Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 09:38 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

I don’t like it. I have also been wearing a mask when going for walks, and I like somewhere that can be hilly. It is not comfy to wear a mask when exerting yourself. I end up with a runny nose after 20 minutes. But sacrifice for the greater good.

I have noticed that in the last few weeks a lot of people are not masking as a matter of course.

I went for a walk in the park and there were a lot of events, limited social distancing, and few masks.

I think some people have covid fatigue and they are pretending things are back to normal.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:54 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

I went for a walk in the park and there were a lot of events, limited social distancing, and few masks.

I think some people have covid fatigue and they are pretending things are back to normal.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I like the phrase, “covid fatigue”. Good description.

But there are some who seem to feel that their refusal is some sort of political act or an exercise in exercising personal freedom. I would like the individual states to insist on mask wearing for most of us in every retail establishment and indoor gathering. I think that is what it would take to get widespread masking. And even then, we need to practice distancing.

You know, we don’t mask up when we walk in our park. But we are able to do distancing there. And it is my understanding that risk for transmission is lower if we distance outdoors.

The virus is not through with us.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:56 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Because they're not comfortable... I almost feel like I'm suffocating when I wear one..
If you come down with Covid 19 you will know was suffocating feels like. Imagine how it would feel to be drowning but to have death delay its release from your suffering. Covid 19 can make you feel like you are drowning for days, weeks, and even months, some survive but many go to their grave.

The masks provide minimal protection for the wearer but a lot of protection for all others. Do you really want others to suffer because you don't want to wear a mask?

Old 06-22-2020, 10:54 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. I like the phrase, “covid fatigue”. Good description.

But there are some who seem to feel that their refusal is some sort of political act or an exercise in exercising personal freedom. I would like the individual states to insist on mask wearing for most of us in every retail establishment and indoor gathering. I think that is what it would take to get widespread masking. And even then, we need to practice distancing.

You know, we don’t mask up when we walk in our park. But we are able to do distancing there. And it is my understanding that risk for transmission is lower if we distance outdoors.

The virus is not through with us.
Here in California, it was the first weekend of mandatory masking any time you are not at home. My building (I rent in a condo building) put up signs to say wear masks in the hallway, parking lot, mailroom, etc.

I didn't go to Juneteenth because I was worried about crowds, and it was certainly like pre-Corona times. I hardly saw anyone with a mask on and huge groups of friends hanging out. So definitely felt like denial.

I had a drink with a friend and he is over it on masking. He carries it, but he has met some friends for indoor and outdoor events in the past couple of weeks, and is planning to finish out the summer quarantine abroad. :O

I do also think there are plenty of people making a political statement, and I don't get it. It is so selfish.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:13 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
If you come down with Covid 19 you will know was suffocating feels like. Imagine how it would feel to be drowning but to have death delay its release from your suffering. Covid 19 can make you feel like you are drowning for days, weeks, and even months, some survive but many go to their grave.

The masks provide minimal protection for the wearer but a lot of protection for all others. Do you really want others to suffer because you don't want to wear a mask?
Maybe if it hits home for them, they'll understand better--their parents, grandparents or someone else close to them gets it. Unfortunately, this is the way some learn. Worse yet, if they were the ones to give it to them.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Here in California, it was the first weekend of mandatory masking any time you are not at home. My building (I rent in a condo building) put up signs to say wear masks in the hallway, parking lot, mailroom, etc.

I didn't go to Juneteenth because I was worried about crowds, and it was certainly like pre-Corona times. I hardly saw anyone with a mask on and huge groups of friends hanging out. So definitely felt like denial.

I had a drink with a friend and he is over it on masking. He carries it, but he has met some friends for indoor and outdoor events in the past couple of weeks, and is planning to finish out the summer quarantine abroad. :O

I do also think there are plenty of people making a political statement, and I don't get it. It is so selfish.
Beginning Friday in WA State, we are to wear masks when visiting public places, including outdoors if distancing cannot be maintained. Our LOCAL LE will not be enforcing this, however. So, masking will be required, but will not be enforced in our county. Plenty of people le here view weafing/not wearing masks as political.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:09 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I get the concern that we can't shut down our society indefinitely over coronavirus. But I don't get the opposition to wearing a mask in public. It seems like a reasonable middle ground to help prevent spread until a vaccine is found.
Are you assuming that everyone will run down and get the vaccine?
And that the vaccine will even be effective?..
so should we wear masks for all time now?...

Do YOU go shopping and spread your germs around when you're sick?..I know I don't!
Maybe we should make it a forever mandatory thing..live with masks on!..healthy or not....just in case..so other peoples paranoia doesn't act up.

Should we make it mandatory that masks be worn in public when you have a cold?..I see and hear lots of people with those,coughing and hacking everywhere they go..and how would you monitor whether someone is sick with a contagious disease when they're walking around town?..or eating in a restaurant?

What would you like mandated for those of us who will refuse the vaccine?

Last edited by purehuman; 06-25-2020 at 01:19 PM..

Old 06-25-2020, 05:09 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post

Do YOU go shopping and spread your germs around when you're sick?..I know I don't!
Maybe we should make it a forever mandatory thing..live with masks on!..healthy or not....just in case..so other peoples paranoia doesn't act up.

Should we make it mandatory that masks be worn in public when you have a cold?..I see and hear lots of people with those,coughing and hacking everywhere they go..and how would you monitor whether someone is sick with a contagious disease when they're walking around town?..or eating in a restaurant?

[Moderator cut: Keep your responses to others respectful, regardless of how much you may disagree with them.]
I'm not the person you were responding to but I'll provide my responses.

Yes, I would assume most people will eventually get the vaccine, but it doesn't matter if the vaccine works since my family and I will be protected.

There is a chance the vaccine won't be effective or it may take longer to develop an effective vaccine. Regardless, it doesn't change anything to speculate on it at this point.

Yes, we should all be wearing masks for as long as it takes to get this under control. It shouldn't be a big deal to people. The pandemic model they reported on yesterday predicted 180,000 deaths by October 1 if people don't wear masks. Those numbers drop to 146,000, if at least 95 percent of people wear masks in public.

This discussion is not about wearing a mask when you're sick with a cold. etc. We are talking about a pandemic that has already killed 125,000 people in this country. Please do what makes sense.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 06-25-2020 at 05:47 PM..

Old 06-26-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post

W er was
Acc

Wearing a mask in public is now mandated in my state. I believe other states will have to adopt this policy as well. Infection rates are rising throughout the country. We lack a vaccine and treatment for this virus. Even younger, healthier people can become quite ill with the virus, and some folks can die. Masking, distancing and hand hygiene are the three individual practices we have to protect ourselves and others.

No one knows how long we will have to do these things. I think it will be for longer than we want.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:23 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
As someone else said, wear a mask while walking your dog? How about down a lonely country road with no sidewalks? Will you catch or give it to people not wearing masks in cars zooming by you at 40 mpr? WHO is going to report or fine you?

I see it where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates