Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 08:42 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Does Russia look like one of the most conservative countries to you all? What other countries would consider more conservative without much if any liberal influences?
The one that comes instantly to mind is Saudi Arabia. But other countries in Africa and Asia may be just as conservative or even more so, just not as famous.

The U.S. is becoming more conservative as YouTube and FaceBook crack down on dissent.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:36 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The one that comes instantly to mind is Saudi Arabia. But other countries in Africa and Asia may be just as conservative or even more so, just not as famous.

The U.S. is becoming more conservative as YouTube and FaceBook crack down on dissent.
Saudi came to my mind as well. The treatment of women is the most backward of any place, except perhaps some countries in East Asia. Additionally, there is slavery in those countries.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:30 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Canada, Western Europe and Australia are very conservative when it comes to enforcing immigration laws. That is why they have nothing like the illegal alien fiasco that we have in the United States.

This also affords these countries the luxury of being liberal about almost everything else.
Hmm. Define "conservative."

As a dual citizen, I think Canadian immigration policy, as an example, is more selective than US policy. Far more so. But in terms of actual numbers, Canada's immigration is also far more liberal (not saying that's a good thing; just stating fact).

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...gration-policy

Old 05-20-2020, 03:48 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
In Europe, everyone accepts the idea that the US are much more strict when it comes to illegal immigration.
If that is the case, then Europeans are greatly mistaken. The U.K. and Germany each have an estimated 800,000 to 1 million illegal immigrants, whereas the U.S. has at least 11 million to 20 million illegal immigrants.

There is no comparison.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:28 PM

16 posts, read 4,057 times
The most liberal nation in the world? Well, perhaps that nation(s) that are so liberal that being a conservative there makes you an extreme minority.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:04 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
In my observation, YouTube and Facebook are actively cracking down on conservative content, like anti-quarantine protests and proofs that Rona dangers are overblown and overhyped. They delete those posts like it's going out of style. All while allowing liberal content, even the radical variety, to remain completely untouched. I saw it happen, so I know. The owners being liberal explains a lot.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:40 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If that is the case, then Europeans are greatly mistaken. The U.K. and Germany each have an estimated 800,000 to 1 million illegal immigrants, whereas the U.S. has at least 11 million to 20 million illegal immigrants.

There is no comparison.
I don't see a contradiction, though it's mostly 10.3 to 10.7M in the US (estimate range) vs 3.9 to 4.8M in Europe.

The US are used to treat "illegal" immigrants much more harshly, and that is what's behind the use of the word "strict" in that sentence. Maybe they have higher volumes, but that's irrelevant. And having higher volume absolutely doesn't mean the system is less strict in the US.

I still maintain that in Europe, even if you're illegal, undocumented, whatever, you have a chance to not be deported. In the US? If you are caught, there is almost no recourse and you're out. For me, that is the difference.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:59 AM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
I think it has to be defined as socially or fiscally conservative or both.

I would say Singapore has both. They have low taxes, no capital gains or inheritance taxes. The country supports free enterprise. Socially they have film censorship for nudity in films and the government is considered conservative. They have capital punishment. They have had the same political party in power since 1959. I think they check off all the boxes. They also do a good job with health care without having to resort to socialized medicine.

The biggest "socially" conservative country is China. Yet China is fiscally very far left. The believe in controlling the economy with business and industry fearing the government.

I don't Russia qualifies. Socially they are probably middle of the road. And fiscally the government still has a lot of control over who has what with a strong central government. That is a hallmark of the left.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 05-21-2020 at 09:25 AM..

Old 05-21-2020, 09:25 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
In my observation, YouTube and Facebook are actively cracking down on conservative content, like anti-quarantine protests and proofs that Rona dangers are overblown and overhyped. They delete those posts like it's going out of style. All while allowing liberal content, even the radical variety, to remain completely untouched. I saw it happen, so I know. The owners being liberal explains a lot.
Yes, but using the definition where "conservative" means to "maintain the status quo", the censorship by the above named Left Wing sites illustrates my point. Today's mainstream culture in America is decidedly left of center, and the people making money off that culture don't want political distractions on their platforms.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:30 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Freedom Of The Press belongs to those who own one. If you don't like their web site, start your own. City-Data censors liberal posts. They can do it because they own it. No harm, no foul, and no law that says you have to host opinions you disagree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates