking is that the flu is not forecasted right. I didn't have it this year unlike past years that I have worked with kids and I didn't catch the flu. Or if I did, I had a very mild case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates