Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 08:23 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'd rather let rich have some extra money, than be quarantined because of an overblown Beer Flu bug.
That's you. Others feel differently. You do understand your opinion doesn't control public policy, don't you?

Old 06-03-2020, 08:25 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
That's you. Others feel differently. You do understand your opinion doesn't control public policy, don't you?
In a way, it does. Like my vote for Trump and Republican congressmen in November.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:42 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
I'd rather let rich have some extra money, than be quarantined because of an overblown Beer Flu bug.
Only in your brain, those 2 are opposites

Old 06-03-2020, 12:50 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Gotta be my own glorious 'a la Asterix' country in eastern europe: bulgaria. Mostly because other countries that are "conservative" these days are in fact alt-right: that is pro-russian, pro-israel, christian, for limited government, pro-business etc. Meanwhile we're so conservative we even think Putin is gay...imagine what we think about Elton John and Michael Kors.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:59 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Life experience and getting jaded over the years. Something about being liberal when you're older and having no brain. (And being conservative when you're young and having no heart.)
You're a Millennial. You wouldn't know what "Liberalism" was like, before the conservatives took power, and started trashing the federal budget to give part of it away to their elite cronies, while increasing taxes for the middle class. That's why the middle class is left holding the bag.

Liberalism is what created the Social Security system. Before that, widowed women had no choice but to clean houses, take in laundry, or go into prostitution to support their kids. And guess what? None of those lines of "work" paid enough for the kids to get 3 meals/day. The elderly had to keep working, if employers would allow them to, or sacrifice their food budget to pay the rent and utilities. Social Security was a godsend. Higher tax rates on the wealthy and on corporations paid for the country's interstate highway system, and other essential infrastructure. A lot of what you take for granted in terms of general QOL was the result of liberalism.

And guess why some of it can no longer be taken for granted today? Because non-liberals started changing things.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:01 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Gotta be my own glorious 'a la Asterix' country in eastern europe: bulgaria. Mostly because other countries that are "conservative" these days are in fact alt-right: that is pro-russian, pro-israel, christian, for limited government, pro-business etc. Meanwhile we're so conservative we even think Putin is gay...imagine what we think about Elton John and Michael Kors.
lol! Thanks for posting!

So, you're saying, that alt-right isn't conservative, it's something else? Could you elaborate?

from the Bulgarian viewpoint, Putin's anti-gay stance, then, is a clever smokescreen? That's very impressive; nobody can sneak anything past you Bulgarians!

Old 06-03-2020, 01:07 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
^ In all honesty it's just self-irony, the most conservative ones especially now that I mentioned LGBT rights gotta be some African countries, they literally have death penalty for such things or even "witch burning". Some of the things in a handful of African republics can't happen in Asia, Eastern Europe (or Australia lol) as much as some people love to hate on these places.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:09 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
I think the USA is conservative in general and is a good example.

I've had so many debates with Canadians and Europeans and they don't understand that, all the while my constant debating with them proves the point.

Much lower taxes than Europe, etc., 2A, live and let live attitude.

This is a good thing.

I want least amount of government in my life.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I think the USA is conservative in general and is a good example.

I've had so many debates with Canadians and Europeans and they don't understand that, all the while my constant debating with them proves the point.

Much lower taxes than Europe, etc., 2A, live and let live attitude.

This is a good thing.

I want least amount of government in my life.
What an odd argument.

Could it be that just possibly, other cultures have a different take on what is good? That other countries don't see government as the enemy.

That they see government in a much different way?

How does constant debating prove anything?

Old 06-03-2020, 03:34 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Liberalism is what created the Social Security system. Before that, widowed women had no choice but to clean houses, take in laundry, or go into prostitution to support their kids. And guess what? None of those lines of "work" paid enough for the kids to get 3 meals/day. The elderly had to keep working, if employers would allow them to, or sacrifice their food budget to pay the rent and utilities. Social Security was a godsend. Higher tax rates on the wealthy and on corporations paid for the country's interstate highway system, and other essential infrastructure. A lot of what you take for granted in terms of general QOL was the result of liberalism.
I like Eisenhower's conservatism, not so much Reagan's, or god forbid, Bush's. Eisenhower was one our nation's greatest presidents, on par with Washington and Lincoln. It was the 1950's. Under his office, we prospered in the most unprecedented ways, in ways we can only dream of today. When Kennedy and his liberalism stepped in, we had social unrest, not unlike today's Corona semi-hoax and the Antifa riots. Which happened mainly in liberal states and cities. Like Chicago, with its cowardly nutjob Lori Lightfoot; she threatened to arrest people for gathering in groups, but ordered the police not to stop the rioters. Who, by the way, weren't wearing masks or practicing social distancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You live in Illinois huh? I think your vote for Trump is pretty hopeless there.
Yeah, I know. I'm sure Illinois's corrupt electors (is there any other kind? ) will give my vote straight to Biden. But I do what I can.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 06-03-2020 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates