Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 09:11 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
And everyone can see the impact of not having cars , it sucks.
Paganism is a dead duck, we don't worship the earth.
It isn't God.
I'm not sure what you mean because people still have cars, it's just that they're not driving as much. As for paganism, I can't comment on that, but I do believe that the earth is our home, the only planet we've got, and we need to look out for its welfare as well as our own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 10:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Oh, I agree completely. The clean air won't last, but at least there is a small silver lining to this dark cloud. Also, I have been encouraged by all the many generous, kind and selfless acts that are being reported in the news these days.
Yeah. I do hope it sticks. I was brought up this way and work like that.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:55 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
All species living today, are the evolved descendants of those of the past. So not all species that are no longer here became extinct. Many of them just changed into later forms and into what exists today. Of course, many lines of species did hit a dead end and left no descendants, although they were related to other lines that did survive. Many branches of our human family ended, but they were cousins to those of us who remain today.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:46 AM

185 posts, read 96,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
There’s been evidence that pollution is reducing. Shouldn’t we take a step back and be objective? If this shows how we are trashing the planet then what good are humans to the planet? It’s an honest question. And isn’t social distancing nice for a change? Or for those that don’t go to a job now. Isn’t that nice? All I’m saying is why don’t we take a step back and look at the big picture?

What is so great about going out into civilization anyways? Even before this happened, most people were just on their phones anyways. Do you really miss the packed subways and the endless traffic? Didn’t that get old? I feel like we were living in The Matrix. What’s so great about that life?

Just please hear me out. Most people do not interact anymore outside the house. It’s a different time. And do you really need to go to concerts anymore? Or to basketball games? The best seat in the house is your living room and you can watch on a high def tv.

You have to look at the future and be honest. Self driving cars are coming. You think now jobs are becoming automated well what about 5, 10, or 15 years from now? Most jobs are not needed and money doesn’t exist in the way we think it does. It’s just a system. A flawed one and in the future we’ll have to come up with a better and more practical one. And this pandemic can occur again. We have to stop living in The Matrix. We are beginning to see things for what they are.

The world is quieter, more tranquil and peaceful. We don’t need the hectic lifestyle anymore. You just think you do. That’s the past. The world doesn’t need tons of people going to work and polluting the airs. You see how many people can work from home. Schools don’t need to reopen, we have the internet which is better. We don’t need people traveling to go on business trips. Use Zoom. In a few years we will think that going on a business trip is unthinkable and unnecessary. We won’t even have to travel for vacations due to Virtual reality. Oh yes.

In a few years, malls and movie theatres will be far and few between. They really aren’t needed. Many types of businesses are going to close. Remember before Facebook and smartphones? Life became different after and people adjusted and started to care more about likes than real life. And now with this pandemic we are entering a new way of life just like we did with smart phones and social media. And social media will become virtual so it feels like we are in the same room with other people.

Let me ask you. What is so great about socializing too closely and going out? Stay home is the new motto. It used to be stay drug free and don’t smoke. Now it’s stay home. Like you’ve heard, this is our new normal.

: smack:

Where do you get off with this? So just because YOU like the way things are, you think the rest of the world thinks the same? You think just because YOU like the way things are, that others don't need certain factors in life to thrive? Just because YOU like being home and introverted, that everyone else should do the same? No one likes being outside anymore? Hiking? Camping? Being in the outdoors with nature? No one likes getting together, in person, with their closest friends and family? Having PHYSICAL contact with each other?

You talk about living in the Matrix yet tell us to "Just watch High Def TV" and immerse ourselves in virtual reality to connect with the world and friends, live vicariously through it, without stepping out our living rooms, because "we're always on our phones anyway". THATS THE DEFINITION OF BEING IN THE MATRIX. NOTHING beats living life, then living life itself! I've traveled throughout the world and seen many things on TV inspired me to go visit those destinations,yes. Being at the Great Wall, Yosemite National Park, Harbin Ice festival, Redwood forest, Tokyo, Vegas, Adirondacks, Panda conservatory in Chengdu, China, riding the Shinkansen through Japan, riding the waves in California, hiking the many mountains throughout the states, camping under the clear, night skies in the middle of no where, away from society. In contrast, I've been able to be in the most bustling cities and metropolis, experience different foods, smells, cultures, people. Living vicariously through the TV and internet doesn't even hold a candle! Can't even come close! To the journey that is REAL life. Many of us desire in-person, face-to-face, physical relationships.

Believe me, I love my alone time and I am an introvert for the most part. However, I do appreciate having (the right) company with me, I do appreciate being able to socialize with people and have their (wanted) energy with and around me. I DO love people as much as I sometimes can't stand (or in rare cases) hate them. The fact is, we NEED people in this world to thrive and survive. VERY, VERY few of us can live a life of extreme isolation. Even isolated tribes have each other. ANIMALS live in tribes.

As for the Earth, yes, I believe in being good stewards of the Earth. I hate seeing pollution and when people aren't conscious of the environment that effects us and the other living beings. However, the notion and conceit to think that the world is relying on us is hilarious! We are on the Earths time, not the other way around. When the Earth goes, we go. If we all become eradicated the Earth will survive with whatever we throw at it and make it apart of its life form. WE'RE the ones who won't survive with too much pollution. We're not saving the planet, the planet doesn't need to be saved.

Again, you quarantine gestapo people are the worse. The new "Stay at home Nazis!", so ridiculous.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:20 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikari_Warrior_Danju View Post
Again, you quarantine gestapo people are the worse. The new "Stay at home Nazis!", so ridiculous.
I hope someone is willing to pay them to do nothing productive; I'm sure not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates