Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2020, 06:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yes, they do. Speaking personally and on behalf of my co-workers who do a five hour stretch without removing the masks, take a 30 minute lunch and then finish our shifts without removing the mask again. It's not at all uncommon.
A challenge to you, find a legitimate report of someone dying from wearing a simple mask of cloth or paper, no underlying health conditions, or extreme conditions such as exercising while wearing the mask.

And this isn't POC, can we stop with the name calling?
Exercising in a mask makes them easier to wear. I have put in a lot of 8 hour days doing asbestos abatement wearing a HEPA filtered mask. Standing around is the hard part. Once you work up a sweat and start breathing deeply, you hardly notice a mask. Oh yeah, we got hosed down every time we left negative air flow to go to the can or took a break.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:01 PM

64 posts, read 61,815 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Old 05-17-2020, 08:22 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
No, it isn’t. Can’t breathe means just that - literally cannot breathe. I’m glad you can, like I said, but don’t pull that card on me until you can do everything I can do, too. Can you bench press 275? Why not? Are you sure you’re just not maybe trying hard enough? I mean I can do it. Surely it’s reasonable to expect an adult human to be able to do that? I don’t get it, you’re just being selfish. So if you could save a child and all you had to do was throw up 275 on the bench, you’d just selfishly tell me you simply can’t do it? That seems crazy to me, I have no issues with that. Are you sure your version of “can’t lift this weight” is the same as mine? It just seems suspicious to me.

Do you see how stupid that sounds now? No amount of trying or wanting to breathe is going to make that happen, sorry to tell you. I’m glad that other people can wear them, I’ve talked to quite a few who can’t. To say that it’s acceptable to put on a mask and be dry heaving, gagging, and unable to breathe each time you try is just normal and “suck it up,” no, sorry that doesn’t fly with me. Especially because face masks don’t do much of anything to stop the spread and may in fact make it worse, according to numerous doctors. You do what you want to do, I’ll do the only thing I can do which is avoid public places whenever possible. You’re welcome!

PS: For the dim-witted here since this needed to be said earlier, nobody cares about 30 minutes of shopping unless they didn’t discover the Internet. You can have everything delivered. Who cares what stores do or don’t require a mask? The 5-hour comment was about even the most basic flight. You do the math, it’s not hard. Here let me do it for you: 20 minute Uber ride (required mask), 2.5 hours at the airport because of slower boarding and enhanced screenings, and 2 hours on the plane. That’s 5 hours. If you’re counting getting out of the airport you land at, another 20 minutes at least. So yes, you’re going to supposedly wear a mask for 5 hours. By the way nobody does that, not even doctors, so you’re wrong about that. Doctors take off their masks in the hallway; one of my two best friends is a doctor, no, he doesn’t wear a mask for 12 hours ever. Get real.
I work a 5-hour shift doing physical labor in an unairconditioned entryway in Florida. We don't get scheduled breaks. I wear a mask the entire shift.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:36 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yesterday I saw a photo of a bar that was packed to the rafters with elbow to elbow boozers. Hey, it's the weekend. Saturday night fever.
Yeah, and in a few days, a fever may really show up for some.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:09 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not saying that anyone necessarily LIKES wearing masks. But my question is, why are some people making such a big stink about it? Why are some people calling it government overreach, and urging mass disobedience? Other than a bit of discomfort, why is it such a big deal with some people to be told to wear masks?

I'd like to answer, but I will admit I have not read the many pages of responses. Anyway, . . .

1. Some people cannot breathe well enough through masks. That group includes me. Therefore I do not wear a mask. However, I also do not make a big stink. (Yet.)

2. Normalizing mask-wearing will be detrimental to our immune systems long-term - especially having children wear them. We need exposure to the bad stuff so that our immune systems can grow strong.

3. People see that they are being told to wear masks at a time when the virus is on the downside. People in areas where there have been few cases, and sometimes no deaths, are being advised to wear masks. This is ridiculous. So, whether or not wearing the mask is torture, to be told to wear one when there is no reason is objectionable.

4. People object to mask-wearing because having everyone go around in masks adds to an atmosphere of fear.

5. Some people are still under the impression that masks are to protect the wearer. They know that the mask will not protect the wearer, but for some reason they have not yet heard that the mask is to protect other people.

6. People do not like being lied to. The CDC was saying "Don't wear masks, don't wear masks, don't wear masks." The real reason may have been to make sure enough masks were available for medical personnel, but that was not given as the only reason. We were told that there was no reason to be wearing cloth masks, either. The message was very clear: No masks. Then, all of a sudden, one day it changed from "No masks" to "Masks." So either Fauci and the CDC were lying before, or they're lying now, or they doesn't know what they're talking about. Any of those means loss of credibility.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:00 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
No, it isn’t. Can’t breathe means just that - literally cannot breathe. I’m glad you can, like I said, but don’t pull that card on me until you can do everything I can do, too. Can you bench press 275? Why not? Are you sure you’re just not maybe trying hard enough? I mean I can do it. Surely it’s reasonable to expect an adult human to be able to do that? I don’t get it, you’re just being selfish. So if you could save a child and all you had to do was throw up 275 on the bench, you’d just selfishly tell me you simply can’t do it? That seems crazy to me, I have no issues with that. Are you sure your version of “can’t lift this weight” is the same as mine? It just seems suspicious to me.

Do you see how stupid that sounds now? No amount of trying or wanting to breathe is going to make that happen, sorry to tell you. I’m glad that other people can wear them, I’ve talked to quite a few who can’t. To say that it’s acceptable to put on a mask and be dry heaving, gagging, and unable to breathe each time you try is just normal and “suck it up,” no, sorry that doesn’t fly with me. Especially because face masks don’t do much of anything to stop the spread and may in fact make it worse, according to numerous doctors. You do what you want to do, I’ll do the only thing I can do which is avoid public places whenever possible. You’re welcome!

PS: For the dim-witted here since this needed to be said earlier, nobody cares about 30 minutes of shopping unless they didn’t discover the Internet. You can have everything delivered. Who cares what stores do or don’t require a mask? The 5-hour comment was about even the most basic flight. You do the math, it’s not hard. Here let me do it for you: 20 minute Uber ride (required mask), 2.5 hours at the airport because of slower boarding and enhanced screenings, and 2 hours on the plane. That’s 5 hours. If you’re counting getting out of the airport you land at, another 20 minutes at least. So yes, you’re going to supposedly wear a mask for 5 hours. By the way nobody does that, not even doctors, so you’re wrong about that. Doctors take off their masks in the hallway; one of my two best friends is a doctor, no, he doesn’t wear a mask for 12 hours ever. Get real.
The only stupid thing I saw here was a comparison between benching 275 and breathing through a mask.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:28 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The only stupid thing I saw here was a comparison between benching 275 and breathing through a mask.

Thanks, I thought I was missing something.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:46 AM

995 posts, read 509,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I'd like to answer, but I will admit I have not read the many pages of responses. Anyway, . . .

1. Some people cannot breathe well enough through masks. That group includes me. Therefore I do not wear a mask. However, I also do not make a big stink. (Yet.)

2. Normalizing mask-wearing will be detrimental to our immune systems long-term - especially having children wear them. We need exposure to the bad stuff so that our immune systems can grow strong.

3. People see that they are being told to wear masks at a time when the virus is on the downside. People in areas where there have been few cases, and sometimes no deaths, are being advised to wear masks. This is ridiculous. So, whether or not wearing the mask is torture, to be told to wear one when there is no reason is objectionable.

4. People object to mask-wearing because having everyone go around in masks adds to an atmosphere of fear.

5. Some people are still under the impression that masks are to protect the wearer. They know that the mask will not protect the wearer, but for some reason they have not yet heard that the mask is to protect other people.

6. People do not like being lied to. The CDC was saying "Don't wear masks, don't wear masks, don't wear masks." The real reason may have been to make sure enough masks were available for medical personnel, but that was not given as the only reason. We were told that there was no reason to be wearing cloth masks, either. The message was very clear: No masks. Then, all of a sudden, one day it changed from "No masks" to "Masks." So either Fauci and the CDC were lying before, or they're lying now, or they doesn't know what they're talking about. Any of those means loss of credibility.
I'm with you on this one. I have a very difficult time with wearing a mask. Makes me get panicky about not catching my breath. Now that so many people are intolerant towards non mask-wearers, I'm now an outright refusenik. If it's easy for you, great. If I had a job that required wearing a mask, I'd be applying for disability. (More people should be doing this.)

I don't cope well with fear - I'd rather be dead then live in a climate where I'm scared to go out of the house. Since I don't see dead bodies everywhere, and I've yet to know anyone who's gotten covid, I'm not afraid to go out. Without a mask. If people are afraid of me, that's their problem, not mine. They can't be that afraid, since they got right up on me in the checkout line at the market the other day. I promise not to complain about you getting too close if you promise not to complain about me not wearing a mask!

And they want to open the movies back up, with masks. They wanna open up Disney World, masks required. Gotta have a mask to fly. Gotta wear a mask all day at school. Kids are gonna love that.

No, I refuse. I'll just do things that don't require a mask. The economy can stuff it.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:22 AM

4,930 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
They didn't die for your individual rights to endanger everyone you and your emissions encounter. They understand the value of teamwork and community and how the actions of each endangers the safety of all and you're too selfish to make the tiny sacrifice of putting on a mask.
Having studied the history of Covid, first discovered in 1965; I am an avid believer in herd immunity.
As we are truly herd animals, in this respect we will be better prepared for Covid-20; coming soon to a theater near you.

For years I complained at the fitness center about the lack of sanitation, which fell on deaf ears.
Members using the urinals, and not even washing their hands.
Only right before they closed did members and staff begin paying attention to hygiene issues.

And now I'm selfish for practicing something I and my doctor truly believe in?.
If you expect this pandemic to be the tie that binds us in a country without a culture; think again.
This is an election year, and those with the very common sense/critical thinking skills the government wants to eliminate; do not trust the very politicians ordering citizens to wear a mask.

Last edited by Sunbiz1; 05-18-2020 at 09:32 AM..

Old 05-18-2020, 09:30 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
This is an election year, and those with the very common sense/critical thinking skills the government wants to eliminate; do not trust the very politicians ordering citizens to wear a mask.

I do not trust the politicians in the government that are pushing a rushed national reopening against the advice of scientists and medical experts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates