Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2020, 06:05 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I’ve taken dumps larger than South Korea after a big buffet. Of course they don’t have any Detroits, the whole country is the size of my swimming pool! Lol I’m teasing but yes South Korea is incredibly safe, almost no crime besides organized crime, and organized crime there has honor - they don’t touch children, for instance. I have a few black belts in Korean martial arts, so I really like aspects of Korean culture actually. It’s just I personally consider the standard of living poor in Europe and much of Asia. I don’t want to live in a small box where they don’t have dishwashers in many places, where the washer is in the kitchen, and there’s simply nowhere near enough space. I like a LOT of interior space and I use it all from home gym to gaming room to office to bedroom to living room, etc. I have lived in tons of small apartments and small condos, somewhere around 8-10 I can’t even remember, but that for me isn’t the good life. It’s a depressing stage you go through on the way to a nice big house. Any country without that being a regular thing that’s possible doesn’t have a high standard of living - I don’t care what their education level is or their healthcare or anything else. Here, with money I can get THE best healthcare in the world and I’m already educated. Statistics don’t define quality of living for me, that’s how liberals look at things I realize.

I judge a country by the top - what do the top 10% or so live like. I don’t judge it by how the bottom survives and I think that’s a pretty sad way to judge anything. Well gee if everyone doesn’t have healthcare, that country sucks. Umm, no, if I can get the best healthcare in the world here because it is the best if you have money, then it’s the best generally speaking too. Judging by the masses isn’t how I consider things.
This post started with "I've taken dumps...." and went downhill from there.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:30 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
We will treat this like we did as kids with chicken pox. When someone we know gets infected, we will go over to get it over with and move on with our lives. Not really, but you cant live in fear for a virus that has a 99.6% recover rate. This is not "the new normal" unless you make it that way.

We were concerned at first and took the necessary precautions until we realized there were too many inconsistencies, to many agendas, too many of the wrong people benefitting from this, too much media hype with incorrect information and stories that did not correlate from what anyone we know around the country was experiencing. Life is normal here.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:14 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
It’s kind of odd. Some of the far right groups like the ones occupying the Michigan state house with firearms were wearing masks. I’m guessing that if it came to wearing masks due to the pandemic they would throw a fit and feel their constitutional rights were abridged.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:41 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,794 times
It seems that people are still not seeing it as if wearing a mask is to "protect others from themselves", but rather thinking of themselves staying alive and everyone is else is suspect or the enemy.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not saying that anyone necessarily LIKES wearing masks. But my question is, why are some people making such a big stink about it? Why are some people calling it government overreach, and urging mass disobedience? Other than a bit of discomfort, why is it such a big deal with some people to be told to wear masks?
because they know it's all bullsheeet!..have you seen how they're hanging off peoples faces half the time?..

Old 06-13-2020, 03:27 PM

995 posts, read 509,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not saying that anyone necessarily LIKES wearing masks. But my question is, why are some people making such a big stink about it? Why are some people calling it government overreach, and urging mass disobedience? Other than a bit of discomfort, why is it such a big deal with some people to be told to wear masks?
That's the issue - it's no "small discomfort" for me. I get panicky in them, especially after more than a few minutes. A quick in-and-out at the local Aldi is about all I can manage. In heat, I won't even attempt that.

I'd not make a stink (unless someone accosts me in a store, which certainly hasn't happened yet), but everyone else sure seems to stink things up with this wearing the mask thing. My fb feed has been thinned out rather dramatically in the past few weeks, lol.

The US is supposed to be "take care your ownself" kind of country. What is it about a pandemic we're suddenly supposed to take care of everyone else's health?

This is something that I find truly bizarre, as if I've stepped into some weird timeline that doesn't make any sense. The way some people act about this topic puzzles me to no end. Makes me wonder what's gonna become of people after all of this is over. Maybe there's more than one virus going around ...

Old 06-13-2020, 04:07 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
The US is supposed to be "take care your ownself" kind of country. What is it about a pandemic we're suddenly supposed to take care of everyone else's health?

This is something that I find truly bizarre, as if I've stepped into some weird timeline that doesn't make any sense. The way some people act about this topic puzzles me to no end. Makes me wonder what's gonna become of people after all of this is over. Maybe there's more than one virus going around ...
With a nod to our conspiratorial friends, there seems to be a societal shift, away from a swashbuckling unrelenting individualism, towards an "it takes a village" mentality. The virus, and response thereto, is regarded as being a powerful illustration, of the dangers of rampant individualism, and the benefits of a more communal mindset.

My feeling on the matter has been colored by the realization, that how society responds to a healthcare crisis, ought to have correlation with how it handles its healthcare. If the US had a "national healthcare system", such as the British NHS, then there would be merit in preserving that system, even at broadbased cost to the economy. And if everyone has an inherent right to healthcare, regardless of means to pay, then everyone has a collective responsibility to take precautions, to minimize odds of catastrophic illness, and thus catastrophic cost.

But in a private healthcare system, the preservation and vitality of such a system isn't really a public-good anymore. It's just another business, that's supposed to fend for itself. And because access to healthcare is ultimately conditional on having the means to pay, the average individual has no particular civic responsibility to hold up the bargain, or doing what's reasonable, to avoid having to use the healthcare system.

So in Europe, shutdowns, or mass enforcement of mask-wearing, is a collective burden imposed to sustain a collective benefit. But in America, we get the collective burden just the same, though without the collective benefit.

TLDR version: want people to keep wearing masks? Then offer free healthcare. What to keep the healthcare system private? Then quit carping about mask-wearing... and don't even think about a second shutdown!

Old 06-20-2020, 10:28 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
I get the concern that we can't shut down our society indefinitely over coronavirus. But I don't get the opposition to wearing a mask in public. It seems like a reasonable middle ground to help prevent spread until a vaccine is found.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:42 PM

18,467 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I get the concern that we can't shut down our society indefinitely over coronavirus. But I don't get the opposition to wearing a mask in public. It seems like a reasonable middle ground to help prevent spread until a vaccine is found.

because it really, to me, is very un-comfortable. I dont like any hot breath in my face, hate anyone near my face, dont like the warmth of my own breath in my face, I just dont like it at all.
The mask steam glasses, slide down when talking. I take it off and on, I know it isnt helping, other than looking the part.

I always have bad allergies, stuffy nose and the thought of anything blocking my mouth, does not comfort or console me, so I try to stay away from large groups of people, which Id notmally do anyway.

so that is my oposisition to wearing a mask.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:26 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Because they're not comfortable... I almost feel like I'm suffocating when I wear one..
Neither is being on a ventilator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates