Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 03:41 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
After reading these endless pages debating face masks, all I see is prejudice, intolerance, hatred, finger-pointing, selfishness, self-centeredness from mask wearers. There is no solid empirical evidence that masks even work to prevent transmittal or flatten the curve or however one wants to describe the use. At the beginning the word was masks were useless. Then only properly worn N95 masks would work. And now everyone is making their own masks out of fabric, socks, underwear, you-name-it.

Whatever happened to kindness and tolerance? Why is it a mask wearer feels that he/she can march into a public place and demand all non-mask wearers must get out of the way? Isn't that just as selfish as it is described for not wearing a mask? Why can't a mask wearer just walk around a non-mask wearer and continue on? Are mask wearers now a higher class of people and have more rights?

I have my own opinion about masks and it doesn't matter which side I'm sitting on ... it is just sad to me that Americans have formed decided camps on one side or the other with clear hatred for the opposing side. Yes certainly it is fine to have strong opinions, and Americans have the freedom to voice them.

It's a rabbit hole. What about in-public mask wearers who at home sans mask cough into their elbow and then head off to a store, don the mask, and proceed to use that coughed-into elbow to open a store door? Or using a gloved hand to open a store door, then touching many things in a store, maybe using the ungloved hand to pay with a credit or debit card that had been used in another device and slid into a pocket or wallet. There is no bottom to this rabbit hole.

I just think everyone should do what they feel is the best way to protect themselves and not be so self-centered to expect everyone else to protect you from them. There is so much hatred and unkindness. If there are shoppers without masks, go around them or leave.

Perhaps so many people are having such a difficult time in this upside down world that the focus on masks is a coping mechanism.
Great post. Well said.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:47 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I also see a lot of folks who say don't trust WHO or Dr Fauci. So which is it?

There is a lot of evidence that they DO help against transmission by dampening sneezes and coughs.
This exactly!

Old 05-11-2020, 05:22 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Because they're not comfortable... I almost feel like I'm suffocating when I wear one..

Me too. Also not that healthy for us. Breeds bacteria... I feel like I am suffocating and just too darn hot.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:25 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,950 times
I am closing in on 67 yrs old in a couple of months and I am also HIGH RISK. I still hate the masks. I'll wear it if I have to go into the lab to have blood drawn now but I do not go to crowded places nor do I go to grocery store. My opinion.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:35 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Just so you know, I purposely didn't say if I wore a mask or not. You might be surprised with my answer. That wasn't my point. My point is the attitudes prevailing. I have witnessed shoppers yelling at other shoppers, complete with name-calling, and one instance when I truly thought a fist-fight was going to happen.
Yes, I do know you didn't say if you wear a mask. But you seemed to be defending people's choice to not wear them. Yelling and name-calling wouldn't be my M.O., but if people are violating store or state requirements, they do deserve to be called out (preferably by store mgmt or security). If unmasked people are in a store that does not require masks, then pro-mask people need to either keep their thoughts to themselves or shop elsewhere. Maybe that is the kind of situation you were primarily thinking of.

Here the vast majority of people are following current governor orders to wear masks, so it's hard for me to even envision people walking through stores without them. Do you live somewhere masks are optional?

Old 05-11-2020, 06:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
After reading these endless pages debating face masks, all I see is prejudice, intolerance, hatred, finger-pointing, selfishness, self-centeredness from mask wearers. There is no solid empirical evidence that masks even work to prevent transmittal or flatten the curve or however one wants to describe the use. At the beginning the word was masks were useless. Then only properly worn N95 masks would work. And now everyone is making their own masks out of fabric, socks, underwear, you-name-it.

Whatever happened to kindness and tolerance? Why is it a mask wearer feels that he/she can march into a public place and demand all non-mask wearers must get out of the way? Isn't that just as selfish as it is described for not wearing a mask? Why can't a mask wearer just walk around a non-mask wearer and continue on? Are mask wearers now a higher class of people and have more rights?

I have my own opinion about masks and it doesn't matter which side I'm sitting on ... it is just sad to me that Americans have formed decided camps on one side or the other with clear hatred for the opposing side. Yes certainly it is fine to have strong opinions, and Americans have the freedom to voice them.

It's a rabbit hole. What about in-public mask wearers who at home sans mask cough into their elbow and then head off to a store, don the mask, and proceed to use that coughed-into elbow to open a store door? Or using a gloved hand to open a store door, then touching many things in a store, maybe using the ungloved hand to pay with a credit or debit card that had been used in another device and slid into a pocket or wallet. There is no bottom to this rabbit hole.

I just think everyone should do what they feel is the best way to protect themselves and not be so self-centered to expect everyone else to protect you from them. There is so much hatred and unkindness. If there are shoppers without masks, go around them or leave.

Perhaps so many people are having such a difficult time in this upside down world that the focus on masks is a coping mechanism.

I was shaking my head as I read your post and then I got to the sentence I bolded. You clearly do not understand why it is necessary to wear a mask, and what is necessary to fight this pandemic. If people don't wear a mask, they are potentially exposing other people to a virus that could kill them. My wife is immunocompromised due to cancer. There are many people like her who you might be in a grocery store the same time as you. You may have been exposed to someone who is asymptomatic and are now contagious. Doe it bother you that you could cause a death or multiple deaths? Think I'm overreacting? The families of the 80K dead people don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Me too. Also not that healthy for us. Breeds bacteria... I feel like I am suffocating and just too darn hot.

Is there a chance this could be your imagination? Lots of people were masks and N-95 respirators for hours at a time.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:49 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I was shaking my head as I read your post and then I got to the sentence I bolded. You clearly do not understand why it is necessary to wear a mask, and what is necessary to fight this pandemic. If people don't wear a mask, they are potentially exposing other people to a virus that could kill them. My wife is immunocompromised due to cancer. There are many people like her who you might be in a grocery store the same time as you. You may have been exposed to someone who is asymptomatic and are now contagious. Doe it bother you that you could cause a death or multiple deaths? Think I'm overreacting? The families of the 80K dead people don't.
Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:56 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:

A hundred years of solid medical practice proves masks are effective. Do you believe trained medical professionals would abide the nuisance if they weren't?

Mask wearers believe they have the right to demand others wear them because they have, science, common sense and the law on their sides. That trumps selfishness. While I'm walking around you, your spittle is on my can of corn, box of pasta, loaf of bread and package of chicken as well as the air the rest of us may breathe through imperfect face coverings. Mask wearers are superior people in knowledge, abiding by the law and respect for others' rights.

Do you not understand that your refusal to wear a mask can be dangerous to others or do you simply not care?

Old 05-11-2020, 10:29 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Train yourself to breathe deeply. If you take shallow breaths, most of your next breath is what you exhaled. If you take deep breaths, you will inhale mostly fresh air. Like any tool, you have to learn to use a mask right, or you will screw up.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:45 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Me) My Freedom, My Rights, You can’t tell me what to do
Boss) Hitman get you $$$ off the internet and back to work.
Me) yes Boss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates