Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 06:42 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
No, he didn’t say that. He called the democrats’ accusations a hoax. You need to do some fact checking and stop spouting nonsense. Even liberal CNN doesn’t agree with you and they can’t wait to make the most insanely ludicrous statements around. Almost everything CNN writes is flat out wrong no matter whether it’s an opinion piece or a news article.

The best way to handle this virus worldwide was to do absolutely nothing, besides maybe increasing production of PPEs and telling people to wash their hands a lot, just like any other flu. A particularly strong flu that has a 0.20% mortality rate give or take 0.1% and that spreads twice as fast as a flu IS cause for concern, but it isn’t cause for shutting down even a lemonade stand let alone a country or a world. The vast, vast majority of people dying from this are very old and / or have major health issues, just like any seasonal flu, so we could have simply protected those people most at risk and let the world go on with its business. The problem is nobody knew - the WHO report was so terrible with the 3.4% mortality rate estimate that ended up being laughably far off that now we are here in this reality where for whatever reasons I don’t know whether it’s political or just “I can’t change my mind now” pride, some people continue to want to deny every study published showing the low mortality rate and pretend we didn’t overreact. It’s ok, nobody knew any better, the data points are new, but as a result it does make it clear that no, nobody should have “done more” about anything. If we’re being honest here, everyone should have done less from republicans to democrats.
So far we have had 825,306 documented cases of coronavirus in this country and 45,075 deaths. Do the math. So, far that is about a 5% death rate. We have also lost 45,000 people as of today because of CV. By comparison, we lost 58,000 in the Vietnam War over a 15-20 year period and the national anguish is still being measured today. Those 45,000 people have all died in a period of about two months or less. And you think this is an overreaction.

This isn't the flu no matter how much some people would like to pretend that it is and ignore it. Influenza is much less fatal and is not as contagious.

Dr. Anthony Fauci is a little more knowledgeable on this subject than you are. He indicates that without social distancing that the average infected person will spread this disease to more than two other people. Its a very contagious disease. More so than the flu.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

I thank the Lord our leaders have more wisdom than you apparently do. Honestly, you would do a lot of people a favor by keeping your kind of ignorance to yourself. You want to try to rebut me, do so. But try quoting a reputable source (like I have). I'd love to see some of those studies you allude to that says CV has a "low mortality rate".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 09:39 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
So far we have had 825,306 documented cases of coronavirus in this country and 45,075 deaths. Do the math. So, far that is about a 5% death rate. We have also lost 45,000 people as of today because of CV. By comparison, we lost 58,000 in the Vietnam War over a 15-20 year period and the national anguish is still being measured today. Those 45,000 people have all died in a period of about two months or less. And you think this is an overreaction.

This isn't the flu no matter how much some people would like to pretend that it is and ignore it. Influenza is much less fatal and is not as contagious.

Dr. Anthony Fauci is a little more knowledgeable on this subject than you are. He indicates that without social distancing that the average infected person will spread this disease to more than two other people. Its a very contagious disease. More so than the flu.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

I thank the Lord our leaders have more wisdom than you apparently do. Honestly, you would do a lot of people a favor by keeping your kind of ignorance to yourself. You want to try to rebut me, do so. But try quoting a reputable source (like I have). I'd love to see some of those studies you allude to that says CV has a "low mortality rate".
Excellent post! I was going to reply to the OP, but you have already stated the facts here. The one thing I would add is the example of the meat packing plants. According to an article posted today in USA Today.

Quote:
More than 150 of America’s largest meat processing plants operate in counties where the rate of coronavirus infection is already among the nation’s highest, based on the media outlets’ analysis of slaughterhouse locations and county-level COVID-19 infection rates.
This is what happens without social distancing, testing, and quarantines. This could have been, and could end up being much worse before it is over.

Quote:
By the time it closed its doors on April 12, Smithfield’s Sioux Falls plant had more than 200 confirmed cases of COVID-19. In the days since then, the case count has swelled to nearly 900, including workers and those they’ve interacted with, making it the biggest single cluster of COVID-19 infections in the nation.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 04-22-2020 at 09:47 AM..

Old 04-22-2020, 10:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Lightbulb If U.S. coronavirus deaths total less than 150,000, will the extreme measures taken have been worth it?

The rational answer is yes, of course it's worth it.

As we all see, the lunatic fringe is up and barking about "re-opening" America in a "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" mode.

It's clear they're willing to gamble your health for their political agenda.

All of a sudden, they've become pro-choice too.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:56 AM

24,619 posts, read 9,449,501 times
No, 20 million unemployed and counting is never worth a 98% survival rate virus.

Many folks will come out of this financially devastated, divorced, victims of domestic and child abuse, have bad credit, unable to retire or buy a home, have massive debt, unable to provide for their kids or even sustain a decent quality of life.

We basically cut off a foot to fix an ingrown toe nail. And many jobs will be lost forever because of it. This lockdown set America back by many years.

You want to know how the richer get richer? Look no further than right now, millionaires and billionaires buying up cheap stock that will further increase their wealth when it bounces back while everyone else is celebrating over a stimulus check and unemployment benefits.

Old 04-22-2020, 01:02 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Sinking the economy?

The S&P is at 2800.

Last year on this day it was 2900.

I mean if you're gonna argue about destroying the economy, at least have an argument...

Old 04-22-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Sinking the economy?

The S&P is at 2800.

Last year on this day it was 2900.

I mean if you're gonna argue about destroying the economy, at least have an argument...
Not once did I use the term “sinking the economy.”

If you’re going to put words in my mouth, at least have some evidence for it.

But it’s alarmingly clear you rather ignore the 20 million unemployed.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Not once did I use the term “sinking the economy.”

If you’re going to put words in my mouth, at least have some evidence for it.

But it’s alarmingly clear you rather ignore the 20 million unemployed.
Then do something about it...

Give away masks or toilet paper and help people out.

If you need some, I've can send you some. You can argue or you can do...

Also, I don't even know who you are, I was just responding to the 1st post in the thread.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:04 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
No, he didn’t say that. He called the democrats’ accusations a hoax. You need to do some fact checking and stop spouting nonsense. Even liberal CNN doesn’t agree with you and they can’t wait to make the most insanely ludicrous statements around. Almost everything CNN writes is flat out wrong no matter whether it’s an opinion piece or a news article.

The best way to handle this virus worldwide was to do absolutely nothing, besides maybe increasing production of PPEs and telling people to wash their hands a lot, just like any other flu. A particularly strong flu that has a 0.20% mortality rate give or take 0.1% and that spreads twice as fast as a flu IS cause for concern, but it isn’t cause for shutting down even a lemonade stand let alone a country or a world. The vast, vast majority of people dying from this are very old and / or have major health issues, just like any seasonal flu, so we could have simply protected those people most at risk and let the world go on with its business. The problem is nobody knew - the WHO report was so terrible with the 3.4% mortality rate estimate that ended up being laughably far off that now we are here in this reality where for whatever reasons I don’t know whether it’s political or just “I can’t change my mind now” pride, some people continue to want to deny every study published showing the low mortality rate and pretend we didn’t overreact. It’s ok, nobody knew any better, the data points are new, but as a result it does make it clear that no, nobody should have “done more” about anything. If we’re being honest here, everyone should have done less from republicans to democrats.
Lost in a fantasy world where neither flu nor coronavirus don't cause serious lingering problems to more than a few people who survive it. Yeah, sure, just tell all the people with asthma, diabetes, lupus, etc. (maybe half of whom are undiagnosed) to quit their jobs and not go out to shop - no economic impact there. And the inevitable millions of people with not-terrible symptoms should do what during those weeks? Meanwhile, the virus continues to shut down facilities without the government ordering it.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Then do something about it...
I’m not a governor, but thanks for the tip.

And with your posts, thank God you aren’t one either.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I’m not a governor, but thanks for the tip.
I said I would help YOU.

I'm not here to argue with you and I don't even know who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates