Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 02:49 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post
Well, adult thought does frighten the kindergarten ideologue.....

2017...sheesh...you folk really need to do a little research...120k dead here in the US over 3 months.

If y'all are THAT frightened of your own shadow - either:

1) stay inside
2) self-euthanize

If you can't deal w/ that - too bad - the world is a mean place.
Where is your research coming from Charley? Your number is 50-100% higher than the CDC has published for the entire 2017-18 flu season - numbers already surpassed in ten weeks by the still very active COVID-19.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:30 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I have a question for those who won't wear a mask because of the discomfort- would you wear a face shield in place of the mask? (It's being discussed at my workplace)
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2765525
I recently went through a drive-thru where the restaurant employee was wearing one.

For those who wonder about sneezing inside the shield, a mask can be worn under it. Many surgeons use the combination.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:39 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Practical problems with this. Will glasses fit under it? Will it fog up as glasses do wearing a mask?

Weather. Summers in parts of the country where heat indexes can reach 100 degrees plus. These are going to get VERY HOT outdoors. Sweat can run into your eyes and sting. How do you wipe your eyes? Rain? Do they come with windshield wipers? lol

You cannot compare it to doctors and nurses, or restaurant employees, working indoors in a controlled temperature environment.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:15 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
People are protesting b/c this has happened before, and we did nothing.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html
So they feel it is an Orwellian agenda during an election year.

And they are correct, because we have given up too much control; and become dependent on government.
Of which I can assure you will be helpless in the face of a real pandemic; which this is far from.
This is why Americans should be independent, and value their freedom; as their lives could very well depend on it in the near future.
400,000 Americans alone died in WW2 alone fighting 2 authoritarian governments, as you so aptly describe current Asian governments.

With this in mind, it's selfish to keep using the term.
Problem is, the people who are protesting "our freedoms", who get sick, are going to be the same people in a hospital bed, demanding they get treated. Can't have it both ways when we're trying to prevent the hospital systems and staff from being overwhelmed. And yes, many of the staff are overworked and dare not go home, for fear of infecting loved ones at home.
Also, an organized government has been excellent at dealing with crisis situations. It's hard to think that given our current administration REALLY bungled the preparation and leadership.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:05 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
Default Q: Why is there such consternation about wearing masks?

Oh, I think it's pretty clear.

Quote:
What Are the Symptoms of Oppositional Defiant Disorder?

Symptoms of ODD may include:

*Throwing repeated temper tantrums

*Excessively arguing with adults, especially those with authority

*Actively refusing to comply with requests and rules

*Deliberately trying to annoy or upset others, or being easily annoyed by others

*Blaming others for your mistakes

*Having frequent outbursts of anger and resentment

*Being spiteful and seeking revenge

*Swearing or using obscene language

*Saying mean and hateful things when upset
https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/...ant-disorder#1

Old 05-22-2020, 06:53 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times
The President of the free World doesn't wear it
why should I?

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/ar...s-15287448.php

Old 05-22-2020, 07:06 AM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post

...120k dead here in the US over 3 months.
On average, about 720,000 people will die in 3 months in the United States...

So I'd be curious to see how exactly these numbers factor in with "covid-19 related" deaths so far.

If anyone's done the math, that would be great, lol. If the numbers were available to actually do the math, that would be great too.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:00 AM

274 posts, read 174,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
What sane person would ever argue that South Korea is a better place to live?! I’ve been there, for almost two weeks in fact, and almost everyone lives in tiny little boxes unfit for a single person. A family of 4 in a 900 square foot apartment, despite the dad having a great job at General Motors - that was my home stay family. Absolutely godawful food, there’s a reason why there aren’t any major Korean food chains. They have one edible food item and that’s beef bulgogi. Besides that it’s nasty Kimchi, of which they’re so proud there are 200 types. It’s 200 too many if you ask me. They also have no concept of the idea of breakfast. It’s completely lost on them. You’ll get spicy chicken (which was, to be fair, good the first time) at dinner, then again for breakfast, again for dinner, and again for breakfast the 4th time in a row as if that isn’t weird at all. The best thing about South Korea is the fact they point and laugh at fat people and mercilessly shame anyone who is even pudgy, which is something that should be brought back to this country since it’s obviously working quite well there - almost nobody is overweight. Then again, maybe I’m ignoring the real cause of that - the horrid food and apparent lack of income, which I can only assume by the low standard of living.

The best thing to come out of Korea is my wife’s mom, because her daughter is the best. I love Koreans. I don’t love Korea, though, I was lucky to survive that trip.
I mean it has a higher life expectancy, higher education, much less crime than America. You wanna see low standard of living? go to any inner city in America, you will see third world conditions.
Quality of life in South Korea vs America is arguably better for the South Koreans. Especially when it comes to gang culture, every South Korean able male serves in the military, which creates a certain discipline among the population.
From stats South Korea is the better place to live, but it might be different when it comes down to the social problems of each country, or things you can't see in stats.

The crime in Korea isn't that bad anymore, and much higher than USA, or even Canada. This is because their cultural outreach won't allow crime to become a norm over there. Poverty is real in Korea, but it's crime remains relatively low. They don't have any Detroit's or any cities that were literally swallowed up and by poverty and crime.

The only way the US is better (In my opinion) is pure opportunity, as the US has much more of that, because their population is 6/1 of the Koreans, and they're the economic powerhouse of the world.
And the food for some people, seeing as it's america, a huge country with a lot of food.

By the way, to Koreans It isn't "horrid" food. It's their culture, why would they be eating like Americans when they've been eating what they're eating for generations. It's what they choose to eat, you're mistaking poverty with cultural customs. If they didn't enjoy the food they wouldn't have it everyday.
I actually love Korean Food also, don't know it might just be an acquired taste

Old 05-22-2020, 08:17 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I'd like to answer, but I will admit I have not read the many pages of responses. Anyway, . . .

1. Some people cannot breathe well enough through masks. That group includes me. Therefore I do not wear a mask. However, I also do not make a big stink. (Yet.)

2. Normalizing mask-wearing will be detrimental to our immune systems long-term - especially having children wear them. We need exposure to the bad stuff so that our immune systems can grow strong.

3. People see that they are being told to wear masks at a time when the virus is on the downside. People in areas where there have been few cases, and sometimes no deaths, are being advised to wear masks. This is ridiculous. So, whether or not wearing the mask is torture, to be told to wear one when there is no reason is objectionable.

4. People object to mask-wearing because having everyone go around in masks adds to an atmosphere of fear.

5. Some people are still under the impression that masks are to protect the wearer. They know that the mask will not protect the wearer, but for some reason they have not yet heard that the mask is to protect other people.

6. People do not like being lied to. The CDC was saying "Don't wear masks, don't wear masks, don't wear masks." The real reason may have been to make sure enough masks were available for medical personnel, but that was not given as the only reason. We were told that there was no reason to be wearing cloth masks, either. The message was very clear: No masks. Then, all of a sudden, one day it changed from "No masks" to "Masks." So either Fauci and the CDC were lying before, or they're lying now, or they doesn't know what they're talking about. Any of those means loss of credibility.
People need exposure to bad stuff to enhance the immune system? Okay, well since all these masks are actually not doing much in restricting bad stuff, what’s that problem?

The real issue here is that people just don’t want being told what to do but want their rights to tell others what to do.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:36 AM

274 posts, read 174,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
People need exposure to bad stuff to enhance the immune system? Okay, well since all these masks are actually not doing much in restricting bad stuff, what’s that problem?

The real issue here is that people just don’t want being told what to do but want their rights to tell others what to do.
Masks are used to protect yourself. Masks are used to prevent yourself from infecting others. It's thought around half of the people with covid in the world are asymptomatic, that's the reason to wear masks, we can all try and contain the spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates