Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2020, 10:54 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,924,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
These cookie-cutter camo-clad, tubby, tattooed, bearded, armed and unmasked loons hanged the governor of Kentucky in effigy yesterday, in front of the Governor's Mansion (adjacent to the Kentucky State Capitol Building) where he, his wife, and two young children were present. They loudly played a recording of "Proud to be an American" while clumsily rigging up the rope in a pretty old tree in front of the Capitol. it also bore a large decorative flower basket suspended from its broad limbs, as is customary each spring and summer. Before the flower basket was joined by the effigy, it was a pretty sight. No one could say that about those "protesting".

After hanging the effigy, they went up onto the mansion's front porch with their guns and signs, and chanted loud threats against the governor. A few brought young children.

It was organized by the 3%ers, and they numbered 100 at best. The guy who hanged the effigy, which was adorned with a sign reading "Sic semper tyrannis" ("Thus even to tyrants", famously uttered by John Wilkes Booth immediately after shooting Abraham Lincoln in Ford's Theater), is the husband of the local band of 3%ers.

They are being roundly condemned throughout the Commonwealth for this idiocy. Governor Andy Beshear's approval rate for his sensible, compassionate decisions was 81% among Kentuckians in a recent poll. I don't think the tubby brigade is going to win many hearts and minds to their "cause", but they do appear to be escalating, and that is worrisome. I have no idea where the Kentucky State Police were yesterday when the near-mob made its way to the governor's front door. They did remove the effigy after everyone got a good look.

Funny thing, essential occupation employers are advertising job openings right now. But it appears the camo-clad gun-toters are more concerned about eating out, getting a hair cut, and playing dress-up and showing off their, um, "guns", with their look-alike bearded buddies. All of which they can do legally at present, along with getting yet more tattoos, hitting the tanning salons and massage therapists. But they dislike masks and don't believe in social distancing, from all evidence, viewing both as infringements on their "freedom" rather than sensible precautions to protect public health.

I am happy to report that a very civil counter-demonstration showing support for our governor was held this afternoon. The unkempt 3%ers don't represent the vast majority of Kentuckians, by any means, and it's a shame their idiotic behavior is likely to unjustly tarnish the reputation of my beautiful state, and add to its "hillbilly" stereotype.

Their gripe? They claim their rights are being infringed by Governor Beshear's very moderate, sensible, four-step reopening of Kentucky's public businesses and places (we're presently on Step 2).

Patriots? Nope, just dumb Covidiots.

Absolutely incredible. Even though I'm a Buckeye I love Kentucky, my favorite state in the Union, from Hazard to Paradise to Paducah. I have been all over the commonwealth, worked there for a while, and don't know any Kentuckians who would behave like this or think like this. What the hell is wrong with these people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 11:00 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And even if that's the case, the way to make change is to actually follow the Constitution that these guys like to hide behind, and run for office and hold officials accountable (and actually read the document and understand what your rights and responsibilities are.) Peaceful protest and assembly is one thing, but storming the capitol with weapons is not how change is made in American goverment.
Im assuming you are aware of how America won its independence...The people have the authority to remove a govt from power (and not by means of voting them out) under certain circumstances. American people are NEVER to obey or comply with unconstitutional or tyrannical laws.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:10 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Yes, of course there is a difference.
But please explain what the actual purpose of carrying a gun is, if the carrier has absolutely zero intention of shooting it?
(I accidentally rep'd you when I meant to click "quote")
The same reason you carry a spare tire, car insurance or a fire extinguisher.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Not the same at all in the context of a protest. Having a flat tire or a fender bender is common. Engaging in a shootout is not.

What threat were they anticipating at the state capital?

Old 05-27-2020, 11:30 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
Very pleased to see responsible gun owners speak out about the loons who show up at these rallies like they were headed to a gang war. The voice of reason is not what we see at these rallies--especially from the folks who show up toting an assault rifle to a demonstration over wearing a mask to deter a virus.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:20 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,673,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Yes, of course there is a difference.
But please explain what the actual purpose of carrying a gun is, if the carrier has absolutely zero intention of shooting it?
(I accidentally rep'd you when I meant to click "quote")
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I use all those items you mention. So you are saying the protestors did intend to shoot people? The police? Elected officials? Passersby who were unsupportive? Who exactly? And how do you envision that playing out? I'm truly confused here.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:47 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,369,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
It's their right.

It's no different than people marching with "Abortion is Murder" (or "My Body, My Choice") placards.. People burning the flag or the nutsy fagans at Westboro Baptist Church with their "God Hates ****" signs.

To have a free society you have to give others free speech that you might not agree with. And whether you like it or you don't like it.. What they're doing, along with the folks in the other examples I mentioned above, is exercising their free speech.

And.. Yes.. Sometimes people should remember the old adage about it being better to let people think you're an idiot than opening your mouth and removing all doubt. That holds true in free speech events as well.
Even if it is the right of the protesters to carry guns, there is something very threatening about being confronted by a crowd with many carrying weapons. Why do they carry guns instead of just marching with placards? Because they want to imply a threat—“You are not going to tell me what to do.” And “If you do, you will pay.”

Old 05-27-2020, 02:04 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,369,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im assuming you are aware of how America won its independence...The people have the authority to remove a govt from power (and not by means of voting them out) under certain circumstances.
Believe it or not, what you say is the actual meaning if the Second Amendment . It is to prevent our nation from being overtaken and having a King.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:28 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
Quote:
Im assuming you are aware of how America won its independence...The people have the authority to remove a govt from power (and not by means of voting them out) under certain circumstances. American people are NEVER to obey or comply with unconstitutional or tyrannical laws.
Yes, those minutemen fought bravely....for a few battles. Then were eager to go home after a few months and not interested in fighting on for months or years with their only payments in IOUs that might never pay out.

The American rebels had a substantial assist from the other superpower at the time, France, whose money made it possible to have soldiers, whose reserves made it possible to have a decent-sized army, and whose fleet made it possible to actually win the crucial battle.

Let me know when those gun nuts ally with Russia or China and I'll start worrying about the U.S.'s standing.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-27-2020 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-27-2020, 03:28 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
Which people get to decide what laws are "unconstitutional or tyrannical"?

What process do they engage in to reach this decision?

If peaceful means don't exist to remove leaders from power I sort of understand this position.

I don't understand it all when there are regular elections which are conducted in a straightforward manner. Nor, do I understand "the people" deciding on what is a constitutional or tyrannical law when we have courts that decide what laws and actions by our government are unconstitutional.

The Founding Fathers supported law and order. Not continual anarchy and revolution. Doubt me? Read about how George Washington lead troops as President to put down the Whiskey Rebellion in Pennsylvania after America became a nation.

I would say it was not individuals that sought freedom from the British. It was the thirteen colonies that did. It was done through a written declaration of independence only after other more peaceful methods had failed. More importantly, we had no say in whether King George was our ruler or not. Nor, could we elect ministers to the British Parliament.

If there is a right to rebel against the central government, I would say that right belongs entities like colonies or states, not individuals. Each individual getting to decide on his own to rebel? That's a recipe for absolute chaos.

Last edited by markg91359; 05-27-2020 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates