Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 10:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing people both on the conservative side of the spectrum and the middle complain that Universal Basic Income (UBI) would not work out. The fact is I see it works out far better than the unemployment stimulus. Unemployment has a large backlog in many states especially for those that submitted at the begining of the shutdowns. Then you have the various donut holes of unemployment. Also unemployment has three more months of federal funding and some states are running dry.

What is your reason why you do or do not like UBI? If not, how do you fix unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 10:55 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,218 times
For me, I dislike UBI because I feel that people should be self-sufficient.

I work so that I can put a roof over my head, food on my table and save something for when I am no longer able to work.

I don't want to be taxed on what I get paid for working to provide a "basic income" to someone who sits on their porch all day and watches everyone else work.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:08 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Where does the money come from? If my taxes go up due to a Universal basic income, how does this help me? I guess if you pay no taxes, it's a win for you. $1000/month X 330,000,000 = 330 billion a month x 12 = 4 trillion a year. Should be no problem.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post

I work so that I can put a roof over my head, food on my table and save something for when I am no longer able to work.

I don't want to be taxed on what I get paid for working to provide a "basic income" to someone who sits on their porch all day and watches everyone else work.
OK, if a person was laid off and cannot get money from unemployment of have not received their stimulus check yet, they are not self-sufficient. I am pretty sure a number of them are from small businesses got screwed with the PPP whether it was by insufficient funds or the fact that publicly traded companies and now they is no job to return to. What do you propose for these people?

Old 04-28-2020, 01:56 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post

Yeah, exactly! You shouldn't get money for nothing. You can work for yourself and make your own money, not mooch off the system like a worthless leech. It's pretty easy to understand -- you work, you make money, you pay your bills. If you don't work, you don't get money and you can figure it out real fast that you better have a plan for survival.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:07 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
For a society to function -- any society, from small "tribes" to the world -- everyone has to pull their own weight + a little bit more for growth. When half a society becomes dead weight for the other half to pull, you have half as many pulling twice as much. Society simply can't function under those conditions. In a society that was at survival conditions, you pulled your weight or you were left by the wayside. Our society has enough capacity above survival that many people don't see the impact of those not pulling their share of the load. But we've reached that tipping point where the impact can no longer be sustained. And that's the reaction you're seeing from so many people.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:31 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
The above posters answered it well.

Why should some people work so that others can do nothing and still live? Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

(Of course, I am talking about adults who CAN work, and I am excluding seniors who are retired!)

Old 04-28-2020, 08:33 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I keep seeing people both on the conservative side of the spectrum and the middle complain that Universal Basic Income (UBI) would not work out.?
I will never support this for one reason... I didn't get it.

I am close to retirement and I have worked hard my entire life. Suffering and scrimping and saving and worrying bout my job and health care.

And now, when i am about to retire and get social security and medicaid (my UBI) you want to institute this for the younger generation? NOT BLOODLY Likely.

Get off your couch and work like the rest of us had to.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:50 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
So far everyone is missing the point about UBI's original purpose. Trading your time and labor for money is a very old idea and it's worked well for centuries. Here's the problem: as automation and robotics become increasingly used, the world will produce all of the goods we need while not needing to hire very many people. In the future you could see 30% or even 50% unemployment as manual labor becomes obsolete. If large numbers of people don't have jobs, where will they get the money to buy the goods that the robots produce?

In the future the wealthy 1% and the large corporations will ask government to implement UBI, and they will happily pay taxes to pay for it. Several CEOs of large corporations already support the idea. UBI will happen when more of the wealthy elite realize that in order for them to continue to build wealth through sales, revenues and profits, money will have to put into the pockets of ordinary citizens. The rapid approval of the $1200 coronavirus helicopter money is a preview of what's to come.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:53 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
To me, UBI is the same as welfare for healthy, able bodied young men. That's a big turn-off.

Plus, if you hand out $1,000 every month (or name your own amount) then everything would get more expensive, plus you would have the added expense of administering the system.

The state of Alaska has something like UBI (fossil fuel royalty payments). Check out the prices of everyday goods up there some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates