Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 08:20 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Geeze if that is the case then Biden has no chance come November.

I think the political angle is only believed by a minority...those that have to put a D/R label on every aspect of life.
I think the majority don't fear the virus because we've been told over and over "most only have mild symptoms" and people are willing to take that risk for a "mild flu".
It is not so much the mortality rate of this virus, so much as its high transmission rate may result in a dramatic increase in already vulnerable folks getting sick enough to require utilizing healthcare facilities and personnel, which may overload the system because other healthcare needs will not stop for the virus, but will just compound the issue.

Even barring the elderly and sick in nursing homes, our general population has many, many folks that would fit into the high-risk group, who if infected can fall ill enough to overwhelm the system. Lots of Boomers, lots of obese, lots of other borderline health issues.

A lot of these folks support the economy through their regular activities, which will be curtailed if infection rates increase enough for them to feel unsafe. As well as resultant government actions removing our ability to resume more normal business, commercial and leisure activities.

Simple preventative measures such as wearing a mask and social distancing keeps infections low enough to both prevent overwhelming the healthcare system, while allowing businesses to function with consumer confidence.

That affects everyone, because regardless of their risk or comfort levels.

I hope those that don’t wear a mask at least remove themselves from situations where they may become an infected spreader.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:48 AM

Are a lot of the younger people not wearing masks due to COVID fatigue? I imagine if they are required to wear it in low risk situations as well as high risk ones, they will more likely ‘burn out’ and not wear it in high risk situations.

I don’t wear one when I’m out walking the dog in my area. I consider it a low risk situation because we're usually alone the entire time, or moving quickly pass a few other walkers. Usually one of us crosses the street or one looks the other way if on a tight wooded trail.

I‘d rather people accurately weigh the risk and mask up during high risk situations, than burn out from doing so regardless, and stop wearing a mask in high risk situations.

And as we start flying again across this nation, this will not be limited to local behaviors and a local issue.

Last edited by mingna; 06-29-2020 at 09:22 AM..

Old 06-30-2020, 06:21 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Are a lot of the younger people not wearing masks due to COVID fatigue? I imagine if they are required to wear it in low risk situations as well as high risk ones, they will more likely ‘burn out’ and not wear it in high risk situations.

I don’t wear one when I’m out walking the dog in my area. I consider it a low risk situation because we're usually alone the entire time, or moving quickly pass a few other walkers. Usually one of us crosses the street or one looks the other way if on a tight wooded trail.

I‘d rather people accurately weigh the risk and mask up during high risk situations, than burn out from doing so regardless, and stop wearing a mask in high risk situations.

And as we start flying again across this nation, this will not be limited to local behaviors and a local issue.
There is no doubt about the fact that it is a lot harder for young people to accept the burden of wearing masks, even if they are only wearing them in "high risk" situations. I thought I was invincible and immortal when I was in my 20's and 30's too.

But once I took on the responsibility of a career and a family my outlook changed. For example, having a job that required wearing safety glasses and hearing protection when working around dangerous machinery. We all did it because we knew it was a requirement and knew the repercussions of ignoring the safety protocols. Wearing a mask doesn't feel much different to me. It is a necessary precaution.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:39 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post

But once I took on the responsibility of a career and a family my outlook changed. For example, having a job that required wearing safety glasses and hearing protection when working around dangerous machinery. We all did it because we knew it was a requirement and knew the repercussions of ignoring the safety protocols. Wearing a mask doesn't feel much different to me. It is a necessary precaution.
This is part of the confusion about masks and not necessarily consternation nor stubbornness in all cases. Safety devices to protect oneself when working around loud sounds, flying debris, dust, and dangerous air include ear plugs, safety glasses, and face masks. Yet, the COVID mantra is that masks do not protect the wearer, but protect others from the wearer. It's a contradiction. Around paint fumes a mask protects the wearer. Out in public a mask does not protect the wearer from COVID. The human brain does not function well in contradictionary situations. So what may appear as irresponsibility can be a confused brain.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
This is part of the confusion about masks and not necessarily consternation nor stubbornness in all cases. Safety devices to protect oneself when working around loud sounds, flying debris, dust, and dangerous air include ear plugs, safety glasses, and face masks. Yet, the COVID mantra is that masks do not protect the wearer, but protect others from the wearer. It's a contradiction. Around paint fumes a mask protects the wearer. Out in public a mask does not protect the wearer from COVID. The human brain does not function well in contradictionary situations. So what may appear as irresponsibility can be a confused brain.
Anything that inhibits the virus from entering your body helps.

The mask is a barrier for both viral exit from an infected person through their nose and mouth, and viral entry to a non-infected person through the same route.

Every bit helps reduce the risk of transmission.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:56 PM

[Moderator cut]

I hear ya. I am very sensitive to anything touching my face. I minimize my need to wear one by modifying my activities and behavior to minimize my risk, such as very early walks along routes where I am unlikely to encounter people.

When I'm forced to wear one in higher risk situations like grocery shopping, I try to minimize the amount of time I need to wear one by making a shopping list, frequenting the same stores where I am familiar with product location and customer flow, and making more frequent shorter visits than less frequent longer ones.

There are also more breathable masks that may alleviate the discomfort to tolerable levels for when wearing a mask is needed. There will probably be more in development as improvements are made in knowledge and material.

Check these out:
https://www.health.com/condition/inf...ble-face-masks

Old 06-30-2020, 01:44 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I thought I was invincible and immortal when I was in my 20's and 30's too.

I'm only immune to contagious illnesses.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not saying that anyone necessarily LIKES wearing masks. But my question is, why are some people making such a big stink about it? Why are some people calling it government overreach, and urging mass disobedience? Other than a bit of discomfort, why is it such a big deal with some people to be told to wear masks?

One reason is a distrust of government's intent due to politicization of this pandemic during our hotly contested presidential election year. Distrust also grew from seemingly contradictory information given as the pandemic rapidly unfolded, and new information about the virus and its disease is continually gathered. This may result in altered directives as new information is applied to current situations, but the end result is confusion and more distrust.

Another is the perception of undue infringement on personal freedoms due to the more individualistic nature of the US in general. Add on our society's current stage of heightened self-absorption, selfishness, and inability for delayed gratification by sacrificing today for gains tomorrow. This is especially found among the younger demographics, where the potential for disease severity is relatively lower. For them, the risk is viewed as low and the consequences minor, when viewed at the individual instead of societal level (including effect on our economy).

But a major reason may be the main approach towards this pandemic has so far been more about prevention than treatment. It requires people to be proactive instead of reactive, due to the nature of this virus and the disease it causes. Being proactive is always a harder sell because the goals may be far off and nebulous (how does wearing a mask save the economy and possibly my own job?), and the potential consequences yet unseen.

It's easier to get everyone to work together towards a common goal after the damage has occurred, after they have either personally suffered, or witnessed widespread suffering that directly impacted their own lives (e.g. Italy). As it is, the nature of this disease is not horrific nor widespread (at this time) enough to spur unanimous action. In which case, a simple act of wearing a mask in certain situations would now be viewed as a minor, yet necessary inconvenience.

Last edited by mingna; 06-30-2020 at 04:21 PM..

Old 07-02-2020, 01:14 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
[color=Red]

This discussion is not about wearing a mask when you're sick with a cold. etc. We are talking about a pandemic that has already killed 125,000 people in this country. Please do what makes sense.
This discussion is about wearing a mask EVEN when you're healthy!

Should be your choice...just as it was with H1N1.. SARS...etc...we didn't stop the economy and demand ridiculous "social distancing" for those.
We didn't deprive you of your livelihood then...nor force people into bankruptcy.
We didn't deprive people of their elective surgeries,some who've been waiting for debilitating lengths of time already.

Were you walking around with a mask and gloves on then?

125,000 is approx 0.0390625 % of 320,000,000...don't worry too much..your chances of dying from other diseases or ailments are much much higher.

I'm doing what makes sense..are you?

Last edited by purehuman; 07-02-2020 at 01:45 PM..

Old 07-02-2020, 03:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
This discussion is about wearing a mask EVEN when you're healthy!

Should be your choice...just as it was with H1N1.. SARS...etc...we didn't stop the economy and demand ridiculous "social distancing" for those.
We didn't deprive you of your livelihood then...nor force people into bankruptcy.
We didn't deprive people of their elective surgeries,some who've been waiting for debilitating lengths of time already.

Were you walking around with a mask and gloves on then?

125,000 is approx 0.0390625 % of 320,000,000...don't worry too much..your chances of dying from other diseases or ailments are much much higher.

I'm doing what makes sense..are you?
Sorry, but the title of this discussion is: Why is there such consternation about wearing masks?

It doesn't matter if you are healthy or unhealthy. It is the asymptomatic people who are spreading this virus, especially young people. There is actually no reason to be having this discussion because masks are now mandated in most places. It is not your choice and it doesn't matter if you think you're healthy.

Again this discussion is not about H1N1, SARS, or any other virus. This discussion is about Covid-19. The U.S. is at 131,387 deaths right now. The experts are predicting 200K deaths by fall. Other countries followed guidelines and controlled this pandemic. People in this country think they no better and don't want to follow guidelines. No state even followed the CDC guidelines for reopening and we are now paying the price with the virus spreading aroun d the country.

Yes, I'm attempting to do what makes sense. I'm leaving now to go to the gymn and I will be wearing a mask to lift weights because it was mandated by my governor yesterday. The governor of Texas just mandated masks this afternoon.

Be safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates