Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 09:12 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenie66 View Post
I'm going to give a different perspective on wearing a mask. I was born with severe asthma. I have been on a ventilator at least 7 times as a child! Yes, because that was the only way to of been able to save my life! I remember what its like and I'm 54 now, to be on one! IT is totally NOT fun! Much easier to wear a mask then to wear a ventilator, also known as life support! It hurts like hel to be put on one, you cannot eat or drink! You cannot even talk!!! Imagine when you want to ask a question, guess what? You can"t! If your breathing bad enough that they need to put you on a ventilator its because without it, you will die!

I'm still an asthmatic, tho thankfully it under control. I do wear a mask when I go out. Everyone, please think about that, its much easier to wear the mask to save not only yourself, but everyone around you from having to wear life support!
The reality is that people still thinks that a few months this is all going away. I've been arguing and debating with people in NYC forum that is tired of being stuck indoors. They are pushing the mayor and governor to open things back up. Just when the lockdown is showing signs that it's working they want to end it and run out for the gym and bars.

We are only in the 2nd inning of this pandemic. This is going to be the norm the next 18 months or so, unfortunately I nor any expert can predict how this will turn out. The best case scenerio is that a vaccine is out by this time next year and we would need to bear with it until the end of 2021 when most of the population has their vaccine shot and will be able to return to work.

I think returning to work won't be fun either because a mask will still be mandatory even after vaccine is available until majority of the population is fully immunized.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:48 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Seatbelts are also uncomfortable and restricting, I HATE wearing it...but I do anyways.

I realize its to keep me safe in the event of a crash. Same deal with a mask really, I wonder how many of these people refuse to wear seat belts?
If there were no legal repercussions lots of people would choose not to wear seatbelts.

It did take the enactment of a law, getting pulled over, ticketed, court, fines, signs and cars with ding ding ding ding until we comply to condition us to wear them.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:14 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Then you know that my mask protects you, and your mask protects me.
That's the whole point - to protect others. None of us know with any shred of certainty that we're not infected. Anyone who's infected can pass the virus to someone else. This isn't rocket science; I'm dumbfounded that so many people are having trouble with this basic concept.
And I am absolutely dumbfounded that people still buy this obvious BS that still goes unquestioned!
Clearly it is evident that whatever the protection value it goes BOTH WAYS!
If they changed the silly narrative they might obtain 100% compliance.
And honestly, if I didn't think that I was benefiting by donning the mask I have, I would probably wear it less.
But unlike others, I ordered a very good, comfortable model over two months ago to protect ME and, by extension, my inner circle.
That others also may benefit is gravy.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:35 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not saying that anyone necessarily LIKES wearing masks. But my question is, why are some people making such a big stink about it? Why are some people calling it government overreach, and urging mass disobedience? Other than a bit of discomfort, why is it such a big deal with some people to be told to wear masks?
Your last sentence answers you own question. You aren't the boss of me.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:27 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

America has been spared of past famine, black plague, swine flu, and ebola. Maybe when the virus hits hard the next wave, people will put on the mask and shutup.
Yep, just be a good sheep and shut your mouth and do what you are told, don't question anything. I guess you also agree with taking off your shoes at the TSA checkpoints.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:24 PM

20,391 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
And I am absolutely dumbfounded that people still buy this obvious BS that still goes unquestioned!
Clearly it is evident that whatever the protection value it goes BOTH WAYS!
If they changed the silly narrative they might obtain 100% compliance.
And honestly, if I didn't think that I was benefiting by donning the mask I have, I would probably wear it less.
But unlike others, I ordered a very good, comfortable model over two months ago to protect ME and, by extension, my inner circle.
That others also may benefit is gravy.
One of the reasons I got to thinking and realized that if I'm wearing my mask & gloves:

1. I'm not touching my face.
2. I'm hurrying in and out of the store, not casually wandering or loitering about, because the PPE is uncomfortable, I want to get out of it as soon as I can.

Whether my mask actually shields me from ickies outside of it or not, it absolutely accomplishes those 2 things, which both do reduce my personal risk. If it helps, it helps. I think that it helps.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:34 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Your last sentence answers you own question. You aren't the boss of me.
Which has been said by every two-year-old. Ever.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:05 PM

832 posts, read 466,346 times
I would ask why such consternation about NOT wearing a mask? It seems many believe if you have a mask on you are 'protected' so wear a mask. If you don't care whether you are 'protected' and don't wear a mask, so what? So if you do care about not catching this virus but the mask is about protecting other people then why are you outside if your own mask can't protect you? And if your mask protects you then quit worrying about everyone who doesn't wear one. You're protected. When I wear one I have to re-breathe stale air my lungs just now tried to get rid of and I don't like that.

In fact I suspect if one were asymptomatic and wore one, the collecting of virus critters on the inside of his mask would increase his chances of becoming sick due to him re-breathing the critters. I'm happy to wear one if others ask me too and I keep my distance so that others aren't uncomfortable around me but I think wearing a mask when you aren't sick is a bad idea unless it is due to pollution or allergies or something like that where filtering out particulates is your goal. However, I would never think anyone who wears a mask or whatever is dumb or a sissy. Each of us has to do what is best for himself/herself and we should be considerate of others but sacrificing my own health by possibly re-breathing something I should'nt be... NO.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:17 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
I would ask why such consternation about NOT wearing a mask? It seems many believe if you have a mask on you are 'protected' so wear a mask. If you don't care whether you are 'protected' and don't wear a mask, so what? So if you do care about not catching this virus but the mask is about protecting other people then why are you outside if your own mask can't protect you? And if your mask protects you then quit worrying about everyone who doesn't wear one. You're protected. When I wear one I have to re-breathe stale air my lungs just now tried to get rid of and I don't like that.

In fact I suspect if one were asymptomatic and wore one, the collecting of virus critters on the inside of his mask would increase his chances of becoming sick due to him re-breathing the critters. I'm happy to wear one if others ask me too and I keep my distance so that others aren't uncomfortable around me but I think wearing a mask when you aren't sick is a bad idea unless it is due to pollution or allergies or something like that where filtering out particulates is your goal. However, I would never think anyone who wears a mask or whatever is dumb or a sissy. Each of us has to do what is best for himself/herself and we should be considerate of others but sacrificing my own health by possibly re-breathing something I should'nt be... NO.
I wonder if consistent, substantial evidence of science backs up the bolded part. I'm not trying to be argumentative on this. I'm wondering out of a curiosity as to whether the positives of wearing one outweigh the risk that you mention.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:28 PM

832 posts, read 466,346 times
I don't think I have read anything about this. Only that I can tell I'm breathing in the same hot air I just breathed out for a half a second. Plus the masks I've tried allow your breath to go out the sides and along-side your nose as well so there's that. At work we have to be fitted so I know how a mask should feel and work when properly donned. And the work masks don't seem like I'm re-breathing my own stale air. Actually they are OSHA approved respirators.
As an addendum I would say that if the purpose of me wearing a mask even if I don't show symptoms is to keep from passing it to others then it stands to reason the virus critters I am catching in my mask are available to re-concentrate in my lungs the next time I breathe in.

Last edited by amil23; 05-07-2020 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates