Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 06:57 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times

Advertisements

I am kind of admiring what it will do to the gene pool as I see people parading around in public like they are somehow immune, or believing that they have the jesus inoculation and are thus "protected".

A few less of these folks will be a boon to the future of the earth.

Not to mention the pollution issues, as already discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 07:40 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
You post reminds me of the story The Machine Stops - a science fiction short story by E. M. Forster, first published in November 1909. Someone's imagination more than 100 years ago are really happening. Sometimes, that person was like a prophecy.
It reminded me of an old Star Trek episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6P9tfiZ98k

Old 04-21-2020, 07:52 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
CV19 kills people, that aspect is not good for earth or anything. If everyone dies and pollution falls does it matter if no one is there to notice?

Social distancing reaction to CV19 to save the population from massive deaths has reduced driving and kept us home more. Is that good for the planet? Perhaps so. Can the economy survive this way for long? No. Is that good for the earth? No.

City dwellers made fun of any one who does not live in a high density 'perfect" in their view city. We were told there is nothing bad for earth about high density. So CV19 takes advantage of high density situations to expand and kill. Is that a good thing? Does it challenge the claim that high density is the only good solution for all? It does.
No, if every HUMAN was gone, there would be birds, bees, elk, fish, and a lot more species here to take notice. Regardless of how "important" we humans THINK we are, we are just a very small part of this huge planet, and yet, we have been the most destructive to the health of this planet of all the other species combined.

We ain't all that special. Maybe to ourselves, but every other animal on the planet could give a flying **** if we were gone tomorrow or not. They would actually flourish better, left to their own devices, as we would not be here to pollute and destroy this little place any longer. When we have rivers and lakes that are fire hazards, that should tell us something about our behavior.

If this virus doesn't eradicate human life, the next one may, or maybe some Nuclear war will be the final straw.

Last edited by don1945; 04-21-2020 at 08:07 AM..

Old 04-21-2020, 08:24 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
But that kinda mentality seems the same as Facebook users. If I didn’t post a picture of it, did it matter that it happened? Of course preventing pollution matters. It matters for the plants and animals and any remaining civilization. Or the future of civilization. It’s called not being selfish. Look at from an aliens perspective. Or a 3rd view. I’m not trying to argue but I think we are being disrespectful to our own habitat.
You assume civilization will be left? Big assumption and you have no idea what that will look like and if its good or bad. You are the selfish one demanding others wish for your false world of a well planet and a dead civilization You worship at the God of earth is our God nothing else matters. I do not accept your religion. You are just parroting what you were brainwashed to believe is turn.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:40 AM

17,300 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I don't think it will necessarily change conditions of the planet, but many small businesses have already taken such a big hit that they will not be coming back. Same with many of the big box stores (apparently this may be the final nail in the coffin for Macy's, Bed Bath and Beyond, and others); so at least in the intermediate-term, there will probably be a reduction in the crowds/etc seen from malls, restaurants, etc. at least for a little while. Sports and concerts (and maybe even restaurants) likely won't look the same until there is a vaccine (a year or more). It won't change the conditions of the planet in a large sense, but it will lead to some of the things the OP mentioned.
This perfectly sums it up.............

From an ecological standpoint:

Pollution is way down, less people moving around via ship/air/car etc. Less fossil fuels being used to the point it has had a crazy effect on the prices of oil.

Less waste in general- nobody is shopping in the malls/restaurants are not throwing out dumpsters of uneaten food. Think about how many bags/boxes one mall generates daily. Sure Amazon ships more product but I'd think the by product of retail sales is still way way down. Think of how much food one restaurant like Cheesecake factory throws away daily (customer waste, food that can't be sold any more (expired), etc.

Sports/Concerts- think of the amount of trash ONE game or concert generates. Think of how many thousands of gallons of gas get burned getting to/from the event/waiting in traffic lines etc. One event, now multiple that nightly X the events across the nation.

Now consider the bad:

Domestic violence is up (people are aggravated). Stress is up for people worried about jobs/money, surely crime will rise in the short term.

This will be the younger generations version of "the great depression" for sure. I think many business models are changed forever. Local paper has already done stories on local bars/restaurants not coming back. One was an Irish pub in business for over 30 years, owners are older and decided that it would be easier to close/retire than try to survive this. That business was an asset they could have sold in better times and they didn't even get to have one final "St Patrick's day" event this year. Corona likely cost them hundreds of thousands between lost revenue/lost business sale.

Local BMW/Porsche/Audi store laid off 190 employees. How many salesman/finance guys are living paycheck to paycheck and when is that business going to rebound? When sales return, how long before they are back to pre-corona paychecks? If a sales guy was making 100k a year, will he even make 40K this year? Several threads here on C/D with car buyers expecting crazy good deals so with those deals the sales guys will surely make less.

So sales guy making less, doesn't go to the mall/local bars restaurants to spend money.......trickle down trouble for everyone in the chain.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:56 AM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
So you’re saying since the Earth is polluted might as well just keep doing it?

Don't be obtuse for argument's sake. Of course that's not what I'm saying!

Isn’t the planet more important than people?

Obviously it is. The sooner the human race realizes it the better, but I'm not holding my breath. Screw up this ship too badly there's no where else to go. The self-centered human pattern is to ignore problems until they get slapped in the face on a personal level. Once a problem can no longer be ignored the finger-pointing starts and it is never pointed at themselves. Someone else must change/sacrifice in order to solve whatever it is.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-21-2020 at 11:25 AM..

Old 04-21-2020, 09:59 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I think in the end, there will still be a lot of unemployed people that were once deemed necessary employees.

Forced by self-distancing, businesses have figured out ways to get products to consumers without having to pay as many employees.

I just hope that Canadian and US businesses will boycott using China for manufacturing and production. I would gladly pay more for a product, rather than support China after their lack of transparency, lies and secrets.

Bring back manufacturing plants in OUR countries, rather than spend our money in China!
I agree that some, perhaps many, jobs will not come back. However, as long as there is pressure to contain costs and protect the environment, I think manufacturing will continue to gravitate to Asia, where costs are lower. I wish, without a lot of hope, that our meds could be made in N. America at the very least. But until the States reform medical care, I din’t see that happening. There is too much pressure to contain costs, and not enough management of high profit meds.

I don’t know the situation in Canada. Perhaps there is drug manufacturing going on there.

But even with cheaper manufacturing costs in Asia, I know that prices for many everyday items have risen. Soap, toothpaste, deodorant, vitamins, shampoo, have all increased in price rather dramatically in the last decade. Salaries have not necessarily risen in tandem, I don’t think. And our wants and expectations have risen, as well.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:01 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
So you’re saying since the Earth is polluted might as well just keep doing it?

Don't be obtuse for argument's sake. Of course that's not what I'm saying!

Isn’t the planet more important than people?

Obviously it is. The sooner the human race realizes it the better, but I'm not holding my breath. The selfish human pattern is to ignore problems until they get slapped in the face on a personal level. Once a problem can no longer be ignored the finger-pointing starts and it is never pointed at themselves. Someone else must change in order to solve whatever it is.
So, so true.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:10 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
So you’re saying since the Earth is polluted might as well just keep doing it? Isn’t the planet more important than people?

Maybe "V-ger" (from Star Trek - The Motion Picture) could take care of that for you.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:36 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,698,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No, if every HUMAN was gone, there would be birds, bees, elk, fish, and a lot more species here to take notice. Regardless of how "important" we humans THINK we are, we are just a very small part of this huge planet, and yet, we have been the most destructive to the health of this planet of all the other species combined.

We ain't all that special. Maybe to ourselves, but every other animal on the planet could give a flying **** if we were gone tomorrow or not. They would actually flourish better, left to their own devices, as we would not be here to pollute and destroy this little place any longer. When we have rivers and lakes that are fire hazards, that should tell us something about our behavior.

If this virus doesn't eradicate human life, the next one may, or maybe some Nuclear war will be the final straw.
Animals can't "take notice", they are not self-aware.

Nature is the most destructive thing to the "health of the planet" if you equate it to biodiversity and species survival. Natural processes (from epoch-scale climate change to instantaneous asteroid impacts) have caused more species to go extinct than ever existed in all of human history.

A single comet impact, or a tiny burp in the sun's nuclear processes, or a nearby Supernova, could sterilize the earth's surface of all life, in the blink of an eye, tomorrow. You are applying human concepts to an uncaring universe. When and if we are gone, the Earth might as well have not existed at all.

All life on this planet WILL be extinguished when the sun enters its red giant phase, in less than 5 billion years. Earth's ultimate destiny is a burned-out cinder orbiting a cold brown dwarf in a cosmic eyeblink. A few rivers catching fire, while we try to figure out how to build the machinery necessary to save ourselves and at least some plant/animal germ cells and memories of Earth, is a small price to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates