Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 09:31 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If you get any static for wearing a mask, just lift it and cough at them.
As a black individual, I cannot exercise such freedoms unless I want to be jumped, shot, and killed by police, jumped and killed by neighborhood vigilantes, called the n-word by white women, men, Hispanics and Asians, called a “hoodrat” by upper income blacks, and called ‘murderer’ by both lefties and righties.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:41 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The masks are uncomfortable and inconvenient. They cause my glasses to fog up. Don't like 'em one little bit.

But I wear one when I go out because this virus is a real threat to millions of fellow Americans and we're in this mess together.

Hard headed selfish types are free to behave like louts.

America sees you.

Yes.

The whole BUT I DON'T LIKE WEARING A MASK! foot-stomping is the quintessential first world problem.

I wonder if that crowd gets similarly hysterical when they see a "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" sign? Do they pull off their shirt and kick off their shoes and march right in? You know, to demonstrate how 'free' they are?

Old 05-13-2020, 09:55 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Yes.

The whole BUT I DON'T LIKE WEARING A MASK! foot-stomping is the quintessential first world problem.

I wonder if that crowd gets similarly hysterical when they see a "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" sign? Do they pull off their shirt and kick off their shoes and march right in? You know, to demonstrate how 'free' they are?
Perhaps they are the same folks that want all nude beaches?

Or perhaps the same folks who feel it is their right to pick and choose what they will do because it’s their right to do anything they please because they are not going out of their way to do anything they don’t have to. Goes round and round...

Old 05-13-2020, 10:30 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It might become a lot more common if masks were readily available. It's taken me weeks to find suitable masks.
This! Why are there still no masks in the stores? People have been buying home-made ones from online vendors. We're now 2-3 months into this crisis, but industry hasn't been able to step up production? What gives?!
Quote:
There is a lot of evidence that they DO help against transmission by dampening sneezes and coughs.
It's not just about sneezes and coughs. The mere act of breathing can spread the virus via exhaled droplets in the breath. That's why Austria saw a 90% drop in cases, after they mandated mask-wearing in public at all times.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:40 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
This is the video that I saw.

Again, the face coverings are not to 100% filter all viral particles in or out of the wearer. They are to simply reduce spread, catch droplets that carry concentrated amounts of virus load, and keep one's possible contagions from traveling too far from the human wearing the mask. They are still mostly effective in situations where others are around but combined with "social distancing"...not being right up close to other people. If everyone were wearing face coverings, AND staying at least several feet away from each other, AND washing hands after touching surfaces outside of their homes before touching their faces...then we could probably see a very sharp decrease of the spread.

Unfortunately one piece of logic that is required, to see the value in this, is believing in the fact that ANY of us, even you, could be an asymptomatic carrier and contagion vector. I think that many people are going to believe "I feel fine, so I am fine" rather than accepting this, although it has been known since the very beginning that it's not true.

Also obviously, humanity cannot and will not go on forever taking these precautions, but it buys the medical community time to find better solutions so that we can get back to normal life. That is the point of it. It's an interim solution that balances the need to conduct business, with the need to slow the spread and manage case load, and offers people ways to help protect themselves who may be vulnerable enough to likely die from the virus, yet who still have to get groceries and survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJvU81DKgk

Old 05-13-2020, 06:27 PM

1,665 posts, read 974,799 times
I don't wear it. It's not because I don't like being told what to do or making a statement. Not because of my political views either.

Ya know why? Doctors and the WHO say to and not to wear one. It's hard to follow something where they change things every so often.

Yet I do honor the social distancing. I respect others spaces. Don't shake hands or anything. Just keep to myself and my wife. Even flew into Seattle and Houston. No signs or symptoms.

I understand it's not about me. Just refer back to these professionals that can't agree on whether or not a mask will help.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
I don't wear it. It's not because I don't like being told what to do or making a statement. Not because of my political views either.

Ya know why? Doctors and the WHO say to and not to wear one. It's hard to follow something where they change things every so often.

Yet I do honor the social distancing. I respect others spaces. Don't shake hands or anything. Just keep to myself and my wife. Even flew into Seattle and Houston. No signs or symptoms.

I understand it's not about me. Just refer back to these professionals that can't agree on whether or not a mask will help.
Find a single professional that suggests that wearing a face covering does not assist in curbing the broadcasting of atomized virus particles.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Find a single professional that suggests that wearing a face covering does not assist in curbing the broadcasting of atomized virus particles.
Why don't you, since you're asking.

I mean, here's something for you...

https://www.businessinsider.com/who-...e-masks-2020-4

Here's another one for you...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...id-19-says-who

Did you miss this one?

https://thehill.com/changing-america...sk-can-protect

As I've said in last post, conflicting arguments about if a mask helps or not...

https://kutv.com/news/coronavirus/wh...d-19-infection

Who to believe? That is the ultimate question I think everyone should be asking. I don't mean to be anal about it at all.

It's like... Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:38 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Why don't you, since you're asking.

I mean, here's something for you...

https://www.businessinsider.com/who-...e-masks-2020-4

Here's another one for you...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...id-19-says-who

Did you miss this one?

https://thehill.com/changing-america...sk-can-protect

As I've said in last post, conflicting arguments about if a mask helps or not...

https://kutv.com/news/coronavirus/wh...d-19-infection

Who to believe? That is the ultimate question I think everyone should be asking. I don't mean to be anal about it at all.

It's like... Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Is there a reason you did all that but failed to produce what was asked for?

Old 05-13-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Is there a reason you did all that but failed to produce what was asked for?
Did you bother even reading any of it? I'm quite sure what you seek would be there. And the reason I did all of that is what I stated in my earlier post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates