Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 02:31 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
So far we have had 825,306 documented cases of coronavirus in this country and 45,075 deaths. Do the math. So, far that is about a 5% death rate. We have also lost 45,000 people as of today because of CV. By comparison, we lost 58,000 in the Vietnam War over a 15-20 year period and the national anguish is still being measured today. Those 45,000 people have all died in a period of about two months or less. And you think this is an overreaction.

This isn't the flu no matter how much some people would like to pretend that it is and ignore it. Influenza is much less fatal and is not as contagious.

Dr. Anthony Fauci is a little more knowledgeable on this subject than you are. He indicates that without social distancing that the average infected person will spread this disease to more than two other people. Its a very contagious disease. More so than the flu.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

I thank the Lord our leaders have more wisdom than you apparently do. Honestly, you would do a lot of people a favor by keeping your kind of ignorance to yourself. You want to try to rebut me, do so. But try quoting a reputable source (like I have). I'd love to see some of those studies you allude to that says CV has a "low mortality rate".
The numbers will always be high if you only use documented cases. They test the ones they think have it and the ones most likely to get it.

45,000 dead out of 330,000,000 are the numbers to use along with if deaths are dropping or going up by the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 06:40 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
The vast, vast majority of people dying from this are very old and / or have major health issues, just like any seasonal flu, so we could have simply protected those people most at risk and let the world go on with its business. The problem is nobody knew - the WHO report was so terrible with the 3.4% mortality rate estimate that ended up being laughably far off that now we are here in this reality where for whatever reasons I don’t know whether it’s political or just “I can’t change my mind now” pride, some people continue to want to deny every study published showing the low mortality rate and pretend we didn’t overreact. It’s ok, nobody knew any better, the data points are new, but as a result it does make it clear that no, nobody should have “done more” about anything. If we’re being honest here, everyone should have done less from republicans to democrats.
You totally nailed it; made my point better than I did. Now there are reports that 70% have had the disease and almost none ever knew it.

What destruction for absolutely nothing!

Old 04-22-2020, 07:35 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
What some people want to believe is incompatible with reality. 70% for example is completely false.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...-be-unreliable

Let's assume that less than 1% of people who get COVID-19 die. Let's also assume that more people than that get non-fatal serious symptoms. How the heck could society function if that adds up to even 2% of the population in a short time span? The healthcare system, for example, especially with the higher risk of that happening to workers in that industry. It's probably less than 2% of New York City residents, and the city is basically a disaster area.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:13 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You totally nailed it; made my point better than I did. Now there are reports that 70% have had the disease and almost none ever knew it.

What destruction for absolutely nothing!
When those "reports" become established science this may become worth talking about.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:23 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Its better to spread this out. I would think looking at Milan or New York absolutely proves it. If it means we lose 30% of GDP for 2-3 months, so be it.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:25 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
The best way to handle this virus worldwide was to do absolutely nothing, besides maybe increasing production of PPEs and telling people to wash their hands a lot, just like any other flu. A particularly strong flu that has a 0.20% mortality rate give or take 0.1% and that spreads twice as fast as a flu IS cause for concern, but it isn’t cause for shutting down even a lemonade stand let alone a country or a world. The vast, vast majority of people dying from this are very old and / or have major health issues, just like any seasonal flu, so we could have simply protected those people most at risk and let the world go on with its business.
This is 100% correct. We actually made the cure worse than the virus, and millions might die because of starvation.

Quote:
Famines of "biblical proportions" are becoming a serious risk as the coronavirus crisis threatens to double the number of people nearing starvation, a U.N. body has warned.

In projections released Tuesday, the UN's World Food Programme (WFP) predicted that the number of people facing "acute food insecurity" stood to rise to 265 million by the end of this year, up from 135 million in 2019.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/coro...-un-warns.html

This is a 98% survival rate virus that will STILL BE ACTIVE for atleast 1 year, and that’s if we even find a vaccine. Hello people this virus isn’t going anywhere. You either learn to live with it or you’re going to starve to death unemployed quarantined in your own home.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:27 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Sinking the economy?

The S&P is at 2800.

Last year on this day it was 2900.

I mean if you're gonna argue about destroying the economy, at least have an argument...
Look around the country right, heck, look at the entire world, how oil is crashing right now, unprecedented unemployment numbers and they are still rising, etc etc...and honestly tell me, you believe the stock market is GOING UP/staying the same?!!!!!! LOL

People CANNOT be this naive!

I guess the old saying is true...people WILL BELIEVE ANYTHING they hear on TV.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:14 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
This is 100% correct. We actually made the cure worse than the virus, and millions might die because of starvation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/coro...-un-warns.html

This is a 98% survival rate virus that will STILL BE ACTIVE for atleast 1 year, and that’s if we even find a vaccine. Hello people this virus isn’t going anywhere. You either learn to live with it or you’re going to starve to death unemployed quarantined in your own home.
People do not starve to death in the United States (the focus of this 'debate') due to lack of food on the shelves. The article was not suggesting that, either.

Correct that COVID-19 is not going away. There has never been a plan to continuously lock down an area for a year. Lockdowns are a delay tactic, so that - besides avoiding the utter havoc of millions of people symptomatic at the same time - health professionals can come up with better tactics for lessening transmission of the virus (including widespread, prompt testing and ultimately a vaccine) and minimizing harm to the people who become infected. Much of the economy will re-open by summer and many jobs will return.

Last edited by goodheathen; 04-23-2020 at 12:24 AM..

Old 04-23-2020, 05:26 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Look around the country right, heck, look at the entire world, how oil is crashing right now, unprecedented unemployment numbers and they are still rising, etc etc...and honestly tell me, you believe the stock market is GOING UP/staying the same?!!!!!! LOL

People CANNOT be this naive!

I guess the old saying is true...people WILL BELIEVE ANYTHING they hear on TV.
The stock market is a leading indicator. The market is forecasting a relatively prompt reopening of activity.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:44 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The stock market is a leading indicator. The market is forecasting a relatively prompt reopening of activity.
That is called 'keeping the public hopeful and under control'.

Have you seen how oil and gas are doing today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates