Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 03:46 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,667,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
What an odd argument.
How? Look at the USA, it's more conservative than most of its allies that are also first world nations. Need I lay into examples? We don't have socialized healthcare forced down our throat, we can carry guns, etc. I just talked to my friend who lives in the UK last night....it is literally illegal to have sex with anyone other than you live with there now with their CV shutdown. I had to ask him if he was pulling my leg about 5 times.

Quote:
Could it be that just possibly, other cultures have a different take on what is good? That other countries don't see government as the enemy.
I don't really care what you think is good or what Europeans think is good for the USA.

I never said I see the government as an enemy, I just like to live my life with minimal hassle from it.

Quote:
How does constant debating prove anything?
Welp, I've called you and your ilk (most of whom live in the USA half the year) out about a hundred times.

So I've proven that.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:05 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
How? Look at the USA, it's more conservative than most of its allies that are also first world nations. Need I lay into examples? We don't have socialized healthcare forced down our throat, we can carry guns, etc. I just talked to my friend who lives in the UK last night....it is literally illegal to have sex with anyone other than you live with there now with their CV shutdown. I had to ask him if he was pulling my leg about 5 times.
All while the violent convicts are released from prisons into society. To protect the convicts from Covid-19, obviously.

And that, City-Data friends, is our modern-day liberalism.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
All while the violent convicts are released from prisons into society. To protect the convicts from Covid-19, obviously.

And that, City-Data friends, is our modern-day liberalism.
It's a disease.

Just wait until election night. I would give up 5 months of my life to skip right to November, lol.

All these people looting and causing violence, they ain't republicans!

Old 06-03-2020, 04:23 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,455,931 times
Liberalism is the future. Go to Saudi Arabia if you don't like it.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Hopefully, that future won't be in my lifetime.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:34 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post

I don't really care what you think is good or what Europeans think is good for the USA.

I never said I see the government as an enemy, I just like to live my life with minimal hassle from it.

Welp, I've called you and your ilk (most of whom live in the USA half the year) out about a hundred times.

So I've proven that.
The odd argument comment was in regards to you saying that constant debating proves your point. It doesn't. The " good example " comment as well. The US is not a good example of a conservative country with no liberals. It's generally conservative in some areas, but there are a heck of a lot of liberals in the US. Thank goodness.

As for the UK, media loves to throw sex in a headline. The UK is loosening up the number of people that you can meet outdoors. You can have five people in your garden for a BBQ but not indoors. They don't want people in close contact indoors with people that do not live in that household. So, ya couples that don't live together are out of luck. I hardly think they are specifically targeting sexual relations of couples who live apart.

Explaining to you what other countries may think of is good, isn't telling you what is good for the US, however you telling us that lower taxes is good, is. Which you did. Also the gun thing and healthcare.

In all your posts that i have read, I have only seen posts where you think you have called people out. Telling a certain person who disagrees with your points about certain US issues that they have no argument because that person has a second home in the US is nonsensical.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:29 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
What an odd statement.

There are plenty of countries that lean more towards the conservative spectrum, but are nowhere near Saudi Arabia. That's an example of extremism rather than conservatism, but even they appear to be loosening up.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
The odd argument comment was in regards to you saying that constant debating proves your point. It doesn't. The " good example " comment as well. The US is not a good example of a conservative country with no liberals. It's generally conservative in some areas, but there are a heck of a lot of liberals in the US. Thank goodness.
The USA is not a liberal nation if you look at it worldwide.

Can you or a European walk outside your home right now and legally shoot a gun for target practice like I can? No.

Quote:
As for the UK, media loves to throw sex in a headline. The UK is loosening up the number of people that you can meet outdoors. You can have five people in your garden for a BBQ but not indoors. They don't want people in close contact indoors with people that do not live in that household. So, ya couples that don't live together are out of luck. I hardly think they are specifically targeting sexual relations of couples who live apart.
This has nothing to do with the news. This was a friend of mine in a one on one conversation. It is illegal to have sex with anyone that you don't live with, according to him. He lives in Banbury, UK.

Quote:
Explaining to you what other countries may think of is good, isn't telling you what is good for the US, however you telling us that lower taxes is good, is. Which you did. Also the gun thing and healthcare.

In all your posts that i have read, I have only seen posts where you think you have called people out. Telling a certain person who disagrees with your points about certain US issues that they have no argument because that person has a second home in the US is nonsensical.
No, I just won't tolerate the smugness. What scathing hypocrites. Like most liberals are.

You think you have a say because you spend money here? And how dare those people criticize their host like that.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:46 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
It would interesting to look at countries that very conservative. Especially looking at those countries that very few liberals, especially liberals in power. Unlike USA, countries without a large liberal in government would have a free hand in implementing conservative governmental and social policies. Possibly, could achieve a must more cohesive and orderly society based on conservative principles.....

Does Russia look like one of the most conservative countries to you all? What other countries would consider more conservative without much if any liberal influences?

Conservative, I think, is a word that really has no meaning beyond the ultimate universal definition of world history: Theocratic and/or autocratic monarchism centering around national or tribal identity. The pre-modern world is the baseline of conservatism.

In that regard, the Arab regions formerly associated under the Islamic caliphate would be the most conservative countries in the world even by the standards of the old world. Highly autocratic, with hereditary monarchies or despotisms, and societies structured in accordance with religious beliefs that are assumed as a matter of inheritance at birth.

Russia is a country in mid-evolution from communism to something else more free market or mixed market. It has many conservative elements of its own... but the terms conservative and liberal are not meaning the same things they mean in America. But Russia is also pretty liberal, in American terms, when it comes to sexual morays and all the vices.

In Europe, liberal is a perjorative used for "free market", as a term of disdain or just caution. Unlike in America, where many people take liberal to mean less free market and more social democrat... like Europe.

The modern United States by comparison to Arabia today is NOT a conservative country, and really never was on a national level. In fact, the USA, like France in the late 18th century, marked the beginning of the POST-modern world which defied the norms of the pre-modern world.

But nevertheless, the US - like the West as a whole - has fading elements that are distinctly "conservative" within the context of its own history. Like Christianity, libertarianism, republicanism, xenophobia, nationalism. They're just not nearly what they were in 1800. Back in those days, the US would have rivaled modern Saudi Arabia for religious dogmatism. But in a different expression. Religion was never STATE POLICY in the United States like it is in Arabia.

So, to me, the Middle East is the most conservative place in the world today, followed closely by some lesser or smaller secular dictatorships currently recognized as communist (North Korea standing out most of all). North Korea is RIDICULOUSLY conservative in its own context. But it is a SECULAR sort of "religious" orthodoxy. They call it "Juche"... which means an ideology of extreme self-sufficiency (xenophobia).

Just my three cents.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
So, to me, the Middle East is the most conservative place in the world today, followed closely by some lesser or smaller secular dictatorships currently recognized as communist (North Korea standing out most of all). North Korea is RIDICULOUSLY conservative in its own context. But it is a SECULAR sort of "religious" orthodoxy. They call it "Juche"... which means an ideology of extreme self-sufficiency (xenophobia).
Actually, North Korea is extremely liberal (in the American sense of the word). Same with China, to a lesser extent. In other words, extensive government overreach and regulations that make New York, Illinois, and California look like the Wild West in comparison. But if you go far enough left or far enough right, the political spectrum wraps around itself, and becomes pretty much the same thing: a horrible place to live.

Still funny how North Korea had almost no Corona cases (reportedly, at least), while the liberal US states were filled with them, like China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates