Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2020, 02:24 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Give it up. People will believe what they want to believe, regardless of reality. They will go answer shopping until they find someone who says what they want to hear.

Everyone is responsible for their own safety. If they won't wear masks, all you can do is shun them. Don't do business with them, don't hire them, don't talk to them, don't stay near them. Their attitude is literally written on their faces.
Kind of like that numbnuts seen on News 12 today at some kind of rally for ignorance who, while unmasked, chased down a reporter and refused to keep his distance.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:39 PM

30,255 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Wait, wait... Where are you finding Clorox wipes?

We've got TP in the stores again, but not a Clorox wipe to be seen for like the last 2 months around here.

Look, I can appreciate all the things that you are doing, but I can also say that for most people, doing all of those things is going to be harder than wearing a mask. I do some of them, but nowhere near all of them.

And honestly at heart I think that a big part of the problem is this American notion that if everybody is doing a thing, then it's somehow virtuous to NOT do it, just to make a point. "I'm not a sheep, you're a sheep! Neener!" Whatever. In a situation where risk mitigation loses a lot of its effectiveness for every person who refuses to cooperate in a particular environment, the whole "if you're doing what most people think is sensible, then you've drank the Kool-Aid, fallen for the propaganda, you're a conformist sheep!" mindset becomes not so much a cute little disagreement of opinion, and more of a thing that can affect lives.

But by all means. You do you. However I definitely think that if a particular business's management makes the decision that on THEIR PRIVATE PROPERTY you follow that rule or you leave, then you should follow the damn rule, or leave. Take your dollars elsewhere. Do it in a spirit of protest, die mad about it, whatever you gotta do. FWIW? Even as a fairly progressive/liberal person, I supported the right of the bakers to not bake a gay wedding cake, too. Their business, their rules, even if they are stupid. If it's a matter of principle? That is a principle I believe in.

You can find Clorox Wipes easily, but you have to go to the right store, at the right time, and you have to know where to look - because they are not where they normally are.

I will say only this, because I'm not about to reveal everything and have hoarders coming in and ruining it for people: It's a well known chain. I would have PMed you the info, but then you started on with the stupid comments about PRIVATE PROPERTY, as if I had ever made a fuss about a store requiring masks. Nope. So, see, I could have helped you, but you chose to berate me over an action that I've never done - it wasn't warranted.

I'm not "making a point", I'm simply refusing to wear a mask, because of everything else that I already do. That does not mean, however, that I'm going to fall for bs propaganda about "you would do it you were a good citizen". It's my choice.

Further, I see people touching their masks all the time, readjusting, moving it off of their faces, moving it back up, and then they go and touch everything out there with the same hands. OR, the people with gloves on who don't take the stupid things off after they leave the store - what good are they if you don't remove them after you leave the store, or restaurant, or wherever it is that you went, and you get into your car, with those same gloves on, and manhandle your steering wheel the whole way home. People still aren't getting it.

I don't actually give a toss if someone wears a mask, unless they are alone in their car, then I think they're idiots because it cuts off how much oxygen you're getting. There was already a story about a lady in NJ getting into a crash because she passed out at the wheel due to wearing her mask in her car.

If a business says that I have to wear a mask to enter, I just don't patronize that business. I refused to go to Target for a few weeks when they said everyone had to wear a mask. No. So, I didn't go in there. There's other stores, no big deal.

So you blathering on about me taking my money elsewhere is pointed at the wrong person. I have NEVER said "I should be allowed to go wherever I want without a mask, how DARE that store tell me what to wear! I'm going to throw a fit right here in this store entryway." Not once. You're barking at the wrong person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
No one complained about all the other rules, including standing in line for 1 hour to enter Costco (in March-April) as a result of said pandemic rules. But require a face covering, and suddenly it's a loss of freedom. But they won't admit that they simply do not want to wear one.

I suppose the difference is that it's uncomfortable and they feel self conscious wearing one. But when everyone else is doing it, there's nothing to feel self conscious about. I just made one out of an old cotton shirt with rubberbands. It's not worth the money to buy better ones. This won't last forever.
Wrong. I don't care about stores, if they want to put up a policy, who cares, but I definitely have been calling it overreach by our governments since day 1. Because it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Pure, unadulterated hypocrisy with a bit of ignorance thrown in.

You claim you jump through all those hoops to keep yourself pure but refuse to do something as simple as wearing a mask to help keep your emissions from others even though you obviously see the need. Your claim of "propaganda" is nonsense, everything I've written is based on scientific facts. The only way your uncovered mouth is not spreading your microscopic detritus is if you're not breathing.

Your cat litter, Styrofoam and clothing practices may be important to you but have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

The "good citizen" comment was a direct quote from your last post. What you have put in quotes in response to my posting regarding "lazy pigs" is nothing I have said and I resent you using it as if it is. You need to clarify those are words of your own construct that have nothing to do with anything I've written.
I don't need to wear a mask to protect you. AGAIN, AS I'VE ALREADY SAID ON THIS VERY THREAD, I don't need a mask to "dampen" my sneezes and coughs. Unlike other pigs who apparently need constant reminders by the government, I already dampened my own sneezes and coughs by coughing into my sleeve, which covers my face when I do so. Because I'm not disgusting. I have never walked around sneezing and coughing with my mouth wide open spreading snot and spit all over the place, so, yet again, spare me your lectures. You wearing a mask, but still touching everything and spreading it from one object to the next, does not make you a "good citizen". As another poster said, it's just virtue signaling for some of you, and I'm thoroughly unimpressed.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:51 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't need to wear a mask to protect you. AGAIN, AS I'VE ALREADY SAID ON THIS VERY THREAD, I don't need a mask to "dampen" my sneezes and coughs. Unlike other pigs who apparently need constant reminders by the government, I already dampened my own sneezes and coughs by coughing into my sleeve, which covers my face when I do so. Because I'm not disgusting. I have never walked around sneezing and coughing with my mouth wide open spreading snot and spit all over the place, so, yet again, spare me your lectures. You wearing a mask, but still touching everything and spreading it from one object to the next, does not make you a "good citizen". As another poster said, it's just virtue signaling for some of you, and I'm thoroughly unimpressed.
If you refuse, in your selfishness, to wear a mask when in public, stop breathing!

Old 05-15-2020, 03:14 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't actually give a toss if someone wears a mask, unless they are alone in their car, then I think they're idiots because it cuts off how much oxygen you're getting. There was already a story about a lady in NJ getting into a crash because she passed out at the wheel due to wearing her mask in her car.
Can we clarify that the two accidents reported involve wearing the N95 for an excessive amount of time? This isn't your average Joe wearing a surgical or cloth mask out to run a few errands. The cops have already backtracked on claiming that people are passing out because of masks. They aren't doctors, they admit they are speculating about the masks because they don't see any other obvious reasons.
Quote:
All this being said, It is certainly possible that some other medical reason could've contributed to the driver passing out.”
https://www.foxnews.com/us/nj-police...t-crashing-car

Quote:
Police aren’t doctors and don’t know the medical history of everyone they encounter but “conduct accident scene investigations using training, experience and observations at the scene to determine a cause,“ the department said.
https://www.mcall.com/news/nation-wo...jhi-story.html

Old 05-15-2020, 03:20 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,990,676 times
Shifting gears from name-calling for a bit, at what point in time will it be deemed safe to go mask-less, give handshakes and hugs as greetings, sit next to someone on an airplane or at an adjacent table in a restaurant?

Old 05-15-2020, 03:32 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Shifting gears from name-calling for a bit, at what point in time will it be deemed safe to go mask-less, give handshakes and hugs as greetings, sit next to someone on an airplane or at an adjacent table in a restaurant?
Is that a rhetorical question or do you actually want opinions?

Old 05-15-2020, 03:42 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Geez, who knows? I've heard the masks may be with us for a while--maybe a few years. Hopefully not, but I'll wear them until whenever the powers that be says it's okay not too. I'm a healthcare worker, so I'm required to wear them at work for however many hours per shift it is, from 6 to 12 hrs (rarely 12, more like 8 to 10 hrs commonly, thank the Lord).

So it's not really a problem when people touch their masks to adjust them because the masks are pretty much solely to keep from transmitting stuff from your mouth/nose that may infect others. I saw some posts on here about people complaining about seeing people touch their masks like it was defeating the purpose of them, so I thought I would clarify. I'm sure there will be people who will still say that is incorrect, but what have you.

The way I get through the discomfort caused by the mask (since I get the impression there's two main reasons why people don't like them, 1--they're uncomfortable 2--some people don't like being told what to do especially when there doesn't seem to be a real phenomenal non-contestable difference between wearing them or not; I must say I think there is quite some room for debate as to the effectiveness of the masks). That being said, the way I get through the discomfort of it is to imagine the plethora of much, much worse things that can be happening to me rather than be forced to be hot and have minor difficultly breathing because of wearing a mask. Like for example being buried alive in a coffin. Well that would be much worse because at some point, I wouldn't be able to breath at all. At least, with the mask I can lift it a bit to get some air when needed (at opportune times, not when I'm talking to or close to someone).

Well, that's my thoughts on it. I realize not everyone will agree and will probably have issues with me lifting the mask to breathe, but that's the decision I've made in order to get through it.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:51 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,990,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Is that a rhetorical question or do you actually want opinions?
Not rhetorical. Curious what everyone's take is on this current "new normal" and when it will morph into a newer new normal.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
They're not proven effective. They are virtue-signaling.
There is more info all the time about the fact that they are effective—more than originally thought.

Wear a mask for your sake and for the sake of others.

Who gives a care about “virtue signaling?”

Talk about sheep-like behavior.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:56 PM

3,439 posts, read 2,414,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

In every large city in Asia, there hasn't been mandatory Wuhan style lockdown because the government knows that businesses depend on it. I know in America to allow businesses to reopen would be very challenging because the news story on 60mins tonight about Amazon is the reason we just can't open yet until people are acclimated with safety and taking precautions.

At Amazon, they now have face mask and distancing requirements. Yet some warehouses still have people not wearing them during lunch and breaks. How do you enforce this? Well, some people were let go or reprimanded.

I came back from supermarkets the other day still sees some workers wearing their masks 1/2 way letting their noses stick out. That is not how you wear protection. The nose, mouth, and throat are all connected.
1. your story about Amazon doesn't make any sense. If you're on a break or at lunch, you NEED to remove your mask in order to eat. I mean unless you're injecting your food or have some magickal ability to receive a pizza via osmosis.

2. In supermarkets they're off the clock, they aren't required to have their masks on, though their boss might request that they keep them half-on for appearances sake if they're still in uniform (as in - to and from their break, about to log in for the day, or about to log out for the day). In addition, they are encouraged to pull the mask up/down to breathe freely for a few moments, whenever they're feeling overwhelmed. Being a supermarket employee is astoundingly stressful these days, and it's not uncommon for a shopping carriage handler to need to not feel so confined for a few breaths, every hour or so. If they're making a habit of it, then they need further instruction. If you happen to just catch them at the wrong moment, just make sure you're 6 feet away from them or ask them to turn so you can pass them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates